Question: MGRS / UTM inconsistency by JTAC

Scuby

Hello,

Have something I need to check with you guys.

In one of the earlier missions in Georgian Hammer, it appeared that one of the JTAC forwarded a specific coordinate in the 9-line, which - after entered in a new waypoint - resulted in a location with a distance of 300 mile (logically outside mission area). However, when the datalink point was received from that same 9-line and after manually checking the corresponding coordinates in the TGP, it turned out that these coordinates were consistent with the coordinates from the 9-line... thus pointing to the intended location.

Have you guys experienced this? If yes, how come that the manual waypoint was placed incorrectly, while the datalink and TGP are pointing to the correct coordinates?

p.s. I assure that there was no typing bias, I have entered the correct coordinates more than 3 times, including letters and digits, and verified the updated CDU WP info.

Hope my explanation is ok.

Edit:

As it turns out, I have another example of the problem. In this video starting from 54:40, clearly the coordinates from the 9-line read "KM516450". First I update the numbers in the CDU waypoint. This results in a point with 16 miles distance. After updating the letters from GG to KM, this results in a point with 300+ miles distance (see HUD and HSI).

Thanks!

Scuby

Edited by Scuby

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

Did you checked the right map sector? 37t , 38t ....

Hi mate,

No I did not check that. JTAC does not give the map sector. How would you know the correct map sector with the coordinates of the JTAC? I assume that for mission logic all entities would be working from the same sector grid?

(would be kind of annoying if the campaign is split by two or more sectors :S )

Edited by Scuby

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

My bullet proof method: if the waypoint is 800 nmi away, its the other one :)

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

After reading some more through the forum, i understand now that you should just "know" that the border between map sectors 37T and 38T is running right next to Batumi / coastline. Meaning that for Georgian Hammer campaign you must adjust accordingly. Besides grid squares, does the mission editor also display map sector? Couldn't find that though...

After reading some more through the forum, i understand now that you should just "know" that the border between map sectors 37T and 38T is running right next to Batumi / coastline. Meaning that for Georgian Hammer campaign you must adjust accordingly. Besides grid squares, does the mission editor also display map sector? Couldn't find that though...

See this...

http://www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/http:/www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/styled-9/styled-3/index.html

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

It sure does. Go into game options (the one at the main DCS start screen) and change the map coordinate system to UTM's from Lats/Longs. That way in the mission planner before you launch you can mouse around on the map and it will show which zone you will be in. Jot it down and away you go!:thumbup:

One easy way to know what position the jtac means, is to identify the first letter of the target coordinates.

The caucasus map has 37 T and 38 T, so if the first letter is G its 37 T, if it`s K it`s 38 T.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Thanks to all for your input!! Indeed I have come to the same conclusions.

Now, I have the following issue:

I like to write on-the-fly with the JTAC 9 line. I use a new WP for this. Now, for example purposes let's assume this new WP is originally set to 37T. During the 9 line readout I update the new WP with the coordinates from JTAC, let's assume KMxxxxxx. Now, once I update the new WP with the map sector to 38T, the new WP "sort of resets" and I loose all the previously entered coordinates. This appears not very logical and inconsistent for that matter. Is the CDU / WP page supposed to work like that when updating map sector?

Edited by Scuby

Now, once I update the new WP with the map sector to 38T, the new WP "sort of resets" and I loose all the previously entered coordinates. This appears not very logical and inconsistent for that matter. Is the CDU / WP page supposed to work like that when updating map sector?

That's been the behavior I've always seen as well. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that.

But in a way it would make sense. When entering an entirely new Grid Zone, it seems logical to also reset the actual grid data in order to avoid accidentally targeting grid KM 12300 45600 in 37T instead of 38T.

In any case, if you have to switch the grid, enter the new grid zone first, then the grid.

Once you get more accustomed to the Caucasus map, you'll know when to expect problems. Most commonly, flights that start in Batumi or Kobuleti and then move east will encounter the problem, as well as flights starting in Tbilisi and then operating near the coat (just the other way around).

Of course the best solution would be if the JTAC just included the GZD in the coord, but this is one of so many items that DCS could improve on, I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick fix...

• 1 month later...

Thanks Yurgon. I think I'll switch to writing the 9-line brief with pen on a standard format 9-line, like they do in RL. After that it will be easy to enter the correct grid, without reset issue. Ofcourse many other people will suggest to wait for the datalink transfer, but what is the fun in that :P

Cheers!

Scub

Ha yeah i'm sure most of us just wait for the red triangle and hook that up on the TAD. To be honest, i used to ignore most of the 9-line information, apart from the co-ords which i didnt mind keying into the cdu, stuff like the ingress and egress points i ignored and just turned in on the target ;)

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP