How to change color of target icon? (color blind to red and green color)

bofhlusr

I have difficulty in quickly diffentiating between red and green colors. Is there a simple modification to a file that will allow me to change the color of either red or white icon (target) to white or light blue? Thanks.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

I'm talking to DCS' tech support. Their suggestion is to make the change to

--

... you can change color of target icons in file labels.lua

\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\Labels.lua

ColorAliesSide = {255, 0, 0}

ColorEnemiesSide = {0, 0, 255}

--

Which I did, but it is still not working for me after changing the enemy colors to {255,255,255} or white. The color did not change to white, and I am still waiting for a reply from them.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

I'm talking to DCS' tech support. Their suggestion is to make the change to

--

... you can change color of target icons in file labels.lua

\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\Labels.lua

ColorAliesSide = {255, 0, 0}

ColorEnemiesSide = {0, 0, 255}

--

Which I did, but it is still not working for me after changing the enemy colors to {255,255,255} or white. The color did not change to white, and I am still waiting for a reply from them.

That will change the labels. Are you trying to do that or change the colour on the TADS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to being a newbie I'm also partially color blind to red and green (ask me how I differentiate traffic lights) so the learning curve is doubly hard. I'm not sure what a TAD is. All I'm trying to do is make the diamond icons or target marks(?) more visible to me when I press F4 in the first Instant Action mission in the A-10C game.

In addition to being a newbie I'm also partially color blind to red and green (ask me how I differentiate traffic lights) so the learning curve is doubly hard. I'm not sure what a TAD is. All I'm trying to do is make the diamond icons or target marks(?) more visible to me when I press F4 in the first Instant Action mission in the A-10C game.

Ouch . . . . how do you see the green HUD?

Ouch . . . . how do you see the green HUD?

It does not prevents him to see contrast difference reading any color characters. It just makes it hard/impossible for him to say which character is red or green, if you WOULD write on a HUD (or anywhere else) with random red and green characters only, in the same text. Similar, as you would see the same picture in black and white. You see the characters, but couldn't tell the colour.

It does not prevents him to see contrast difference reading any color characters. It just makes it hard/impossible for him to say which character is red or green, if you WOULD write on a HUD (or anywhere else) with random red and green characters only, in the same text. Similar, as you would see the same picture in black and white. You see the characters, but couldn't tell the colour.

:thumbup:

Exactly right. For the traffic lights, I drive the car based on the position of the light that newly changed. Target icons in DCS are difficult to distinguish because they have the same shape and decisions have to be quickly made too.

I too am colored blind, I cannot see a number in that circle. Its funny how the USAF Recruiter passed me, with red, yellow and green pencils. shocking.gif

MSI R9 280X 6GB x2 Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit/ X52 & CH Pedals/ MSI DS502 GAMING Headset

Yep, I don't see no stinkin' numbers.

I found out about this test when I was in Grade 6. Before that I thought stained wood (like doors) were red until someone corrected me and said that they are in fact colored brown (maybe he said green ...I've forgotten which is which).

Didn't really much care until I started dabbling in electronics. Everything there (resistors, wires, capacitors, etc.) is color coded. So so I gave that up and didn't much mind until now trying to really get into DCS games.

OK, so what is the number?

OK, so what is the number?

How about now?

PQNCIpl.jpg

We the ones that can brag about seeing the numbers can be sure that what we think is green or orange, etc is not like that for the other ones... we just detect it and call it the same. But the experience is different.

As for the file that needs to be changed must be something in the TAD folder from Cockpit scripts I think.

edit

I found only things about size of the cursor in TAD.lua from \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\TAD

Make backup of it and you can try editing (using notepad++) the line 23

cursor_size = 20 / 570

try different values maybe, I'm thinking a cursor sized on the entire screen it will be easier to see.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

You missed a heck of an opportunity to mess with people ya' know.

That's so messed up :lol:

-SilentGun

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Yep, I'm definitely still and always was color blind. I kept looking at the original graphic and just can't see 74.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. Maybe size really matters. A different sized icon will definitely help. I was hoping there is a bitmap inside a compressed file somewhere or a reference pointer to a bitmap file that I can change.

How about now?

PQNCIpl.jpg

We the ones that can brag about seeing the numbers can be sure that what we think is green or orange, etc is not like that for the other ones... we just detect it and call it the same. But the experience is different.

As for the file that needs to be changed must be something in the TAD folder from Cockpit scripts I think.

edit

I found only things about size of the cursor in TAD.lua from \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\TAD

cursor_size = 20 / 570

try different values maybe, I'm thinking a cursor sized on the entire screen it will be easier to see.

I made the change by doubling the values to 40/1140. It didn't make a difference. Does it make a difference in yours. Maybe I am not doing it right.

How about now?

cursor_size = 20 / 570

For the HUD only

Below the Left MFCD is the Day/Night toggle to change the HUD colours from green to orange.

One tool to help.

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

• 2 weeks later...
I took a look around the TAD script files but didn't see anything that may help with this. I'm afraid the symbols are images with hardcoded colors.

Nah, that can't be right... if you look at the TGA files they are all white, so the color must be applied elsewhere...

edit:

There's a materials.lua file that looks like it defines materials (colours) for a whole bunch of stuff, like this:

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_WHITE"] = {255, 255, 255, 255}

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_GREY"] = {245, 245, 245, 255}

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_DARK_GREY"] = {100, 100, 100, 255}

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_RED"] = {255, 0, 0, 255}

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_GREEN"] = {0, 255, 0, 255}

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_BLUE"] = {0, 0, 255, 255}

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_BLACK"] = {0, 0, 0, 255, 255}

materials["INDICATION_COMMON_AMBER"] = {255,161,45,100}

materials["CMS_GREEN"] = {118, 249, 31, 255}

materials["MFCD_BLUE"] = {100, 100, 255, 255}

materials["MFCD_GREEN"] = {0, 255, 0, 255}

materials["MFCD_RED"] = {255, 0, 0, 255}

materials["MFCD_WHITE"] = {255, 255, 255, 255}

materials["MFCD_YELLOW"] = {255, 255, 0, 255}

I didn't go through the whole file, but I already see "MFCD_GREEN" and "MFCD_RED". I tried changing "MFCD_GREEN" to Fuchsia (that's like purple) and it seems to be working, see my screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/cVdgx9d.jpg

So it looks like you should be able to change up the colours on the MFCD and a whole bunch elsewhere to whatever you want.

bofhlusr, do you know how to use HEX colour codes? If not let me know and I can help explain to you how to set these up to whatever coloursyou want.

The file is located at \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts

Edited by guitarxe
more info

• 3 years later...
Nah, that can't be right... if you look at the TGA files they are all white, so the color must be applied elsewhere...

edit:

There's a materials.lua file that looks like it defines materials (colours) for a whole bunch of stuff, like this:

I didn't go through the whole file, but I already see "MFCD_GREEN" and "MFCD_RED". I tried changing "MFCD_GREEN" to Fuchsia (that's like purple) and it seems to be working, see my screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/cVdgx9d.jpg

So it looks like you should be able to change up the colours on the MFCD and a whole bunch elsewhere to whatever you want.

bofhlusr, do you know how to use HEX colour codes? If not let me know and I can help explain to you how to set these up to whatever coloursyou want.

The file is located at \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts

I needed to bump this as I am also color blind and need to be able to change the color of the red dots that designate targets that are visible (to everybody except us color blind flyers) before the labels show. I am flying the F/A-18C and trying to use the AGM65F and cannot do it very well if I can't see the targets. Does anybody know if the info in this thread works and if so, what is the name of the "red dots" that designate the target?

Thanks,

Dave