Cockpit Shadows Too Dark?

Mad Dog 7.62

So I have thought this for a while, and Wags images of the new Mig 29 cockpit brought the thought up again.....does it seem to anyone else that the cockpit shadows are TOO dark? Sure seems like it to me. And I am concerned more now because I noted that in 1.5 it won't be possible to turn them off. Thoughts?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I did not say it was "wrong" but it is too dark for my taste in the current build and appears to continue to be the same darkness in 1.5. Sheesh. I also am not reporting a "bug", just asking others opinions. Thanks for moving the thread to Siberia. I guess asking a question is Verboten.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

Its in the correct section, its a general question, not a bug report.

if asking was verboten, the thread would be gone, not moved.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I did not say it was "wrong" but it is too dark for my taste in the current build and appears to continue to be the same darkness in 1.5. Sheesh. I also am not reporting a "bug", just asking others opinions. Thanks for moving the thread to Siberia. I guess asking a question is Verboten.

Have you tried adjusting Gamma in 1.2 to lighten them?

So I have thought this for a while, and Wags images of the new Mig 29 cockpit brought the thought up again.....does it seem to anyone else that the cockpit shadows are TOO dark? Sure seems like it to me. And I am concerned more now because I noted that in 1.5 it won't be possible to turn them off. Thoughts?

Thanks Mad dog for bringing this up.

Yes Sir. I second that. I think the shadow in cockpit in general is to dark. I have played with my monitor settings. If you correct bright/gamma to fit the cockpit, the rest is to bright. So I think you are right, the cockpit is to dark.

Cheers

Intel I7 4770K, Evga 1080 FE, win10 64Pro, 32GB ram, TracIR 5, Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar x2, MFG Crosswind

Thanks Mad dog for bringing this up.

Yes Sir. I second that. I think the shadow in cockpit in general is to dark. I have played with my monitor settings. If you correct bright/gamma to fit the cockpit, the rest is to bright. So I think you are right, the cockpit is to dark.

Cheers

Really? You've played the 1.5 build already? You've checked the settings for the shadows?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Just a "General Discussion" Page. Most certainly would have brought this up if we were sitting around a table knocking back beer.

I believe you may want to "Calibrate" your monitor, unless of course you have already.

As to your Q. They looked really good to me in the images posted recently.

I was looking and immediately thought the "Eye Candy" is as good as GTA V, My son was playing just a few minutes before I looked at the images.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

WIP

Don't "Wip" him Sith!!! He was only asking a question.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Great. Nice it's WIP.

I also think the shadows on the cockpit glass are way too dark.

Moreover, I think they are unrealistic (and maybe a bit distracting while flying). I've never seen such dark shadow areas on my car while driving. Never cared to look for them, but if they are there, they are very subtle; and knowing a little bit about how light works, I don't think that's correctly modeled (at least in the 1.5/2.0 videos I've seen lately).

For a perfectly transparent surface, no projected shadows from other surfaces should be visible. Now...considering the glass in the cockpit might not be 100% transparent, it would be ok to have a subtle shadow effect, barely noticeable (if any).

My point is, that having no shadows at all in the glass areas would be just fine (better than the dark version seen in the 1.5 videos).

If the light interaction with the glass is to be correctly modeled (which I don't think is needed), then the only visible effect you should see is that the scratches and imperfections in the canopy wouldn't reflect off any light on the "shadowed" areas, so you won't have those nice highlight refections wherever other surfaces project their shadow on, as they are blocking light coming from the light source, thus, preventing it from being reflected. But you should still be able to see through the glass (which ideally is 100% transparent, so no light coming from whatever is behind it should get absorved).

Or so I think :P

How can they be too dark? It depends on the amount of light making the shadows and so many other things. I've had it exactly the way wags showed in many planes I've flown. There's so many factors, but one thing is for sure, they aren't too dark. Too light would be a bigger problem IMO.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals