Engine Longevity Problem

Whuping

Just had a sortie... took off vertically with 50% fuel, 4 D Mavs, no gun, Water TO and CMBT, trottled back after TO and never put her above 90% RPM until landing. Delivered the Mavs, came back with approx. 1800lbs of fuel and wasn't able to keep altitude in hover. JPT was 814 (above any real limits), RPM 1080 and water 020 not flowing anymore + warning (was 320-330ish after TO) before I quit. I could take off with less so I definately had power loss. Never had any problems like this before and I keep my engine safe as good as I can (hurt by the Il-2 series, learnt the hard way). Too bad I forgot to save a track...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On these failed takeoffs/landings, are you facing into the wind or with it? Manual mentions reingesting hot exhaust gases can cause power loss/reduction. Just an idea I had.

I've experienced some intermittent issues, though much less of late, as I've become more aware of limitations and quirks. This is just something I happened to think of, I don't know if it's actually modeled.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The test mission I use has no wind. But yesterday I noticed that the continuous JPT limit ist 645 and I thought it was 650. Most probably I flew more than 15 minutes with a JPT just in between which already activates the death clock which just seems to add up regardless the break in between. Even if it's as intended, it's definately not realistic. 640 max is just fine even for hours. Multiple take offs with water and CMBT adding up can seize the engine already after some time.

The worst part about it: We can't repair as long as there's no actual combat damage. IIRC (didn't actually try this for ages, but I remember it) other planes get a repair when requested for just the canopy blown off, the Harrier doesn't.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 month later...

+1 Razbam please address this, even if not allow for simulated Overhaul on repair to reset the clock. Tested last night Takeoff / Cruise no vertical landing, no combat. Never exceeded 645 JPT. Second sortie Engine Failure, Failure to relight 15 min into second flight never exceeding limitations, never in combat, Empty aircraft.

Apparenty Bug please address for those of us that do not enjoy restarting from a cold aircraft every 60 min.

• 2 months later...

Yep problem I have is that I get jpt limited to 710 at some point when using maximum thrust profile, that's fine should do that, but then when I go to land, say I'm stuck at 102 rpm or little less because of jpt, I flip the water switch and it's like 50 50 chance that the water engages or not. Last night was getting JPT limited so I couldn't do more than 98 rpm, didn't think I blew the limits, so when I came in for slow landing, flipped my water on and nothing happened, water would not engage, even placed water in h2o mode and then tried land mode, no response. Is there a point where the harrier refuses to allow you to use water?

i7 7800x @ 4.2Ghz I MSI M7ACK X299 I 32GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 I ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM 16000M STICK / HOTAS / TM Pedals I Oculus Rift VR CV1

VF-111 Sun Downers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

Yep problem I have is that I get jpt limited to 710 at some point when using maximum thrust profile, that's fine should do that, but then when I go to land, say I'm stuck at 102 rpm or little less because of jpt, I flip the water switch and it's like 50 50 chance that the water engages or not. Last night was getting JPT limited so I couldn't do more than 98 rpm, didn't think I blew the limits, so when I came in for slow landing, flipped my water on and nothing happened, water would not engage, even placed water in h2o mode and then tried land mode, no response. Is there a point where the harrier refuses to allow you to use water?

Did you run out of water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep problem I have is that I get jpt limited to 710 at some point when using maximum thrust profile, that's fine should do that, but then when I go to land, say I'm stuck at 102 rpm or little less because of jpt

But how long are you flying in max thrust mode? Because max thrust can only be sustained for 15minutes.

Attached picture taken from the pocket guide supplied with the module.

001-EngineLimits.jpg.0b1b1ebc98c18f7d515bd9c34f4b7934.jpg

As I said, don't think I maxed out the limits, certainly didn't go 109 anywhere near 15 minutes, and 111 anywhere near 10 min. And yes, if I run out of water I would be getting warnings and such that I am out, it stayed at 500.

i7 7800x @ 4.2Ghz I MSI M7ACK X299 I 32GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 I ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM 16000M STICK / HOTAS / TM Pedals I Oculus Rift VR CV1

VF-111 Sun Downers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ahh, but there is a difference between combat at 111 and normal lift at 111, that might've been the problem why my engine was degrading, I didn't use combat when using 111, I was in a slow turn. However, would this disable the water from engaging still?

VF-111 Sun Downers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ahh, but there is a difference between combat at 111 and normal lift at 111, that might've been the problem why my engine was degrading, I didn't use combat when using 111, I was in a slow turn. However, would this disable the water from engaging still?

You can’t go by rpm, you have to go by EGT as far as when it’s over the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maximum thrust profile forces JPT to stay at 710 if you are using decs. If I read that manual correctly says that water won't start unless I can reach 105 rpm or more, so if JPT limited to less than 105 % no water then. Interesting....

VF-111 Sun Downers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tests I ran today,

1. Low altitude, around 700 to 710 JPT 109% RPM, 15 minutes, received left of UFC 15s warning for JPT over limit warning, DECS adjusting for JPT to 710, RPM was brought down to 97% rpm.

2. Repeated 1 same result

3. High altitude, where JPT stayed at 640 at 109% RPM, same result, 15 minutes on the dot, JPT increased all the sudden, 15s warning on left UFC warning light, then JPT reduced to 710, RPM at 97%.

VF-111 Sun Downers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

109% RPM has a 15 minute time limit, you are exceeding the engine RPM limit.

ho3xpQA.png

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 7 months later...
So did this get concluded as a non-bug work in progress model then?

IIRC the damage model was made more permissive (or power loss reduced) shortly after this thread was created (February).

The damage model (loss of power/o/heating) can still be punishing if you abuse the engine, don't note your VL weight limit (20,500 lb) or don't back off the throttle if the power margin hexagon is showing.

Damage is not usually an issue for VL's at normal temp's at SL but is more challenging in Nevada (due to altitude and temp), however TBH, I mostly use 60° FNSL (fixed nozzle slow landing) in Nevada.

Even with reduced power (due to damage), it's possible to land safely by diverting to an airfield and using FNSL.

IRL it'd probably reduce engine life to a point were it would require changing but as every DCS flight is in a new airframe - Razbam have a difficult job to balance between reality and gameplay i.e. making engine damage meaningful within DCS.

IMHO Razbam did well.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080