Strings for cockpit controls?

ArturDCS

I think what you are looking for might be this: 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua'.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The file I first noted has the device-buttons (what I call them anyway). They are the entities the game defines of things in the cockpit (but also in the DCS World, like zoom, and views) that you can manipulate, either through your controllers or cockpit-clicks.

The file I mentioned is for the clickable cockpit. There is a different 'default.lua' used for assigning 'key-binds' (in settings -> controls -> Spitfire Sim ->) from buttons and switches etc. on your controllers to operate these device-buttons in 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX\joystick\default.lua'.

Now, here's the sucky part; with the P-51D, Bf-109-K, and FW-190-D, the 'name' parameter of each device-button used to be that which is displayed in the tool-tips in the cockpit, or in settings-controls. With the Spitfire the displayed strings are found in 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\l10n\en\LC_MESSAGES\messages.mo', and the file is format-coded, which means some algorithm sorts out which display-text is associated with which 'name' parameter in the above files. :doh: So, if you have the display text and want to discover which device-button it is referring to, it is no longer possible to simply search through the above files for the text to find it :cry:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Yeah it's not optimal because the hints in the cockpit are usually how users find the control in DCS-BIOS/DCSFlightpanels.

Hopefully some dev will get back and provide a list of the English strings.

The file I first noted has the device-buttons (what I call them anyway). They are the entities the game defines of things in the cockpit (but also in the DCS World, like zoom, and views) that you can manipulate, either through your controllers or cockpit-clicks.

The file I mentioned is for the clickable cockpit. There is a different 'default.lua' used for assigning 'key-binds' (in settings -> controls -> Spitfire Sim ->) from buttons and switches etc. on your controllers to operate these device-buttons in 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Input\SpitfireLFMkIX\joystick\default.lua'.

Now, here's the sucky part; with the P-51D, Bf-109-K, and FW-190-D, the 'name' parameter of each device-button used to be that which is displayed in the tool-tips in the cockpit, or in settings-controls. With the Spitfire the displayed strings are found in 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\l10n\en\LC_MESSAGES\messages.mo', and the file is format-coded, which means some algorithm sorts out which display-text is associated with which 'name' parameter in the above files. :doh: So, if you have the display text and want to discover which device-button it is referring to, it is no longer possible to simply search through the above files for the text to find it :cry:

That file "messages.mo" does not show anything useful when I open it in Notepad++. Does it contain a kind of decryption or mapping key? It seems to me that ED is moving to make user modifications more difficult.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

*achhhhh* I am an idiot :cry:

I was mixing up aircraft and... anyway

The name strings from 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Scripts \clickabledata.lua' can be found in 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\l10n\en\LC_MESSAGES\simulator.mo', but also in 'c:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\l10n\en\LC_MESSAGES\input.mo'. At least some, or most, or all. I don't know. I didn't cross-check them all.

Why? I have real idea. Maybe it has to do with a different tweaking for overall performance, but who really knows.

As with the .mo file in the Spitfire path, these .mo files are formatted file with a lot of binary data. By binary I mean, there are lot and lots of characters below 0x20, starting with and above which are the printable ascii characters start.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I found this about .mo files under file.org:

"MO is an acronym for Machine Object. Files that contain the .mo file extension most commonly hold binary data files. These files store object data that is referenced by an associated software application. The MO file format is commonly used to translate application code."

Theoretically it should be possible to view these files with Poedit (free version available) but when I tried it would not allow me to select .mo files. No time now, will try again later.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

You can use notepad++ so some extent. You'd need to make a copy of the mo file to edit first. Then you can replace all [NUL] characters with a new line, so that you can then properly copy out the texts you need.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

You can use notepad++ so some extent. You'd need to make a copy of the mo file to edit first. Then you can replace all [NUL] characters with a new line, so that you can then properly copy out the texts you need.

Sounds very mühsam!

Poedit actually is used to edit text translation files in human-readable .PO format and then outputs machine-readible .MO format. So that's why I couldn't open the .mo files with Poedit. Now downloading File Viewer Plus...

LeCuvier

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.oxygen_valve" "Oxygen Valve"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.safety" "Safety"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.trigger_0" "MG Trigger"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.trigger_1" "Cannons Trigger"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.trigger_2" "MG+Cannons Trigger"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.wheel_brakes" "Wheel Brakes"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.altimeter" "Altimeter Pressure Set"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.di" "Directional Gyro Adjust"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.fuel_gauge" "Show Fuel Contents"

"Cockpit.SpitfireLFMkIX.nav_lights" "Nav. Lights On/Off"