Polychop Simulations OH-58D Kiowa

Yes, it will come in the future.

But do not ask is it 2 months or 5 years, all we know it is just in 2 weeks.

When the f18 and f16 are over, 2 years and 2 weeks the announcement of the AH 64 apache for DCS, woooo :beer:

I will definitely be purchasing if the Kiowa and Gazelle updates live up to these promises. Agile, light helicopters for these awesome new maps to me is just a no-brainer...

I was one of the biggest critics back when the first gaz FM debates were raging. What happened to the guys who refused to admit something is way off about the cyclic, fly-by-wire dynamics, etc....? Maybe next time we can drop the knee jerk dev defending and thereby encourage a more timely development schedule? Just a thought, guys.

I have actually had lots of fun with the module recently in the Minigun version (best cockpit visibility in DCS) and the L version for combat. I love sneaking around buildings and making hit and run dive attacks. Some of the most fun I've had in a sim, honestly. The "fraternity sim" server is great for this, btw.

In case DCS is reading this, if the Kiowa comes out at a high level of all-around quality, I also plan to buy probably $200 worth of other maps and aircraft with it. This might be something to consider...Some helo guys might be holding back on other purchases while waiting for our modules and updates. Just sayin.

Also just wanted to point out that, according to helisimmer.com, MSFS 2020 is not going to ship with any helos. So Polychop could not only be the only name in the game as far as quality helicopter simulation (in terms of environment graphics, multiplayer, etc.) you could potentially be looking at a huge influx of new sim customers in the near future. They will have no where else to go for light helicopters. Sounds like a good opportunity to me.

I'm still here. I was the most vocal defender of the Gazelle so I'm going to assume you meant me. But I got over arguing. And I didn't refuse to admit there was a problem at all. I did a lengthy write up once on the good and bad of the flight model. But overall I thought it felt pretty damn good to me as long as you were flying it within the normal flight envelope with the disclaimer I'm using an actual cyclic and collective and not a hotas which I think makes a huge difference.

I also stopped defending it as the other bugs started piling up though. I wasn't upset about them but I understood why people were. I wasn't concerned though because the Gazelle is an old module and the first module from a small studio. They did their best with coding the FM but as time went on I'm guessing the limitations in the core code were discovered that would require they pretty much rebuild the Gazelle from scratch. So they make the 58 with the idea of back porting the new technology to the gaz and tuning the new model from there. Is it ideal? No. In a perfect world it would go straight to the gaz. But that's probably not practical considering what a small team it is and that they have pay people. Look at the rushed state of the F-16 and how much more resources its dev has...

Anyway this is only my perspective from the outside looking in and hopefully I'm not stepping on the devs toes woth my assumptions. But I'm happy the gaz has a coder working on the bugs and that it's going to get new fm technology. I'm excited for the 58 and its a day 1 buy for me but I understand the people who have a "put your money where you mouth is and we'll see" attitude.

We should give credit to Polychop for their new communication strategy with the users. They also publicly admitted that the gazelle FM did not meet everyone's expectations and that they are working on improving it. So let's not beat a dead horse now.

Let's also keep in mind that developing a chopper is an order of magnitude more complex than developing a fixed wing. Few 3rd parties would face the risk of going after a niche market like RW sim considering the complexity of developing such a machine. The continuous Polychop bashing certainly deterred other 3rd parties to go into RW and as such it contributed to weaken the already fragile DCS RW community.

By going forward with the OH-58D, Polychop is taking on a huge challenge:

- the systems on the 58 will most likely make this chopper the most complex one system wise available in DCS.

- unlike for the gazelle, there are a lot of people around that have IRL experience either on the 58 or the 206 and that also fly DCS.

- they are aware of the multiple frustrations from Gazelle customers and they have no choice but to impress the community for this new module.

Like most people here, I will not think a second to buy or even pre order this module (most likely several licences if multi crew is implemented) and I know for sure it will be a big hit in the DCS RW community as it combines several advantages from other modules:

- like the Ka-50 it will hopefully have complex systems to learn and a long range anti tank guided missile capability

- like the Gazelle, it will have thermal vision for night ops

- like the Huey, it's a familiar and iconic chopper in the western hemisphere

- if ED manage to correctly implement multicrew, this chopper is begging for this capability and we will have as many people willing to fly as people willing to operate the left seat.

At BSD, we are expecting a massive surge of activity when this module is coming out and it is very welcome. We are already starting to study the official training program for this chopper and see what we will need to change and adapt in our current training one to integrate the 58 in our operations.

I'm not going to forget their past immediately after a new decision through their PR on working on the Gazelle and announcing the Kiowa. Polychop does have some criticism respectively due to them, and I quite frankly doubt that the community will forget about it until big changes appear. The work will speak louder than their words.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing this module like anyone else. I hope it turns out well.

While I am interested in this potential module I will not commit to it until such time as the wishy washy flight model of the Gazelle is redressed. If Polychop were to resolve this issue then I am sure they will get many more people willing to commit to the OH-58D.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Exclusive by Helisimmer, talking about the OH-58D and a video. Other news, the improves on Gazelle.

Remember:

Before we start, a warning: there are NO GUARANTEES that the Kiowa will see the light of day as Polychop and Eagle Dynamics are still negotiating contracts.

https://www.helisimmer.com/articles/polychop-announced-kiowa-dcs-what-about-the-gazelle?fbclid=IwAR0nvYcbBxSRXVZkitndbgP9pBmMc417KWIhkrYOMnztUVThp1NdOHwKH9k

This release needs to be top notch mind!

The modelling must be perfect!

You are moving into the realm of top notch rotary weapons.

It is the OH-58D and it demands all the love and care to reach our required level of desire and need!

This is emotional now!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

First of all, a good Kiowa Warrior sim would be yet another must-have for me. :)

But is there any info on how this would integrate with other DCS modules? Could the OH-58D provide laser guidance for LGBs and AGM-65E? Is there a laser/IR pointer compatible with NVGs like with the Litening TGP? Does the Kiowa have a datalink that's compatible with our Hog, Hornet and Viper modules? Can target coords be read in different coordinate systems (MGRS, Lat/Long, Lat/Long decimal)?

This chopper could easily become a force multiplier for ground warfare in DCS if it integrates well within the battlefield.

Of course, cruising low level with no cockpit doors is going to be insanely fun as well. :D

The first video from helisimmer looked amazing!

First of all, a good Kiowa Warrior sim would be yet another must-have for me. :)

But is there any info on how this would integrate with other DCS modules? Could the OH-58D provide laser guidance for LGBs and AGM-65E? Is there a laser/IR pointer compatible with NVGs like with the Litening TGP? Does the Kiowa have a datalink that's compatible with our Hog, Hornet and Viper modules? Can target coords be read in different coordinate systems (MGRS, Lat/Long, Lat/Long decimal)?

This chopper could easily become a force multiplier for ground warfare in DCS if it integrates well within the battlefield.

Of course, cruising low level with no cockpit doors is going to be insanely fun as well. :D

The first video from helisimmer looked amazing!

The Kiowa Warrior does have a laser designator that can designate for other LSS/T and laser guided weapons (LGBs and Mav E's) IIRC.

Absolutely excited for this module. When I was deployed overseas I would get two of these to support us while on mission. Such an important bird for those of us on the ground, and what a mistake when the Army retired this bird. Those pilots were such an important piece to keeping us safe while we patrolled our AOR, and when things got bad they were down in the dirt with us. Hope the wait isn’t that long.

We should give credit to Polychop for their new communication strategy with the users. They also publicly admitted that the gazelle FM did not meet everyone's expectations and that they are working on improving it. So let's not beat a dead horse now.

Oh no.... We really need to raise thumb for them doing this. Admitting directly the consideration and future plans.

There is no dead horse, there is a new horse coming and what we would like to see is to get things fixed that are broken, as long something gets sold.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Any possibility of getting APKWS as a loadout option? Looks like the OH-58 has been tested with them.

Ugroza and APKWS should come to DCS for all modules that has rocket pods available. As neither one requires any modifications or additions to computers or physically to launchers. You literally only make the rocket little longer and that's it.

Then all you need to do is to worry how are you going to get a laser designator paint the target. It be you, your buddy or something else in that moment when you launch the rocket generally at the target. So nothing new from buddy lazing or current lazing.

Even a Su-25A can use Ugroza S-5, S-8 and S-13 laser guided rockets as it has laser designator for other missiles.

Question is just that what service year the rockets does get and that gets either allowed or not allowed based the mission designer year and will.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Our active OH58D team is a total of 2, excluding the testers.

APKWS lasercodes are set manually by groundcrew in RL. So if you have a laser designator operating on that laser frequence it will find the target.

The laser of the kiowa warrior and even of the drones or any other laser targeting system are in general not operating in a visual wavelenght. The visual lasers are not used on the mms. The kiowa warrior has one visual laser located at the gun that is not movable.

I am very interested in this module. Loving the modern avionics in the video from Helisimmer. What is contained in the mast on top of the rotor?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

That is the MMS ( Mast Mounted Sight) which contains a thermal imaging system and laser designator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

That is the MMS ( Mast Mounted Sight) which contains a thermal imaging system and laser designator.

That is nice. It would great to have the developer list of features that they would be implementing for this module?

The MMS would be a useful feature to have.

Thanks Eagle_rising.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

If polychop is going to do it right (which I think they will) all the features can be found in the -10 http:// https://www.docdroid.net/ubI02yP/army-bell-oh-58d-operators-manual.pdf#page=2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.