T-50CM2 limitations on TMW base?

GregP

I’m considering buying the CM2 grip but I have not been able to determine exactly which buttons and axes will not work on the TMW base, which is what I intend to pair it with. Can anyone who’s tried this confirm for me exactly what works and what doesn’t?

TMW base recognize from grip:

19 buttons

1 POV HAT (8 way)

T50CM2

28 buttons

1 POV HAT (8 way)

1 Analog brake lever

Then you can't use the analog axes (of brake lever) and 9 buttons.

For example, create a profile don't using any press button in HAT's, use the middle HAT as 2 way (up-down) the right side 2 way slider as 1 button, 1 button in flip trigger...

Can use the brake lever for press an button.

Save for an VirPil base. :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

So from what Sokol says, it seems that you can choose which buttons to use and which to leave off, up to the total supported by the base. The only thing that definitely won't work is the analogue brake lever.

Edit: I haven't tried it. And the Virpil bases are amazing. I have tried those. :)

Thanks for the replies. But is that correct, that you can somehow choose which buttons to have work? I would rather think that they would work in sequential order, like buttons 1 through 19 would register but after that they would not.

Anyway, i’m surprised that only 19 would work, because the Warthog technically has 21 buttons in addition to the 2-stage trigger:

3x 4-way hats

1x 4-way hat plus one center press button

S1, S2, S3 and S4

I bought a T-50 base about a year ago but ended up selling it as I didn’t like the ‘notchiness’ of the stock’s travel, i.e. the feeling that the stick preferred to be moved only along the X and Y axes as opposed to feeling equal force everywhere. My simply-modded Warthog base (removed the big spring and moved the 4 small springs to near the top of the base) now provides near-perfectly equal stick forces in every direction. Thus I’m hesitant to consider any other stock base as they all seem to have the notchiness I dislike.

I don't know whether you'd be using Thrustmaster software or the VPC software, but generally stick software allows you to choose which button is which number. So while it might only allow buttons 1 to 19, you choose which buttons ARE 1 to 19. I know that the VPC and CH software works like this.

I also have the original T-50 and there's no notchiness at all. On mine at least, there's no noticeable change while switching between X and Y axes. Smooth all the way. :)

I upgraded from a CH stick where the two axes are totally different things, so I know what you're talking about!

T-50CM2 limitations on TMW base?

Actually I wasn’t planning to use any software at all, and instead just directly assign functions within DCS, which is how I’ve been doing it for several years now after tiring of creating Foxy etc profiles. I didn’t realize that TM or VPC software may allow selection of which buttons I wanted to enable.

If that’s the case, getting the CM2 grip may still be worthwhile for me, as I realized my math was originally wrong above in that I left out the 8-way hat. So it’s 8-way hat plus 19 buttons when using the WH base — same as using a WH grip, which obviously makes sense!

Part of the reason I’m considering the CM2 is that one of the red buttons on my WH has stopped working. Thus even without the 9 buttons I’d lose when not using a VPC base, I’d still gain one beyond what I have now (assuming the fault with my WH button resides in the grip rather than the base, of course!).

Edited by GregP

Anyway, i’m surprised that only 19 would work, because the Warthog technically has 21 buttons in addition to the 2-stage trigger:

3x 4-way hats

1x 4-way hat plus one center press button

S1, S2, S3 and S4

Physically Warthog grip has 23 buttons.

But for easy match T50CM2 grip buttons I list POV HAT separately in both, because POV HAT use a specific instruction in firmware (could be 4 or 8 way). So if you add 4 buttons in Warthog, need add 4 buttons in T50CM and the result is the same.

I didn’t realize that TM or VPC software may allow selection of which buttons I wanted to enable.

Before buy wait someone confirm this, in VPC software you can choose what DX buttons physical buttons will press, but and in Thrustmaster software?

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to go ahead and buy a T-50CM2 grip and a WarBRD base. I can now confirm that no, if you try use a T-50CM2 grip on a TM Warthog base, you cannot use the VPC software to configure exactly which 19 of the 28 buttons on the grip that you want to be recognized. You can do this when using a VPC base, but not with a TM base. The limiting factor is in the VPC software, where you create a profile with the buttons you want to be functional: the first step in the process is selecting which base you're using, and only VPC bases are listed. So with a TM base, you can't even create a profile.

It'll take me a while to adjust to the diffent feel of the WarBRD base compared to my TM WH base, but the 28 vs 19 buttons (in addition to the 8-way hat) are absolutely worth the upgrade, in my opinion.

The limiting factor is in the VPC software, where you create a profile with the buttons you want to be functional: the first step in the process is selecting which base you're using, and only VPC bases are listed. So with a TM base, you can't even create a profile.

It’s the TM base that is the limiting factor. It can’t be programmed like the VPC bases can.