CVW-11 DCS: F-14B Tomcat RIO School

IceFire

Thanks guys... glad you're liking it!

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Did not understand everything and I must probably still look at the one and the other. But great that there are people who make so much effort. Thank you.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

This video was stunning, really goes in depth into the radar and several other taskings for the Rio, I learnt quite a bit from it. Will certainly be watching again several times to fully understand the systems involved.

A must watch video for ALL potential Rios.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Great stuff, loved it. Got 2 full pages of notes to work through, thank you very much!

Also, sticky this please?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I'm surprised he mentions that he doesn't expect the ECM controls did anything in RL. Didn't all the F-14's have the AN/ALQ-100 jammer (FCS track breaking), complemented with AN/ALQ-167 later on (CW jammer)?

The latter is not in the F-14B we're getting, though, as it had distinctive (a nicer word for rather ugly) ECM antennas on intake sides. But, the AN/ALQ-100 antenna is there under the TCS pod.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm surprised he mentions that he doesn't expect the ECM controls did anything in RL. Didn't all the F-14's have the AN/ALQ-100 jammer (FCS track breaking), complemented with AN/ALQ-167 later on (CW jammer)?

The latter is not in the F-14B we're getting, though, as it had distinctive (a nicer word for rather ugly) ECM antennas on intake sides. But, the AN/ALQ-100 antenna is there under the TCS pod.

I don’t remember saying the ALQ-126 controls didn’t do anything. If I did, it was unintentional. The ALQ-126 was a pretty useful system. The ALQ-100, on the other hand, was useless. And that’s not just opinion, it was actually, officially, useless. We uninstalled it from our airplanes. We kept the R/T in the bay for weight and balance reasons, but the cables were tied back and the connectors capped. The control boxes were removed and kept in the shop. In fact, it’s funny that the DECM control box in the Heatblur Tomcat actually looks rougher than the other ones because in real life they were... from being neglected and in a pile in the shop for many years. Another great detail in their Tomcat.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

One of the best overview/preview/instructional vids I’ve seen for any module in DCS, definitely worthy of its sticky status. Required viewing for any prospective RIO’s.

Thank you!

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Good video, but 2+ hours is a little much. Is there an abbreviated startup

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Many sections required a couple of replays due to helmet fires, but this has been an excellent learning tool. Thank you for putting this together!

I find the detailed explanations of avionics and systems incredibly helpful for actually wrapping my head around the whole of what the Tomcat is doing rather than focusing on a few learned patterns.

I very much enjoyed trying to absorb your history with the F-14... from the radar physics to the cover on the VSL switch... thank you very much for making this. I know it took a lot of time, but a lot less time than it took to learn it all IRL.

• 1 month later...
OK... I'm an idiot!...

I don't see anywhere in the documentation where it says how to jump between seats... and the videos assume I'm sitting in pilot or RIO..help?tks

Keyboard 2 (number 2), "1" go back to Pilot seat :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Hello! Tell me, what commands in the RIO cabin settings are responsible for moving the radar in the horizon?

Система 10 про. Железяки: Мать Z690M, ccd m2 500gb,  i5 12600, 3090 24gb., DDR4 64gb (2667), монитор LG C1 4K 120Hz 55, Opentrack.