ECM upgrades

Zeus67

Hello folks, in the next release the ECM panel will have new functions enabled: The decoy dispensers (chaff and flares) will work based on switch position.

ECM%20Panel_zpswlfnprvf.png

Switch 5 controls the behavior of the decoy buttons in the throttle and stick. It is called Decoy Release Mode (DRM) Switch.

Knob 6 controls which decoy release program will be used. It is called Decoy Release Program (DRP) Knob.

There are two buttons that control the release of decoys:

Throttle%20EMERG%20Button_zpsz7flf4vu.png

The EMERG button in the throttle.

Stick%20DECOY%20Button_zps319wzy7b.png

The DECOY button in the control stick.

Both buttons are configured under HOTAS as follows:

FLARE release is now DECOY Release.

CHAFF release is now PANIC Release.

The decoy release system works as follows:

CMD%20Flowchart_zpsj2cz1wby.png

Note: Automatic Release is not functional at this time. It will behave as Semi Automatic Release.

The default decoy release program is the following:

Decoy%20release%20program_zpsrh75yfmw.png

It is our intention that the release programs are user modified. But that feature is not available at this time.

PANIC program as it name implies is to be used when you are unexpectedly attacked. It releases a fixed mix of chaff and flares to deal with either IR or Radar threats. The mix in PANIC program cannot be modified by the user. It is designed for air-to-air threats.

BVR 1 to BVR 3 programs are to be used when engaging in BVR combat. Since the threat will come from radar guided missiles, only chaff will be released. Depending on the expected threat, from SARH to ARH you can select between 1 to three cycles of chaff launch. There is a 2 second interval between each release cycle in BVR 2 and BVR 3, to allow time for you to clear the threat zone.

SAM 1 is to be used against old technology SAMs like the SA-2 or SA-6.

SAM 2 is to be used against new technology SAMs like the SA-10 and higher.

IR SAM is to be used when the threats come from any type of IR guided missile. But it is specially tailored to deal with MANPADs and mobile SAM sites.

AG Mix is designed to be used during the insertion phase in a bombing run when the target is heavily defended.

Flare Jettison: releases all the flares in a short timed burst.

All the programs here detailed can be used with the internal chaff and flare loads. Using the éclair pod will increase the number of times you can use a given program.

NB: This is how the real aircraft releases its decoys. All the programs, including PANIC are not based on any real life decoy release program. We created them by trying to maximize the use of the available chaff and flare stores.

Last system update can be seen here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2919817&postcount=80

Edited by Zeus67
Adding the last update post.
  • Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G

R

E

A

T

!

... as always. Thanks Zeus. :thumbup:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Superior :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Nice news!!!

"You want me to fly in the back of a tiny little jet with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he´s invincible,

home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam and shoot it before it shoots me?

You´ve gotta be shittin´me!"

Captain Jack Donovan

I hope, that we get hotkeys in the options with this update. Otherwise, it would be very tricky to switch the CM programs in flight/ combat. :)

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hope, that we get hotkeys in the options with this update. Otherwise, it would be very tricky to switch the CM programs in flight/ combat. :)

I was thinking the exact same thing - Zeus, can you confirm? Could we perhaps get DRP Up/DRP Down binds?

Thanks for all your hard work guys!

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Great stuff!

I would prefer the name Decoy Emergency Release or just Decoy EMER Release instead of Panic Release though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Although it might be usefull to have a key to change the programs, I like the fact we have more cockpit workload.

Several months ago Zeus made a bold statement

While the main topic of this initial post seems to be about the radar, actually it isn't. It is about workload management.

From the next update onward your cockpit workload will increase. So be prepared for it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2702325&postcount=1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BVR 1 to BVR 3 programs are to be used when engaging in BVR combat. Since the threat will come from radar guided missiles, only chaff will be released. Depending on the expected threat, from SARH to ARH you can select between 1 to three cycles of chaff launch. There is a 2 second interval between each release cycle in BVR 2 and BVR 3, to allow time for you to clear the threat zone.

There should be some flares mixed in there; consider the threat environment in this simulation - an R-27T/ET can come out of nowhere, and you can close BVR to merge quite quickly as well. Flares are often priority.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Working on that.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Great stuff!

I would prefer the name Decoy Emergency Release or just Decoy EMER Release instead of Panic Release though.

It does sound better but on the other hand the name PANIC gives a better feel about how dangerous the situation is.

AG Mix has a very "high" interval rate? 0,025 ?

Programs using Chaff & Flare do they drop in sequence or pairs?

They are fired in sequence. Flares are fired first, followed by chaff.

The interval rate is quite high, but I am not an expert on this. I do know that the interval should be calculated to give time to:

a. Create a large target area

b. Prevent the decoys to bunch up

c. Prevent the decoys from dispersing too much.

If anybody has any suggestion regarding mix and interval. We are willing to listen. As I said in my OP, these are not based on any real load.

Working on that.

Super!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I absolutely disagree; getting shot down with CMs onboard is silly. CM programs are turned to the threat - the only program up here that is not are the BVR programs:

'AG Mix' because you're expecting all manners of SHORAD

'IR SAM' because you know there is no radar threat

But all BVR (and SAM) programs assume no IR threat whatsoever - they're tuned to the 'type of fight', rather than the threat itself. This simply fails to reflect reality because it is making a wrong assumption.

At the very least, I would suggest adding a 'dogfight' program to compensate, or 'BVR close' which accounts for entering long-ranged IR threat (and then dogfight as you push to the merge)

Even sidewinders can be launched from ranges at which you won't see them coming - and possibly won't have spotted the launch aircraft either.

Not on the M2000. Consider low number of available flares.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Sorry, I can't create a table right now but my suggestion for A2A is that:

Add a single flare(or two, up to you) to the BVR programs.

Add the 'BVR close' program which accounts for T/ET if you don't add the flares above - should be like BVR 1 with 10 chaff, 3 flares. Otherwise, ignore this one.

Add the 'Dogfight' program which might be like the 'AG Mix' ... but bear with me as to why I'd like to see it duplicated.

Order the programs like this:

BVR 1

BVR 2

BVR 3

BVR Close

Dogfight

SAM 1

SAM 2

AG Mix

IR Sam

Put the "Flare' and "Chaff' programs either at the beginning, or just before the jettison program at the end.

The purpose of this is to get a very nice progression of program bumping using your 'CM program change' switch as you are fighting.

They are fired in sequence. Flares are fired first, followed by chaff.

The interval rate is quite high, but I am not an expert on this. I do know that the interval should be calculated to give time to:

a. Create a large target area

b. Prevent the decoys to bunch up

c. Prevent the decoys from dispersing too much.

If anybody has any suggestion regarding mix and interval. We are willing to listen. As I said in my OP, these are not based on any real load.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]