Sound modding in DCS

WNC

I was under the impression by reading up before purchasing DCS, it was a mod friendly flight simulation.

In IL-2 1946 modding sound was pretty straight forward, there were "*.WAV" files in a "SAMPLE" folder and there were "*.PRS" files in a "PRESETS" folder that would tell the "*.WAV" files what to do.

In DCS there are "*.WAV" files but have no clue what tells them what to do?

:helpsmilie:

I was under the impression by reading up before purchasing DCS, it was a mod friendly flight simulation.

In IL-2 1946 modding sound was pretty straight forward, there were "*.WAV" files in a "SAMPLE" folder and there were "*.PRS" files in a "PRESETS" folder that would tell the "*.WAV" files what to do.

In DCS there are "*.WAV" files but have no clue what tells them what to do?

:helpsmilie:

Hi Welcome to DCS,what type of sounds are you trying to change?

As in for Aircraft Sounds they are done by replacing the sounds in EFFECTS FOLDER and what tells the sounds what to do is found under SDEF FOLDER,located in your MOD File of your Aircraft,If your Mod does not have the above Folders Add them you also Need to call the sounds in your Entry Lua.

Code

mount_vfs_sound_path (current_mod_path.."/Sounds/Your Plane name/")

Edited by cubanace

Hi Welcome to DCS,what type of sounds are you trying to change?

As in for Aircraft Sounds they are done by replacing the sounds in EFFECTS FOLDER and what tells the sounds what to do is found under SDEF FOLDER,located in your MOD File of your Aircraft,If your Mod does not have the above Folders Add them you also Need to call the sounds in your Entry Lua.

Code

mount_vfs_sound_path (current_mod_path.."/Sounds/Your Plane name/")

Thanks,

Am wanting to change the P-51D inside cockpit sounds, engine, flaps, gear etc.

I have broken down kermits P-51C

sound into wav files and did a good job using them in IL2-1946 and Prepar3D, would like to do the same in DCS. The default sound is not good at all. If I just replace existing wav files with mine, is still not good so am thinking it must be the sdef files porking the wav files. atleast that is what I am hoping is the problem.

I tried Diveplane's mod https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144277 it was a big improvement, but using it I lost my flaps and gear sound.

Since I posted, I found the sdef files. Where I am now is trying to figure out how to open them. I did a search and looks like it is some kind of weird apple software that is payware?

I was able to find a software called "file viewer plus" to open Lua files, and am able to edit numbers in existing Lua files but to write Lua language I am not there yet, so when you say

call the sounds in your Entry Lua
could you elaborate?
Edited by WNC

They're text files, open them with any text editor (though Notepad++ is traditionally best for that kind of job). No idea what the included parameters do, however, as I never tinkered with them.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

They're text files, open them with any text editor (though Notepad++ is traditionally best for that kind of job). No idea what the included parameters do, however, as I never tinkered with them.

:poster_oops: my note pad has always been default to pull up text, when I installed the "view file plus" for Lua it must have taken over as default so sdef files would not open. I never heard of sdef file so I figured it was some kinda weirdo special type file. ok ...fantastic!

Your SDEF is basically doing the same job as the old PRS files from il2 , DCS uses a cone system for the sound its values are tuned via the SDEF , Doppler wise its a good system but its limited by the amount of SDEF files per aircraft that you can add-IE-NONE.

For most prop aircraft the allocation is not too bad but for the jets it verges on useless for us sound modders.

Cheers

Jafa

PS , you dont need anything fancy to edit the SDEF files , notepad will do just fine.

Edited by jafa

[sIGPIC]picture.php?albumid=1526&pictureid=9861[/sIGPIC]

• 9 months later...

Has there been any updates as to how we could call our own sounds into an aircraft? I assume the new sound engine made it pretty much impossible to do, since most of the code that handles how/when a sound plays is hidden somewhere. Being able to make changes to how the game does handle these sounds would give me, and other sound modders, a huge leg up in sound design.

There is a /ed_sound.dll file in the bin folder - but cannot be read by any of my decompilers since it is in 64bit format. I was hoping ED could provide some information behind this, but their tech support is less than easy to talk to unfortunately.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

All things sound @ Echo 19 Audio

linktr.ee/echo19audio

• 2 weeks later...
Depends on which sound you're trying to gain up, as many sounds have other variables you have to consider into volume level.

Thanks, here they are...these 5 sdef only needed gain increase to hear the sound louder, in all other versions of DCS.

1. flaps
  2. landing gear
  3. air brake
  4. flares
  5. chaff

Which one of these settings below will increase the volume in cockpit?

wave = "Effects/Aircrafts/FA-18/Afterburner"

distance_filter_offset = 200

inner_radius = 250

outer_radius = 1200

cone_inner_angle = 10

cone_outer_angle = 45

cone_outer_gain = 0

direction = {-1, 0, 0}

release = 0.2

gain = 1

Edited by fitness88