underwater environment

Pandacat

Just wonder if there is any thought or it has been suggested before. Would it be possible for DCS world to expand into underwater realm. I am not talking about a full blown sub simulator. Simply underwater environment (we don't even need fishes or whales) and subs that can go underwater. Currently, the DCS world is all about dogfights and bombings. Having underwater realm would introduce another element of war, ASW. Current platforms such as Perry frigate, S-3 vikings and helos could find the real job they were designed for. With that, I am pretty sure people can push out new flyables such as P-3, ASW helos. It'll be a lot of fun. I think DCS has matured enough to perhaps just starting to think about that.

I think DCS has matured enough to perhaps just starting to think about that.

That I'm not sure about. There are some pretty important aspects of the current simulation that aren't really mature. Some are being worked on, but I think others don't have any planned updates yet. Currently, ATC, AWACS, missile guidance, damage model, and AI behavior at the least need an overhaul. There are definitely other things that would be competing for developer time.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

+1

I know that at least the Caucasus map has transparent water and a seabed, not too sure how accurate the depth map is but it's a step in the right direction.

Given that the OHP, Arleigh Burke, Ticonderoga and near enough every Russian and Chinese naval asset has ASW weapons of some sort, as well as the Tu-142 and Ka-27, it would make sense to have a proper underwater environment simulated some day, especially seeing as the Kilo class submarine currently in DCS looks fantastic, is fully animated (masts, planes, rudders, propellers, tube doors, even the hatch that's used for reloading by way of an adaptor is animated), there's even an submarine launched AShM to go with it (3M-54E1), however nothing is really implemented in DCS World, you can spawn the submarine but aside from following waypoints like any other ship it can't do anything.

Now ED have plans to implement the Mk-40 Destructor and Mk63 Quickstrike mines with the F/A-18C (Both are essentially conversions of Mk80 series bombs to be used as bottom influence mines in shallow waters. (Source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3285514&postcount=13)

Add to that ED have a torpedo boat (German Schnellboot) as well as a Type VII u-boat in development as part of the WWII asset packs, it would seem silly to add a torpedo boat that couldn't be used as such, as launching torpedoes is kinda the point of it, same goes for the Type VII which is y'know a submarine.

Plus nearly every surface combatant in DCS has some sort of ASW capability. The American Arleigh Burke Flt IIA class destroyer, Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate and Ticonderoga class cruiser all are equipped with the Mk32 deck mounted torpedo launcher, which can fire Mk44, 46, 50 and 54 torpedoes (depending on modification). Every Chinese naval asset has access to ASW rocket launchers and ASW torpedo launchers and practically every Russian asset has access to these as well (apart from the Tarantul-3 class corvette).

Going on the Tu-142 and every other IRL MPA that I can think of has access to ASW weapons and sensors, torpedoes, depth charges, sonobuoys etc, plus an overwhelming number of maritime helicopters is designed for ASW or at least has access to ASW weapons/sensors. Both MPAs and these kind of helicopters are practically alienated without an underwater environment.

I can appreciate though that this shouldn't take precedence over more pressing features and issues but in my view should definitely be under consideration.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I don't think we even need model the whole seabed. Modern combat submarines (not those scientific submersibles that can dive down to 20k+ meters) can at best get down to 600-800 meters. For shallow waters, yes, put some barren sandy floor there. But for deep waters, just limit the view camera there. When ships sink below that threshold, just let it fade away.

I would love to have a full fidelity submarine module for DCS! Dangerous Waters is getting old...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There was a decent PT boat sim out there on Steam at one point. You could man the helm, fire torpedos, and control the deck gunners for inbound attack aircraft. It was challenging and fun to make a run on ships. This would be a great module to introduce into the WW2 scene. I know a ton of guys that would enjoy running a torpedo boat and fending off aircraft and subs while trying to make a run on ships.

This thread imo is not deserving of comment...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2