Important Keybinds for RIO

The AMRAAMer

Currently I have the HCU axis, half-action, and full-action bound to my Extreme 3D Pro

I've got 6 free buttons, whats useful to bind?

(Don't want to bind keys to adjust radar elevation, too sensitive with buttons. I'll stick with physically rotating the knob on the radar control panel)

I bind anything I use often to hotas

Elevation, azimuth, bars, IFF, all radar modes, even CAP buttons 6 and 8 for quick friend or foe assignments.

Don’t forget countermeasures release.

I find the laser fingers in VR just too clumsy while under battle stress and forget trying to find F and J on keyboard quickly while blind.

Currently I have the HCU axis, half-action, and full-action bound to my Extreme 3D Pro

I've got 6 free buttons, whats useful to bind?

(Don't want to bind keys to adjust radar elevation, too sensitive with buttons. I'll stick with physically rotating the knob on the radar control panel)

I would assign radar elevation to the throttle slider, maybe? I guess you use the Hat-switch for views, or do you have a head-tracker or VR?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

nope, i use the hat switch
Yeah, then it is a bit tricky to use the Hat switch with modifier keys. That would be an option to multiply the hat switch with up to 6 of the remaining keys, but very tricky when needing to move the view around and want to flick a switch in parallel. May still worth a thought. You can set any button on the Joystick as a modifier in DCS, so while press and hold the modifier button the other buttons can have different bindings as modifier+POV Hat up for example. In theory you could have 7 Hat switches (normal for point of view and 6 with the buttons on the base as modifiers). :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 month later...

Azimuth, Elevation, Scan width and Scan Bars are musts. Even if they're not on the HCU in real life, it's unrealistic and tedious to have to look at the knobs to manipulate them (taking eyes off the TID and DDD). I would map Azimuth and Elevation to the hat switch. I also recommend base buttons for PD-Search, RWS, TWS (Man and Auto) ,PD-STT, and IFF.

The other thing you really want for which I would set one of your free buttons as a switch in DCS (it's a modifier that's a toggle rather than held) is the LANTIRN control stick. See my guide for recommendations on LANTIRN mapping. Even though it's uses the TM sticks for its example, the basics are there for you.