HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Considering a lot of people are currently running VR headsets with a PD value comprised between 1.3 and 2.0 without major issues, I can't really see why we could not run the Reverb with a neutral 1.0 value and still benefit from its clarity.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Considering a lot of people are currently running VR headsets with a PD value comprised between 1.3 and 2.0 without major issues, I can't really see why we could not run the Reverb with a neutral 1.0 value and still benefit from its clarity.

Totally agree theoretically, let´s see in practice first ...

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Yes, maybe even a 0.9 setting will still be okayish and help with performance. The only downside of the HP Reverb's picture quality will be fov, colors and contrasts (the blacks).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@backspace340

This chart gets it all wrong, all those calculations are based on the assumption that VR HMD's work with 100% panel utilization, which isn't the case. The Valve Index will be the first consumer HMD which tries to tackle that problem with a new concept for optics. All HMD's since 2016 just reach something about 70% panel utilization or less, which means there is much less ppd as stated in the chart. The other thing is that FOV on the Index is very user dependent, only if you are able to max out the so called eye relief setting (bring the lenses as close as possible to your eyes) you will be able to experience fov up to 130~140 degrees. However, technically the HP Reverb has the highest ppd of them all, followed by the Index...

That sounds like more marketing waffle to me, which is yet another reason why I'm saying we need to wait until people have it in their hands to know more.

The points you're all making can't all be true - EITHER it's a 110 degree headset (with 110 degrees of the game being displayed on the screens) but it uses the lenses to allow you to see more of the 110 degrees than other headsets, in which case it has a similar PPD to the Odyssey/Vive Pro with the added benefit of being an RGB stripe screen OR it's a 130 degree headset (with 130 degrees of the game being displayed on the screens) and despite its fancy lenses it's going to have a lower PPD. Honestly it sounds like it might be the first one and the VR journalists have just misunderstood - Valve have never said the FOV, they just said you'd be able to see 20 degrees more than the Vive - if in the Vive you can only see 85 of the 110 degree FOV (because of the poor utilization), then all the lenses/canted screens could be doing is bumping that up to 105.

I don't understand how it can be both a 130 degree headset AND have the same PPD as a 110 degree headset. Talk me through the logic of that one...

The points you're all making can't all be true - EITHER it's a 110 degree headset (with 110 degrees of the game being displayed on the screens) but it uses the lenses to allow you to see more of the 110 degrees than other headsets, in which case it has a similar PPD to the Odyssey/Vive Pro with the added benefit of being an RGB stripe screen

and the disbenefit of poor black levels compared to OLED screens, the Mura issue and (if we are to believe reviews so far) a small sweet spot.

I'm probably going to buy the Reverb and the Index and compare with my Vive Pro. I just wish it would all happen a bit quicker!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

and the disbenefit of poor black levels compared to OLED screens, the Mura issue and (if we are to believe reviews so far) a small sweet spot.

I'm probably going to buy the Reverb and the Index and compare with my Vive Pro. I just wish it would all happen a bit quicker!

I have to wait for either the Index to go on sale outside the US/EU or for some brave soul to try 10ft extensions on the Reverb and prove it works (my PC has to sit on the other side of the room from where I play), so plenty of waiting ahead for me!

I nudged MRTV to do a flight and driving sim special with his Reverb on the Youtube comments for his tracking video. I'm sure he'll do one, but a bit of encouragement might nudge him in the right direction. Sebastian from MRTV seems to own the only Reverb on the planet, so he's our best bet.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I don't think that's been proven at all yet - which is why I'm waiting for comparisons from people who actually have it in their hands.

Just adding to what was said earlier, I think even the wording from the Steam site leaves the issue in no doubt:

'Optimized for FOV

The best way to improve field of view is to position the optics as close as possible to the eyes. Physically adjustable IPD (distance between eyes) and eye relief (distance from lens to eye) lets you optimize the field of view for your face. With these features, as well as the dual-element lens and canted optics, this headset provides 20° more FOV than the HTC Vive for typical users.'

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Euh.. mrtv has already dropped a tracking video on the hp reverb. For 99 percent No tracking issues. :D The reverb ring is closing up. :D Glad i didn’t go for the rift s. I saw the vid from yar comparison rift with rift s. It’s a little clearer. WoW hope hp drop the bomb soon! Can’t wait.. it just works! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Euh.. mrtv has already dropped a tracking video on the hp reverb. For 99 percent No tracking issues. :D The reverb ring is closing up. :D Glad i didn’t go for the rift s. I saw the vid from yar comparison rift with rift s. It’s a little clearer. WoW hope hp drop the bomb soon! Can’t wait.. it just works! :D

Cancelled my consumer Reverb from amazon since they say currently unavailable and ordered from these guys. Its the pro version and it was cheaper than Amazon after taxes. They have 20 sold out of 22 ordered. Expected delivery on 6/4/19.

https://www.shopblt.com/item/hewlett-packard-7dh40ut-aba-smart-buy-reverb/hp_7dh40utabah.html

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Cancelled my consumer Reverb from amazon since they say currently unavailable and ordered from these guys. Its the pro version and it was cheaper than Amazon after taxes. They have 20 sold out of 22 ordered. Expected delivery on 6/4/19.

https://www.shopblt.com/item/hewlett-packard-7dh40ut-aba-smart-buy-reverb/hp_7dh40utabah.html

Well, they also say ETAs are just estimates and not at all guaranteed.

So, you've ordered lots of things from them, and know they're trustworthy? Amazon is a known quantity.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Here it says too 4 june 2019. https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/hp-reverb-vr-headset.html

I'll wait till it's in stock! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I made this sketch to demonstrate the panel utilization problem:

So if the Index is able to use most of it's 1440x1600 RGB matrix panel, it will deliver the best compromise between ppd vs fov.

Except that the Reverb uses Square/circle Sqircle lenses. So no one really knows how much wasted pixel space there is. Same thing really for the Index, no one knows anything about the double lens design, aside from the fact it produces terrible god rays.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yup... In "theory"

Good news is that it sounds like the VR improvement will make it into 2.55 (next week?)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Same thing really for the Index, no one knows anything about the double lens design, aside from the fact it produces terrible god rays.

Source?

Except that the Reverb uses Square/circle Sqircle lenses. So no one really knows how much wasted pixel space there is. Same thing really for the Index, no one knows anything about the double lens design, aside from the fact it produces terrible god rays.

To be fair, it is also reported to have no fresnel-ring-aberrations.

To be fair, it is also reported to have no fresnel-ring-aberrations.

The Index?

Source?

I forget the actual review, but it was one of the first ones out (maybe road to VR). Who knows, no one else mentioned it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There is also this on the resolution front... (ars review)

"The Valve Index isn't there yet. Instead, it's now hovering just above the HTC Vive Pro in terms of legibility—you can read text on a bumper sticker roughly ten virtual feet away, or a large font on a piece of paper in your virtual hand. If text appears any smaller than that, the Index will leave you looking through blurry pixels."

I forget the actual review, but it was one of the first ones out (maybe road to VR). Who knows, no one else mentioned it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There is also this on the resolution front... (ars review)

"The Valve Index isn't there yet. Instead, it's now hovering just above the HTC Vive Pro in terms of legibility—you can read text on a bumper sticker roughly ten virtual feet away, or a large font on a piece of paper in your virtual hand. If text appears any smaller than that, the Index will leave you looking through blurry pixels."

To be honest, I would say it is irresponsible to make comments like the Index has ‘terrible god rays’ when anything I read suggests the opposite. However, we still are very short on any real hands-on reviews.

I recall it was in the first detailed review of it that I read and it really stood out to me. It wouldn't surprise me, every headset manufacturer has cheaped out on AR lens coatings AFAIK.

Here ya go. From the reviewers mouth. It may or may not be that bad since other reviews haven't commented on it or only bad in some situations.

"While Valve’s dual-element optics might be focused on a wide field of view and large sweet spot, it seems to have come at the cost of an increase in internal reflections (god rays). Moderately high contrast scenes cause significant glare which unfortunately detracts from the other benefits in clarity."

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-hands-on-preview-valve-vr-headset/2/

I guess it's all speculation really at this stage.

One thing I will say, however, is that your quote from Ars Technica was comparing to the Vive Pro. Now, the first thing that amazed me when I replaced my Rift with a Vive Pro was the HUGE difference in text readability. Those 80% extra pixels really made a big difference.

So, saying that the Index was ahead of that will be a big boost to any Rift or Vive users.

I've always said that I am perfectly happy with the resolution of the Vive Pro, it's the SDE and sweet spot size that I would like to see hugely improved.

I guess it's all speculation really at this stage.

One thing I will say, however, is that your quote from Ars Technica was comparing to the Vive Pro. Now, the first thing that amazed me when I replaced my Rift with a Vive Pro was the HUGE difference in text readability. Those 80% extra pixels really made a big difference.

So, saying that the Index was ahead of that will be a big boost to any Rift or Vive users.

I've always said that I am perfectly happy with the resolution of the Vive Pro, it's the SDE and sweet spot size that I would like to see hugely improved.

Fair enough. I guess what stands out to me is that they aren't wowing about the "clarity" like folks are about the reverb. Given the transition to LCD's it will have way more subpixels so in a way it sort of surprised me that they claimed it wasn't all that much better.

As for me, I'm coming from a CV1 so whatever I end up with will be better :) even a rift-S.

Fair enough. I guess what stands out to me is that they aren't wowing about the "clarity" like folks are about the reverb. Given the transition to LCD's it will have way more subpixels so in a way it sort of surprised me that they claimed it wasn't all that much better.

As for me, I'm coming from a CV1 so whatever I end up with will be better :) even a rift-S.

+1 :D

Not sure that's true. Most 'reviews' are talking about the clarity, increased FOV, sweet spot, etc.

However, all these 'reviews' are almost the same. I'm guessing that most of them have not tried the headset, and the others probably had a few minutes with a Valve sales guy talking in their heads!

Like we've said many times, let's wait on hands-on reviews from some respected people rather than speculate.