VR / Terrain Engine update - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #21
dawgie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Honestly there are times on my new system where I see low frame rates and my GPU is humming along at 60-70%, CPU doesn't seem to be taxed more than usual, but its usually running near full out. And I really have trouble getting more than 45fps so I'm not sure what the deal is for me.
Obviously it's not your hardware, couldn't be much faster at the moment.

So, it probably is your software. OS, apps, unneeded services that are running, pagefile, background apps, monitoring software, update settings, etc etc. Software optimization is key for DCS I've noticed.

And if it turns out it's not that either, than all that's left is waiting for ED to optimize DCS, like they did/do with this upcoming update.
Software optimization is highly underrated. Faster hardware with poorly optimised software won't give you increased performance.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #22
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgie79 View Post
Obviously it's not your hardware, couldn't be much faster at the moment.

So, it probably is your software. OS, apps, unneeded services that are running, pagefile, background apps, monitoring software, update settings, etc etc. Software optimization is key for DCS I've noticed.

And if it turns out it's not that either, than all that's left is waiting for ED to optimize DCS, like they did/do with this upcoming update.
Software optimization is highly underrated. Faster hardware with poorly optimised software won't give you increased performance.
Its a new clean install of winders, so aside from steam/dcs a few other games nothing else not even a spare web browser. So its not some jank sofware, leaving.... DCS, which is not really surprising. I'm looking forward to the optimization on the maps, but I'm sure I'll eat whatever improvement with a next gen HMD that I will inevitably buy, though I can run most things on high with a PD near 2.0 without too many problems, so "in theory" I should be GTG with a Reverb at PD1.0 and the other settings the same.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 04-19-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 AM   #23
dawgie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Its a new clean install of winders, so aside from steam/dcs a few other games nothing else not even a spare web browser. So its not some jank sofware, leaving.... DCS, which is not really surprising. I'm looking forward to the optimization on the maps, but I'm sure I'll eat whatever improvement with a next gen HMD that I will inevitably buy, though I can run most things on high with a PD near 2.0 without too many problems, so "in theory" I should be GTG with a Reverb at PD1.0 and the other settings the same.
Ah, PD 2.0, forget I said anything.

Yeah, new VR. Seeing is believing in my case, specs are not everything. I just seriously doubt if anyone will be able to fully enjoy the announced specs of those high-res VR sets with current gen GPU's, with decent graphics settings in DCS.

Sorry.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:18 AM   #24
Harlikwin

Well, we will all find out. With a 50% increase in frame rates I think its doable for high end cards.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #25
etherbattx

i can’t wait.

it will be fun to read this thread in six months and see how close or far our arm chairing turned out to be.
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
javelina1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherbattx View Post
i can’t wait.

it will be fun to read this thread in six months and see how close or far our arm chairing turned out to be.
Totally!

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Virpil WarBRD
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote