HW/Performance issue related to VR, help needed - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #31
darkman222

Okay, so to make it absolutely clear for me. The best thing I can do is to purchase a new processor and mainboard and hope that DCS will magically switch to 90 fps. If not I am the proud owner of new hardware then.
darkman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #32
ravenzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman222 View Post
Okay, so to make it absolutely clear for me. The best thing I can do is to purchase a new processor and mainboard and hope that DCS will magically switch to 90 fps. If not I am the proud owner of new hardware then.

Go get it. If it doesn’t work out for you, feel free to send them over ;-D

Bloody money-eating game, ED must have taken a lot from the hardware manufacturers...

Despite that, tbh, I would be satisfied enough as long as I can get a stable 45 under decent graphic settings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7-6700, 24GB RAM, RTX 2080TI, NVMe SSD 500GB, SATA SSD 1TB, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR 5, Samsung O+
Aircrafts: F/A-18C(primary), F-14, A-10C, AV-8B, FC3, L-39, UH-1, KA-50, CE II, CA
Maps: PG, NTTR
ravenzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #33
Strikeeagle345

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman222 View Post
you will be lucky to get 90 FPS in VR with the best of hardware. Maybe once the Terrain engine update gets pushed, but until then you would need minimum settings to get a solid 90.

either way, new HW helps.

Strike
VF-41
vCVW-11
www.vcvw-11.com

i7-9700K | MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 1070 | Samsung SSD | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | HOTAS Warthog
Strikeeagle345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #34
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenzino View Post
Damn, so I really have to spent the money in replacing for:
i9-9900K + CPU Cooler
z390 MB
32GB RAM
and probably a chassis...

That's not what I thought I've signed up for when getting the VR......
No , you should be able to get much better performance from that hardware . It is a settings problem . I am running a 3.2ghz cpu and a 1070 with much better results , maintaining 45 fps . One thing that bothers me with your settings is the XMP profile enabled . AFAIK , that should be disabled with 2133mhz memory .

My own DCS settings for reference :
Textures low
Cockpit shadows low
Visibility range low
Water high
Civil traffic low
Msaa x2
Blurs off
Trees 64%
Clutter 0%
Flat terrain shadows
No chimney smoke
AF 16
Pd 1.0
This while also running Voiceattack .

You should be able to improve at least one of these with your slightly faster cpu .
Yes the CPU is bottlenecking your gpu , but you should be running a solid 45 fps .

"Hold my beer"

Last edited by Svsmokey; 04-17-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Updated settings
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 AM   #35
DeltaMike

Huh. I can't see CPU render time in there, but yeah the GPU render time definitely needs to be below 23.

If you look at Svsmokey's settings, and Wags' settings, note the vis range is set to medium. I think that's pretty important. If you do that, I think you'll find that setting the trees slider about in the middle works as well as anything. That'll take pressure off both the CPU and the GPU without affecting playability.

Why don't you set PD to 1.0, supersampling to 100%, civ traffic off, grass off, smoke off, shadows off, vis range medium, MSAA off and see where you're at. I'll bet you'll be fine. Next try adding shadows back in. If it chokes at that point, that's probably your CPU. Turn shadows off (or to "flat") until you upgrade your CPU. Once you're done with that, you can add in MSAA and PD to suit your fancy until your GPU chokes, then back off one or the other or both.

Don't go crazy on supersampling. For one thing,PD and "supersampling" are the same thing, I'd adjust one or the other but not both. The in-game setting works fine, roll with that. Seems like people have been favoring lower PD settings lately, which is good because with a higher native resolution you're gonna be beating your GPU to death (especially if you're making two or more passes with it)

All my experience is with a low power low res system but I've looked at a lot of numbers and something tells me sysmokey is all over it
Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #36
ravenzino

Oh dear, I'm in trouble... even when I turned basically all off, lower than Svsmokey's settings, I still can't get a solid 45, not even when I was above sea when there's basically nothing nearby other than a couple of ships and some clouds...
I'm now cleaning my system by uninstalling as many applications as possible... probably start with VMWare which I seldom use...

i7-6700, 24GB RAM, RTX 2080TI, NVMe SSD 500GB, SATA SSD 1TB, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR 5, Samsung O+
Aircrafts: F/A-18C(primary), F-14, A-10C, AV-8B, FC3, L-39, UH-1, KA-50, CE II, CA
Old 04-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #37
DeltaMike

If I had a miner that was underperforming to that extent I'd be thinking RMA sooner rather than later. I'd run a VRAM check and some benchmarks. That GPU render time doesn't look right, those look like my numbers
Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #38
ravenzino

3DMark shows everything is good... used EVGA OC Scanner for testing VRAM, at least the tested 6G is all good......

Reinstalled SteamVR and Mixed Reality for SteamVR. And gave Nvidia graphic settings a reset.

Now with Hornet instant action Cold and Dark at Caucasus, I get 45 when looking forward and about 30 when looking sideways where there're aircrafts or ground equipment, 40-45 when up in air.

By using Frame Timing tool of SteamVR, I got two charts as attached. 111.png for in game, 222.png for menu screen (inside hanger with 3D flanker, solid 90 FPS). Still trying to understand it though.

Another weird thing is, if I switch to F10 map view, the FPS will drop to about 30... doesn't make any sense to me...

I'll probably just bear with it for the moment until upgrade some time later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111.png
Views:	18
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	208840   Click image for larger version

Name:	222.png
Views:	14
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	208841  

Old 04-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #39
Strikeeagle345

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenzino View Post
3DMark shows everything is good... used EVGA OC Scanner for testing VRAM, at least the tested 6G is all good......

Reinstalled SteamVR and Mixed Reality for SteamVR. And gave Nvidia graphic settings a reset.

Now with Hornet instant action Cold and Dark at Caucasus, I get 45 when looking forward and about 30 when looking sideways where there're aircrafts or ground equipment, 40-45 when up in air.

By using Frame Timing tool of SteamVR, I got two charts as attached. 111.png for in game, 222.png for menu screen (inside hanger with 3D flanker, solid 90 FPS). Still trying to understand it though.

Another weird thing is, if I switch to F10 map view, the FPS will drop to about 30... doesn't make any sense to me...

I'll probably just bear with it for the moment until upgrade some time later...
Looks like your CPU has a high frame time.

Strike
VF-41
vCVW-11
www.vcvw-11.com

i7-9700K | MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 1070 | Samsung SSD | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | HOTAS Warthog
Strikeeagle345 is offline   Reply With Quote