Odyssey + Consolidated Settings April '19

Nagilem

So I decided last week to purchase a VR set. I've been playing with a 2 monitor setup for the past few months with the primary monitor a 34" curved gaming monitor and a secondary smaller touchscreen in the F18 cockpit. And while that was working well for me, I found myself wanting more immersion. TrackIR was good, wasn't really giving me the experience I wanted.

Before I go farther -

1. I am not an expert by any stretch, but I read alot, and came to some clear objectives after I bought and played with the HMD. I'll cover those below.

2. As a photographer in real life, I like clean readable images. That kept me from buying VR for a long time. I tell you this to give some context - not everybody enters the VR adventure the same, and reading any VR reviews is very subjective. What I like may be very different from what others like. This is my attempt to give you some context on what I see when I play VR. Sadly, there is no way to show something directly through the HMD. VR seems still to be looking through a screen door, even with the O+. The effect is minimal, but the fuzziness around everything is still there.

3. If you read my sig, I have high end equipment - i9900 with a 2080ti card which I use for things other than gaming. I have been fortunate in my life, I have a very understanding wife, and have been able to save for a long time... and what I am going to put below will be with this hardware context in mind.

I chose to purchase the Odyssey Plus HMD vs wait for the new versions coming because I've never tried VR before and none of the new sets will be inexpensive. I didn't want to spend ridiculous money and time on something I wasn't going to like from the get go. The HP will be $600 when it release, the Index will likely be much higher (I'd have to buy lighthouses too), and the Rift S, while somewhat economical, is still a few months away. I wanted a cost effective way to try out VR with a solid HMD. The Odyssey Plus at $299 with 1440x1600 per eye and OLED screens is here today, is a known quantity and defintely fit the 'low cost' bill (pun fully intended).

I also think the new sets will likely have issues for a few weeks / months while software drivers and settings get worked out, and I decided I could take a slight loss in clarity to have a much smoother and more stutter free experience with the hardware I have. I also think even a 2080ti may have issues driving those new HMDs - only time will tell.

After getting the HMD, I played on it a bit, then decided to meet these objectives with my settings -

1. Lower the shimmer effect for polygons and lines as much as possible both in cockpit and out.

2. Reduce or eliminate the micro stutter effect when moving the plane. I see these most if I turn up the settings and perform a basic roll or turn in a densely populated area like Sochi or Dubai. Instead of nice smooth trees, hills or buildings rolling by, they stutter just a bit. No bueno!

3. Make the cockpit readable.

Going in, I will say achieved these for me, but there is no perfection. I still get some very minor shimmer (especially the carrier with all of those fine lines), the occasional micro stutter, and while readable (without squinting or leaning forward all the time), the cockpit is just slightly fuzzy still.

My settings -

Textures - Low; With much testing, I found that the high, med, low was not that different and made things micro stutter alot more on high.

Terrain Textures - Low; same as above. Not much real difference for performance loss.

Civ Traffic - Low; I like this on for a little traffic and to make the cities seem real.

Water - High; This setting shows a big difference in look to me. The ocean looks much more real. This is one I would target to lower if I start seeing performance issues.

Visible Range - Ultra; I turned this up to keep the immersion factor high. I didn't want to see buildings being painted in the distance. So far, everything paints just out of view so no issues with this. There is one more notch above this one...

Heat Blur - Low; this is preference. I like seeing some effect as I chase down migs :)

Shadows - Off; Having this on made very little difference in image prettiness that I could see in game and had huge performance negatives.

Cockpit Resolution - 1024; very needed to make the cockpit legible. Repainting every frame unnecessary and was a huge performance bog.

MSAA - 2x; To me this is REQUIRED. This took care of most of the shimmer outside the cockpit. Sadly, more is not better. 2x good, 4x basically made the game a very expensive slideshow viewer.

Depth of Field - Off

Lens Effects - Off

Motion Blur - Off

SSAA - Off

Clutter / Grass - 150; some grass without significant performance hit

Tree Visibility - 70%; good amount of trees for Caucasus map.

Preload Radius - MAX; I have 32GB of memory and wanted to max performance.

Chimney Smoke - Off

Gamma - 1.8; I made this choice to balance the vibrancy of the image - 1.0-1.4 very vibrant colors but felt like I was wearing sunglasses, above 2.0 all colors wash out for me.

Anisiotropic Filtering - 16x; Also a must for me. This made a small difference in shimmer outside the cockpit, and a huge difference inside, especially with the IEFI and the DDIs. The difference between 4x and 16x wasn't huge, but worth it. This is one I would turn down if I found I was having micro stutters again.

Terrain Object Shadows - Off

Cockpit global illumination - off

I left all the boxes unchecked here...

On the VR page -

I set PD to 1.3 - (I'll get to the SteamVR settings in a sec.) For my rig, this made a good balance between detail in the HMD and getting decent visible performance (no significant micro stuttering).

Also of note is turning on the mouse cage and turning OFF the VR controllers.

I also set a IPD setting of 60. This changed how close menus were to my eyes and made my scale seem less in my face while flying. For me, the higher the number, the closer everything was to my POV. YMMV.

In SteamVR -

I force set the PD to 108% based on threads here on the forums and Reddit. I haven't seen much difference between 100% and 108% so I think either would work fine. This pushes the HMD to just over 1440x1600 per eye. I intend to set this and forget it. All future changes I'll make in game.

I also unchecked the Super Sampling box in the developer menu, and turned on the motion reprojection for WMR. THIS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I highly recommend giving this a try.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228378&highlight=motionvector

****EDIT - I have chosen to skip the FXAA since it really made negligible difference and actually made the 'outside the pit' objects slightly less sharp. I also left the MXAA on in the NVidea panel (See below) **** The only other thing I changed was I opened the NVidia control panel and turned FXAA on to add one more layer of Anti Aliasing. My understanding is FXAA is very low overhead and I wanted to reduce shimmer. This does help a bit, and had no significant performance impact for me. :thumbup:

Testing - I used free flight in solo to do my general testing. This is easy to get to, and typically flies over densely populated areas like Sochi and Dubai. I tried both to give a base perception with the expectation that I should get very smooth results over Sochi, and *some* micro stuttering over Dubai. I hope the pending VR updates from ED will make even those micro stutters over Dubai go away. I also tried air 2 air refueling missions for plane textures, and carrier flybys to see what that looked like.

I do play online, and have found that if my performance was good to great solo, then multiplayer was at least good (assuming everything else is good).

Final thoughts - What I get with the above settings is a very good experience in VR. The view is reasonable, no significant SDE, good black saturation, and reasonably sharp for a VR set. I have not seen a Pimax so I don't know what I don't know on FOV and will happily stay ignorant until some WMR wide FOV comes out :). I have had zero issues with head tracking on the O+ after playing most of Sat and Sun. Jury is still out on it long term.

I have chosen not to comment on comfort of the headset because it is totally subjective (thankfully it works for me). I am also purposefully avoiding discussing frame rates - Call me lazy, but I didn't want to load up yet another software, and felt comfortable just using my eyes to "fly by the seat of my pants" to judge usability. I also didn't want to get wrapped around what I see as chasing performance for performance sake. I just wanted to fly. Others may want to take a more scientific approach... and I say more power to ya!

Edited by Nagilem

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to consolidate this stuff so maybe someone new doesn't have to read every thread to get to a decent setup :).

Just curious, how do shadows affect the plane spotting? I find that mostly the distant objects are very blurry, but I do see the small dots of aircraft at ~10km or so. I'd love to figure out how to get aircraft sharper. Will retry textures and shadows to see if anything changes.

I also forgot to mention I do have the Nvidia MFAA on as well.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Had mostly the same settings with the Odyssey+ too, but left the AA option in the Nvidia driver off. My impression was, that with no FXAA in Nvidia settings, the image in DCS becomes sharper.

Also in SteamVR pushed Supersampling to 208, which was still fine performancewise.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

So I went back and tried a few more things....

First, pushed the textures up to high and removed the FXAA. I also added the shadow settings to flat. Image is slightly sharper, but I get alot more micro stuttering. Very frustrated I have a top of the line video card and still can't get smooth VR... I may just live with it and hopefully see improvements when the VR enhancement comes out.

I don't have high hopes for the new cards coming out to be that much better. 1400x1600 is already taxing my 2080ti card or my i9-9900k cpu. I suspect more upgrades will need to be in that mix to get anything new out of those high resolution HMDs. We will see.

Interestingly, I also pushed the PD up to 1.5 just to see if the image gets better. The answer for me is NO. I saw no discernible difference in PD of 1.3 vs 1.5 besides more stuttering affect. That surprised me.

On a separate item: Question - For those with WMR, does your loading screens flicker and constantly disappear during loading? Not a big deal I guess, things work after they load, but my sky and f18 loading screens flash and flicker badly during loading. Not sure why.

Edited by Nagilem
Readability

I don't understand the logic of adjusting PD/supersampling in both dcs and steam. Aren't those at least additive? Does supersampling really add anything to high res displays?

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

My system is clearly lower but I try the same as you, the shimmering was my biggest problem. I have the settings almost identical.

Which plane do you fly the most? Strangely enough in the F14 there are no MFD's but the worn look is too much for VR. I have applied this mod DCS: F-14 - Brickdust's "Drunken Sailor" VR Friendly Cockpit https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=238208

For the F18 I adjust the line thickness of the MFD's see here, let me edit this message later after I look on my DCS system. EDIT: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=234431

My settings

stroke_thickness = 0.7

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.58

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.32

In general, there seems to be a difference based upon which map you play. Last week I was in the hornet on a carrier deck and it was completely clear. other maps a little less. My last change that made a clear difference was to set the application resolution in SteamVR to the recommended value. it made the image more clear, that fuzzy look went away.

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

@DeltaMike - Yes they are additive. I'm not sure I fully understand the tech behind it - driver priority, hardware screen painting etc.

What I can tell you is that I have my SteamVR at 108% to set the resolution for the HMD, and set the PD to 1.3 to render the images to the screens. I get the best performance and resolution at 1.3 and NO HIGHER. Otherwise I get what I call micro stuttering - where the outside no longer moves smoothly and sort of hiccups slightly. Not a slide show, but not smooth.

@Dutchcoolhand - I mainly fly F18 at the moment. I will be getting the F14 but wanted to truly have some mastery over F18 first. I agree with the shimmer as the number one thing to address. The settings above have *almost* complete removed shimmer from all but the carrier. Not sure there is much to do about that given all the fine lines on the deck of the carrier. I am curious to see if the MSAA can be turned up further after the VR mod comes in.

Yup, just applied the strokes config you mentioned as well. It made a very slight difference to readability, and I also get the same issue where readability of DDIs depends on the map I'm in or what is happening on the map. It isn't consistent.

Anybody have suggestions to address the forehead pad on the O+? I always end up with a red line on the forehead after flying, and it gets uncomfortable after an hour. I purchased the CreativeStudio strap to help along with the VR cover. I'll give them a try and report back.

Edited by Nagilem

Settings used to stop judders when looking at terrain while looking outside of canopy in a sharp banking turn left or right. Fairly consistent 45 FPS in F-18 on Caucasus free flight mode. Have Windows 10 page file set manual at 32 gig min and 64 gig max, not getting any micro stutters.

Textures - high

Terrain Textures - high

Civ Traffic - off

Water - medium

Visible Range - high

Heat Blur - off

Shadows - flat

Cockpit Resolution - 512

MSAA - off

Depth of Field - off

Lens Effects - off

Motion Blur - off

SSAA - off

Clutter / Grass - 0%

Tree Visibility - 100%

Preload Radius - MAX

Chimney Smoke - 1

Gamma - 1.8

Anisotropic Filtering - 16x

Terrain Object Shadows - flat

Cockpit global illumination - on

DCS PD - 1.3

SteamVR SS - 100%

SO+ Motion Reprojection - on

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

On a separate item: Question - For those with WMR, does your loading screens flicker and constantly disappear during loading? Not a big deal I guess, things work after they load, but my sky and f18 loading screens flash and flicker badly during loading..

Yes

On a separate item: Question - For those with WMR, does your loading screens flicker and constantly disappear during loading? Not a big deal I guess, things work after they load, but my sky and f18 loading screens flash and flicker badly during loading. Not sure why.

yes, its a WMR thing for some reason.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

@Naruto - I tried out those settings and found the same. No significant stutter. The biggest change is setting the cockpit res down. There is doesn't seem to be much difference between the 256 and 1024 options. I thought those two would look wildly different and they just don't. Also the repaint screen options have little effect that I could see visually for the performance loss.

I will say that the clarity of objects far away, especially lights at night is not very good. Did a case 3 recovery last night and could see a jumble of lights but had to get very close (within 3nm) to start make out the shape of the carrier.

could be my old tired eyes hehe.

Anybody have suggestions to address the forehead pad on the O+? I always end up with a red line on the forehead after flying, and it gets uncomfortable after an hour. I purchased the CreativeStudio strap to help along with the VR cover. I'll give them a try and report back.

I got the VRCover, just google it and it makes it more comfortable on my forehead although the VRCover does not touch my forehead.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

@DutchCoolHand - same here! just received it yesterday and flying is much more enjoyable! It now feels comfortable enough to wear for hours and not give me the dented forehead look...

I still have the studiocreative strap for over my head coming to also relieve some of the pressure on my nose and forehead. Hopefully, between the two it will feel like a baseball cap with googles.

• 2 weeks later...

My build is quite similar as yours. However, I can't stand when Shadow is set to flat or off, that makes the cockpit instantly fake.

I've tried your settings, including Reprojection set to on, but with Shadow on low, I only got a steady 30fps. And the reprojection is somehow making the head movement less smooth, the graphic feels slightly blurry as well.

My current setting, on the other hand, seems giving me better experience, though still not great. Basic principle is all default on Nvidia control panel and SteamVR(Release version, not Beta, and yes it'll probably default to some 200% SS), keep Reprojection off in the Mixed Reality VR Driver config file, set in game PD to 1.0, everything else is nearly maxed out (except a couple of unusual ones like SSAA). Doing so, I get 45 when the view is relatively clear, or dive down to some 30 when the view is populated with objects. Best part is head movement feels smoother and looks sharper. You probably can give it a try and see how it turns out on your rig.

My settings below:

Nvidia control panel: all default

SteamVR: all default, especially the Video page. So SS is probably defaulted to 200%

Textures - HIGH

Terrain Textures - HIGH

Civ Traffic - Low

Water - High

Visible Range - Ultra

Heat Blur - Off (Haven't tried this in VR yet... probably will give it a shot, but later)

Shadows - HIGH

Cockpit Resolution - 1024

MSAA - 2x

Depth of Field - Off

Lens Effects - Both (It looks great!)

Motion Blur - Off

SSAA - Off

Clutter / Grass - 500

Tree Visibility - 50%-70%

Preload Radius - MAX

Chimney Smoke - 1

Gamma - 2.2 (doesn't affect FPS at all)

Anisiotropic Filtering - 16x

Terrain Object Shadows - Default

DCS PD - 1.0

Edited by ravenzino

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

My build is quite similar as yours. However, I can't stand when Shadow is set to flat or off, that makes the cockpit instantly fake.

I've tried your settings, including Reprojection set to on, but with Shadow on low, I only got a steady 30fps. And the reprojection is somehow making the head movement less smooth, the graphic feels slightly blurry as well.

My current setting, on the other hand, seems giving me better experience, though still not great. Basic principle is all default on Nvidia control panel and SteamVR(Release version, not Beta, and yes it'll probably default to some 200% SS), keep Reprojection off in the Mixed Reality VR Driver config file, set in game PD to 1.0, everything else is nearly maxed out (except a couple of unusual ones like SSAA). Doing so, I get 45 when the view is relatively clear, or dive down to some 30 when the view is populated with objects. Best part is head movement feels smoother and looks sharper. You probably can give it a try and see how it turns out on your rig.

My settings below:

Nvidia control panel: all default

SteamVR: all default, especially the Video page. So SS is probably defaulted to 200%

Textures - HIGH

Terrain Textures - HIGH

Civ Traffic - Low

Water - High

Visible Range - Ultra

Heat Blur - Off (Haven't tried this in VR yet... probably will give it a shot, but later)

Shadows - HIGH

MSAA - 2x

Depth of Field - Off

Lens Effects - Both (It looks great!)

Motion Blur - Off

SSAA - Off

Clutter / Grass - 500

Tree Visibility - 50%-70%

Preload Radius - MAX

Chimney Smoke - 1

Gamma - 2.2 (doesn't affect FPS at all)

Terrain Object Shadows - Default

DCS PD - 1.0

Something is wrong here. See my specs in my signature and my settings below (borrowed your write up layout). I get 45 FPS (in Tomcat), sometimes i dip a little below but will usually maintain 45 fps on the ground. Once in the air, I sometimes hit 60 FPS.:huh:

My settings below:

Nvidia control panel: all default, Power management set to max performance

SteamVR: all default, SS 100%

Textures - HIGH

Terrain Textures - HIGH

Civ Traffic - OFF

Water - High

Visible Range - HIGH

Heat Blur - Off

Shadows - HIGH

MSAA - 2x

Depth of Field - Off

Lens Effects - FLARE only

Motion Blur - Off

SSAA - Off

Clutter / Grass - 0

Tree Visibility - 70%

Preload Radius - MAX

Chimney Smoke - 0

Gamma - 2.0

Terrain Object Shadows - OFF

DCS PD - 1.3

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Something is wrong here. See my specs in my signature and my settings below (borrowed your write up layout). I get 45 FPS (in Tomcat), sometimes i dip a little below but will usually maintain 45 fps on the ground. Once in the air, I sometimes hit 60 FPS.:huh:

My settings below:

Nvidia control panel: all default, Power management set to max performance

SteamVR: all default, SS 100%

Textures - HIGH

Terrain Textures - HIGH

Civ Traffic - OFF

Water - High

Visible Range - HIGH

Heat Blur - Off

Shadows - HIGH

MSAA - 2x

Depth of Field - Off

Lens Effects - FLARE only

Motion Blur - Off

SSAA - Off

Clutter / Grass - 0

Tree Visibility - 70%

Preload Radius - MAX

Chimney Smoke - 0

Gamma - 2.0

Terrain Object Shadows - OFF

DCS PD - 1.3

That's quite amazing given that you are only using GTX 1070.

I might give it a try again tonight.

a couple of questions:

1. SteamVR on Beta or Release?

2. Reprojection On or Off?

3. Any tweak of the HW like OC?

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

Thanks for providing your settings! I'll try those settings...

For me any high textures beyond the water seems a waste. They don't really provide any better view of the ground or of the aircraft. To me, everything seems soft. YMMV

If I turn on MSAA and SSAA in control, the pic stutters bad.

Shadows also kill my frames. IF they are working for you, good on ya! Not working for me. I think that may get a fix at at some point.

PD of less than 1.3 looks very blocky to me. I don't like it so I've kept it at 1.3. I'll try it again with SSAA and MSAA set (1.5 and x2)

Oh and I received the StudioCreative head strap. That combined with the VRCover has been awesome!

Thanks for providing your settings! I'll try those settings...

For me any high textures beyond the water seems a waste. They don't really provide any better view of the ground or of the aircraft. To me, everything seems soft. YMMV

If I turn on MSAA and SSAA in control, the pic stutters bad.

Shadows also kill my frames. IF they are working for you, good on ya! Not working for me. I think that may get a fix at at some point.

PD of less than 1.3 looks very blocky to me. I don't like it so I've kept it at 1.3. I'll try it again with SSAA and MSAA set (1.5 and x2)

Someone said, which I believe is true though I could still be wrong, that SteamVR SS and DCS PD is a same thing. They both tell GPU to render at higher resolution and then down scale to native resolution, which helps the quality of graphics. Not sure which one takes bigger overhead (as well as more system resources) though.

I tried DCS SSAA, seems its impact is unacceptable, and it doesn't seem to provide benefit... probably just leave it off.

Btw, I just tried changing the Power Management to max performance in Nvidia Control Panel, that makes much more difference than I thought it would.

Now when I was up in the air, I get some 50 or even 60+ fps. 45 at least.

Silly me, how did I miss such probably most obvious tuning item that has been there since the beginning of this century...

Heat Blur looks nice.

Depth of Field - I chose Bokeh, doesn't seem to affect either visual effect or performance...... was hoping for some surprise actually...

PG, NTTR

Yea - I just went through it all again.

For me, I put all of the NVidia settings to either off, app specific, and also added max performance on energy efficiency. You're right Ravenzino! it does make a big difference.

Inside SteamVR, I moved the slider back to 100% SS and also turned most of the other components off (same as the 1st post).

Inside DCS I tried a bunch of stuff, PD 1.0, SSAA, MSAA x4, shadows low, shadows high, etc. For me, all textures on low, shadows flat, PD 1.3 with MSAA x2 and AA16 looks and performs best. Anything else microstutters for me which kills my immersion or looks really blocky if I lower PD. SSAA had no impact on visuals and killed my frames bad so no go.

Once they fix the Terrain engine, I want to get MSAA x4 up as that looks even better and seems to kill some of the fuzziness for objects in the distance.

Interestingly enough, my vid card and processor aren't pegged in free flight. Processor is sitting at like 10% (not surprising since DCS uses only one core) and GPU around 50% on average. I am seriously hoping for VR optimization AND Vulcan. Those both happen and we will have a great experience in VR.

That's quite amazing given that you are only using GTX 1070.

I might give it a try again tonight.

a couple of questions:

1. SteamVR on Beta or Release?

2. Reprojection On or Off?

3. Any tweak of the HW like OC?

1. SteamVR on Beta or Release? Beta for SteamVR and WMR

2. Reprojection On or Off? Off

3. Any tweak of the HW like OC? i7-9700K is OC at 5ghz, 1070 has a small OC but it makes zero difference if it set to stock.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com