ASQ-173 for Hornet - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Ironwulf

Default ASQ-173 for Hornet

Pretty handy as a Laser spotter whilst we await the TGP... Mounts on a fuselage missile station so don't take up a A/G stores location.

Partially modelled already on the AI F/A-18C it would seem.

Could go the AN/AAS-38 (which it complimented) too, if you wanted to do a set up for earlier period Hornets... but I think that would be a distraction from the other TGP.

My argument is the ASQ-173 would allow better location/designation of the drop point for LGBs, in the meantime.

Last edited by Ironwulf; 04-17-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Ironwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Rennes

I wish they would go with the AN/AAS-38 and ASQ-173 as well. I think they were more appropriate for the 2005 time period. And I used to work on them both so, I'm a little biased. I never saw the ATFLIR in use but I understand the resolution is a lot better, so there is that I guess.
Rennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:27 AM   #3
Ironwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennes View Post
I wish they would go with the AN/AAS-38 and ASQ-173 as well. I think they were more appropriate for the 2005 time period. And I used to work on them both so, I'm a little biased. I never saw the ATFLIR in use but I understand the resolution is a lot better, so there is that I guess.
yeah I know what you're saying, but it would then be yet ANOTHER FLIR for them to do.

I figured the laser spotter would help fill the gap a bit, without the huge workload of doing a whole TGP... worst case once LITENING and ATFLIR are done, maybe they can come back to it if they want to do the more classic hardware.
Ironwulf is offline   Reply With Quote