HW/Performance issue related to VR, help needed

I am having similar issues. You are definitely CPU bound.

see this post here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3879256&postcount=10

I'm leaning towards to believe CPU bond as well. Good to know that someone has tried this out.

However, really don't understand why the CPU performance isn't maxed out. There has to be an observable bottleneck somewhere...

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

I'm leaning towards to believe CPU bond as well. Good to know that someone has tried this out.

However, really don't understand why the CPU performance isn't maxed out. There has to be an observable bottleneck somewhere...

Mine isn't maxed either. I sit around 50% on the CPU but it is tapped out and not feeding my GPU. GPU is sitting at like 50-60% usage all the time.

Also, i am getting higher frame rates than you with an 1070 and older CPU as my CPU is clocked at 3.8 GHz. Food for thought.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Okay, I start to understand. But if the processor is too slow to deliver to the graphics card, there is nothing that can be done, right? If so, what is a known processor + mainboard that can deliver the data fast enough to overcome the 45 fps bound I am stuck into right now?

Damn, so I really have to spent the money in replacing for:

i9-9900K + CPU Cooler

z390 MB

32GB RAM

and probably a chassis...

That's not what I thought I've signed up for when getting the VR...... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

i9-9900K + CPU Cooler

z390 MB

32GB RAM

That's not what I thought I've signed up for when getting the VR...... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

:thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Okay, so to make it absolutely clear for me. The best thing I can do is to purchase a new processor and mainboard and hope that DCS will magically switch to 90 fps. If not I am the proud owner of new hardware then.

Go get it. If it doesn’t work out for you, feel free to send them over ;-D

Bloody money-eating game, ED must have taken a lot from the hardware manufacturers...

Despite that, tbh, I would be satisfied enough as long as I can get a stable 45 under decent graphic settings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG, NTTR

Okay, so to make it absolutely clear for me. The best thing I can do is to purchase a new processor and mainboard and hope that DCS will magically switch to 90 fps. If not I am the proud owner of new hardware then.

you will be lucky to get 90 FPS in VR with the best of hardware. Maybe once the Terrain engine update gets pushed, but until then you would need minimum settings to get a solid 90.

either way, new HW helps.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i9-9900K + CPU Cooler

z390 MB

32GB RAM

No , you should be able to get much better performance from that hardware . It is a settings problem . I am running a 3.2ghz cpu and a 1070 with much better results , maintaining 45 fps . One thing that bothers me with your settings is the XMP profile enabled . AFAIK , that should be disabled with 2133mhz memory .

My own DCS settings for reference :

Textures low

Cockpit shadows low

Visibility range low

Water high

Civil traffic low

Msaa x2

Blurs off

Trees 64%

Clutter 0%

Flat terrain shadows

No chimney smoke

AF 16

Pd 1.0

This while also running Voiceattack .

You should be able to improve at least one of these with your slightly faster cpu .

Yes the CPU is bottlenecking your gpu , but you should be running a solid 45 fps .

Edited by Svsmokey
Updated settings

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Huh. I can't see CPU render time in there, but yeah the GPU render time definitely needs to be below 23.

If you look at Svsmokey's settings, and Wags' settings, note the vis range is set to medium. I think that's pretty important. If you do that, I think you'll find that setting the trees slider about in the middle works as well as anything. That'll take pressure off both the CPU and the GPU without affecting playability.

Why don't you set PD to 1.0, supersampling to 100%, civ traffic off, grass off, smoke off, shadows off, vis range medium, MSAA off and see where you're at. I'll bet you'll be fine. Next try adding shadows back in. If it chokes at that point, that's probably your CPU. Turn shadows off (or to "flat") until you upgrade your CPU. Once you're done with that, you can add in MSAA and PD to suit your fancy until your GPU chokes, then back off one or the other or both.

Don't go crazy on supersampling. For one thing,PD and "supersampling" are the same thing, I'd adjust one or the other but not both. The in-game setting works fine, roll with that. Seems like people have been favoring lower PD settings lately, which is good because with a higher native resolution you're gonna be beating your GPU to death (especially if you're making two or more passes with it)

All my experience is with a low power low res system but I've looked at a lot of numbers and something tells me sysmokey is all over it

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Oh dear, I'm in trouble... even when I turned basically all off, lower than Svsmokey's settings, I still can't get a solid 45, not even when I was above sea when there's basically nothing nearby other than a couple of ships and some clouds...

I'm now cleaning my system by uninstalling as many applications as possible... probably start with VMWare which I seldom use...

PG, NTTR

If I had a miner that was underperforming to that extent I'd be thinking RMA sooner rather than later. I'd run a VRAM check and some benchmarks. That GPU render time doesn't look right, those look like my numbers

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

3DMark shows everything is good... used EVGA OC Scanner for testing VRAM, at least the tested 6G is all good......

Reinstalled SteamVR and Mixed Reality for SteamVR. And gave Nvidia graphic settings a reset.

Now with Hornet instant action Cold and Dark at Caucasus, I get 45 when looking forward and about 30 when looking sideways where there're aircrafts or ground equipment, 40-45 when up in air.

By using Frame Timing tool of SteamVR, I got two charts as attached. 111.png for in game, 222.png for menu screen (inside hanger with 3D flanker, solid 90 FPS). Still trying to understand it though.

Another weird thing is, if I switch to F10 map view, the FPS will drop to about 30... doesn't make any sense to me...

I'll probably just bear with it for the moment until upgrade some time later...

111.thumb.png.2eb06d7987b590d314187555b1382987.png

222.thumb.png.a4006fcc9686e9587c615018d72c5660.png

PG, NTTR

3DMark shows everything is good... used EVGA OC Scanner for testing VRAM, at least the tested 6G is all good......

Reinstalled SteamVR and Mixed Reality for SteamVR. And gave Nvidia graphic settings a reset.

Now with Hornet instant action Cold and Dark at Caucasus, I get 45 when looking forward and about 30 when looking sideways where there're aircrafts or ground equipment, 40-45 when up in air.

By using Frame Timing tool of SteamVR, I got two charts as attached. 111.png for in game, 222.png for menu screen (inside hanger with 3D flanker, solid 90 FPS). Still trying to understand it though.

Another weird thing is, if I switch to F10 map view, the FPS will drop to about 30... doesn't make any sense to me...

I'll probably just bear with it for the moment until upgrade some time later...

Looks like your CPU has a high frame time.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com