VR / Terrain Engine update

Shotsx74

He's already addressed this. They've finished updating the Caucasus map and now they're updating the other maps.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Which I guess leads to the question of whether we can test the Cauc update in OB prior to it being finished for the other maps.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It would be interesting to have the optimization for Causcasus to see the difference as compared to other maps.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

also begs the question,

if it's a terrain engine issue, why do the terrains themselves need an update.

and if the issue in the terrain was so deeply embedded that it require the terrains to be fixed, doesn't that mean that also flat screeners should have some benefit?

My un-educated guess is that the bug was somewhere in the relm of "multiple view ports" (when you need to render the terrain more then once).

which is the case for VR (two almost identical high res view ports) but also in other things like TGP or Mirrors which are present in flatland as well

It would be interesting to have the optimization for Causcasus to see the difference as compared to other maps.

Totally agree, this is a much anticipated update and if Caucasus is ready should be released! Its a big map and we can use it whiles we wait for the others.

I honestly don't care much about the technical background as long as I get 50% more fps :lol:

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I hope it comes soon, after spending fortunes on hardware and software it gets frustrating.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

also begs the question,

if it's a terrain engine issue, why do the terrains themselves need an update.

and if the issue in the terrain was so deeply embedded that it require the terrains to be fixed, doesn't that mean that also flat screeners should have some benefit?

My un-educated guess is that the bug was somewhere in the relm of "multiple view ports" (when you need to render the terrain more then once).

which is the case for VR (two almost identical high res view ports) but also in other things like TGP or Mirrors which are present in flatland as well

Interesting you should say this. I have a reasonable rig now and run everything on dcs in vr on the PG map and get solid 45fps with exception of the F14 and the Viggen. There is a area between around 60degrees and 140degrees where if I’m headed in that direction I experience a frame drop of 15fps. I check my task manager and nothing is maxed out not my cpu not my disk not my gpu so I can’t understand the bottleneck. I disable multiple different features pixel density, msaa, water, shadows, view distance, tree visibility, none of it can prevent this. The only option I have to prevent this drop in frames when headed in these directions is to disable mirrors which is such a shame as I find it such an immersive feature on the F14 particularly as you can’t fold the mirrors up.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

if nothing on your machine is holding it back? what could it be?

a software fps limiter?

Honestly there are times on my new system where I see low frame rates and my GPU is humming along at 60-70%, CPU doesn't seem to be taxed more than usual, but its usually running near full out. And I really have trouble getting more than 45fps so I'm not sure what the deal is for me.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

don’t worry. with enough money, 180 fps is just around the corner

Just think of all the VR cows you will be able to render with the new engine!

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Now how did those get there.........:D

carrier-cows2.jpg

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I'm looking forward to the optimisation as well , though i have to say that i'm currently very happy with my performance . I would not have thought it possible to run low cockpit shadows , water high , civil traffic low , msaa 2x , and flat terrain shadows with my system . Yet here i am , not yet satisfied and contemplating a RIFT S and/or further draw distances with the performance gains anticipated by the terrain engine optimisation .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As to where the VR chokepoint may be. I'll take a punt at the present deferred lighting system being too system intensive for VR use.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

As to where the VR chokepoint may be. I'll take a punt at the present deferred lighting system being too system intensive for VR use.

VR performance did take a big kick in the nuts when DS was forced upon us..:(

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Question for the ED Team,

With the terrain related changes coming that Wags has said are apparently offering some nice VR performance improvements, will these same changes potentially improve regular 2D monitor performance as well?

Thanks in advance...

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Honestly there are times on my new system where I see low frame rates and my GPU is humming along at 60-70%, CPU doesn't seem to be taxed more than usual, but its usually running near full out. And I really have trouble getting more than 45fps so I'm not sure what the deal is for me.

Obviously it's not your hardware, couldn't be much faster at the moment.

So, it probably is your software. OS, apps, unneeded services that are running, pagefile, background apps, monitoring software, update settings, etc etc. Software optimization is key for DCS I've noticed.

And if it turns out it's not that either, than all that's left is waiting for ED to optimize DCS, like they did/do with this upcoming update.

Software optimization is highly underrated. Faster hardware with poorly optimised software won't give you increased performance.

Obviously it's not your hardware, couldn't be much faster at the moment.

So, it probably is your software. OS, apps, unneeded services that are running, pagefile, background apps, monitoring software, update settings, etc etc. Software optimization is key for DCS I've noticed.

And if it turns out it's not that either, than all that's left is waiting for ED to optimize DCS, like they did/do with this upcoming update.

Software optimization is highly underrated. Faster hardware with poorly optimised software won't give you increased performance.

Its a new clean install of winders, so aside from steam/dcs a few other games nothing else not even a spare web browser. So its not some jank sofware, leaving.... DCS, which is not really surprising. I'm looking forward to the optimization on the maps, but I'm sure I'll eat whatever improvement with a next gen HMD that I will inevitably buy, though I can run most things on high with a PD near 2.0 without too many problems, so "in theory" I should be GTG with a Reverb at PD1.0 and the other settings the same.

Edited by Harlikwin

Its a new clean install of winders, so aside from steam/dcs a few other games nothing else not even a spare web browser. So its not some jank sofware, leaving.... DCS, which is not really surprising. I'm looking forward to the optimization on the maps, but I'm sure I'll eat whatever improvement with a next gen HMD that I will inevitably buy, though I can run most things on high with a PD near 2.0 without too many problems, so "in theory" I should be GTG with a Reverb at PD1.0 and the other settings the same.

Ah, PD 2.0, forget I said anything. ;)

Yeah, new VR. Seeing is believing in my case, specs are not everything. I just seriously doubt if anyone will be able to fully enjoy the announced specs of those high-res VR sets with current gen GPU's, with decent graphics settings in DCS.

Sorry. :P

Well, we will all find out. With a 50% increase in frame rates I think its doable for high end cards.