Odyssey+ Questions

raelias

Hello all,

So I just got my new O+ (first VR) and just wanna start saying it's amazing just the world scale and aircraft size as you look behind you swept off my feet

That said I have a couple of questions since this is my first VR and I don't know whats "normal"

Biggest issue here is that the image gets blurryer and blurryer as it more off the center of the lenses, meaning i can't read anything close to the edges where it's very blurry, is that normal?

Also whats the things I can try to mess with to improve readibility? I managed to bring the PD up to 1.8 with no frame loss and i can kind of read stuff on the DDIs for exemple, but i need to get close to read for instance the altitude of the target on the RDR page, any settings i can try to mess with in DCS itself or maybe nvidia control panel?

Oh and when I launch DCS this window pops up with some VR settings for projection, didn't touch that, should I?

Thanks in advance, specs are bellow

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

In Oculus, and I think this is true for all HMD's, there's a "sweet spot" in the lenses. I've found it's really important to get the thing situated on your head so you're looking through the sweet spot.

Regarding readability, any VR headset is gonna seem grainy, be glad you aren't squinting through an oculus.

Try a lower PD with some MSAA, see if that doesn't make the text pop a little bit. Probably help with spotting too. Supersampling tends to make edges squirmy and fluid, hard to read a moving target. MSAA should harden up the edges a little bit.

Using MSAA and PD together tends to flog your GPU. If it's a choice between the two, you might like MSAA better than PD. If you need to you can turn off shadows and set vis range and trees to medium, that'll free up GPU resources without affecting playability, and give you a little more CPU overhead besides.

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

The lense thing is normal, it is the type of lens that causes that. you have to center them vertically on your eye, then adjust the IPD scroll wheel until everything looks crisp.

With the Odyssey+, due to its design, you don't really want to go any higher than 1.5 on the PD. Going higher will make things look Fuzzy. I have found the sweet spot for readability to be 1.4 PD with no MSAA or 1.3 with MSAA at 2x to remove the jagged edges and shimmering. Also, higher than 1.5 and you lose the ability to spot at range. These settings will give you the ability to spot larger aircraft (tankers) at 23-25nm and fighter size aircraft at 12-15nm. NOTE: make sure SteamVR is set to 100% super sampling, otherwise your PD numbers in game will be multiplied. Again, any higher on these and you spotting range starts to come down and things get fuzzier.

for the pop up, its a gray windows with a green outlined VR face mask? if so, that is the SteamVR app running. This is where you will click the drop down and can change settings like Super Sampling, noted above.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

The lense thing is normal, it is the type of lens that causes that. you have to center them vertically on your eye, then adjust the IPD scroll wheel until everything looks crisp.

With the Odyssey+, due to its design, you don't really want to go any higher than 1.5 on the PD. Going higher will make things look Fuzzy. I have found the sweet spot for readability to be 1.4 PD with no MSAA or 1.3 with MSAA at 2x to remove the jagged edges and shimmering. Also, higher than 1.5 and you lose the ability to spot at range. These settings will give you the ability to spot larger aircraft (tankers) at 23-25nm and fighter size aircraft at 12-15nm. NOTE: make sure SteamVR is set to 100% super sampling, otherwise your PD numbers in game will be multiplied. Again, any higher on these and you spotting range starts to come down and things get fuzzier.

for the pop up, its a gray windows with a green outlined VR face mask? if so, that is the SteamVR app running. This is where you will click the drop down and can change settings like Super Sampling, noted above.

Thanks for you reply, I've found that I can get good readbility with MSAA 4x and PD 1, also higher frame rates for same readbility/msaa off, did you experiment with that? I'll try your settings later on 2x MSAA and let you know

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Thanks for you reply, I've found that I can get good readbility with MSAA 4x and PD 1, also higher frame rates for same readbility/msaa off, did you experiment with that? I'll try your settings later on 2x MSAA and let you know

yeah, I tried pd of 1.0 but it was way too "blocky" for my taste. triple check your Steam SS is not at 200%, you may be running higher PD thank you think.:thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

With the 1080ti you can add a little more PD WITH 2xMSAA. I use 1.5. Also map the VR zoom function to a HOTAS button. I found that I had to modify my O+ so that it fit on my head and face better. I should have made a video because it made a world of difference.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

With the 1080ti you can add a little more PD WITH 2xMSAA. I use 1.5. Also map the VR zoom function to a HOTAS button. I found that I had to modify my O+ so that it fit on my head and face better. I should have made a video because it made a world of difference.

as a new user to the O+ I would very much appreciate deeper insight of your configs and adaptations

Steam should never be set below 108%, anything lower is beneath your O+ headsets native resolution.

Settings are card dependent, with an AMD Vega I suffer no penalty with in game 2.0 PD as far as spotting, going one above that and the spotting is gone. So experiment what shoe fits best for you.

Also ignore the number of your built in mechanical IPD setting on the O+ HMD, it isn't accurate, go by what your eyes comfort tells you.

Play around with your world scaling setting, in game called IPD for some reason, you'll get easier to read cockpits and MFD's if they're the correct size and not too small. Lots of O+ users report the scaling is off, bit on the small side. Smaller numbers = larger scale on the in game IPD, it has nothing to do with inter pupil distance.

Play around with your world scaling setting, in game called IPD for some reason, you'll get easier to read cockpits and MFD's if they're the correct size and not too small. Lots of O+ users report the scaling is off, bit on the small side. Smaller numbers = larger scale on the in game IPD, it has nothing to do with inter pupil distance.

Appart from the scale, not forcing IPD or using high values like the default 65 i feel EXTREMELLY cross-eyed and just straining to see anything, i have to keep it around 18 so it feels the best for me, kind of weird really and stuff like the stick feels kind of huge

I don't get it ... the tweak threads and so on recommended using The steamvr SS 200% - I am doing it all with steamVR and leave PD to 1.0 in game. Are there differences in quality?

SteamVR and in game PD multiply. There is no difference in Quality.

If you run SteamVR at 200% and PD of 1.0 in game, you are getting a PD of 1.4 in game.

If you run SteamVR at 100% and PD of 1.4 in game, you are getting a PD of 1.4

If you run SteamVR at 150% and PD of 1.0 in game, you are getting approx. PD of 1.2-1.3

Point being, it is easier to grasp the percentages if you turn SteamVR to 100, and just use the in game.

Again, with the Odyssey+, any PD over 1.5 you will lose range in your ability to spot. Keep that in mind. Also, anything over 1.5, and the cockpit will gradually become fuzzier.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

If you run SteamVR at 200% and PD of 1.0 in game, you are getting a PD of 1.4 in game.

If you run SteamVR at 150% and PD of 1.0 in game, you are getting approx. PD of 1.2-1.3

Point being, it is easier to grasp the percentages if you turn SteamVR to 100, and just use the in game.

Again, with the Odyssey+, any PD over 1.5 you will lose range in your ability to spot. Keep that in mind. Also, anything over 1.5, and the cockpit will gradually become fuzzier.

I don’t get it either. Why isn’t SteamVR at 200% and in-game at 1.0 a PD of 2.0, and why isn’t SteamVR at 150% and in-game at 1.0 a PD of 1.5? Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

I don’t get it either. Why isn’t SteamVR at 200% and in-game at 1.0 a PD of 2.0, and why isn’t SteamVR at 150% and in-game at 1.0 a PD of 1.5? Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beats me. There was a thread in here that figured it out. Was all kinds of weird but it is what it is.:huh:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Reddit r/windowsMR is a great place to gain better understanding of the O+ and VR in general.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Hi,

I have been reading tons of posts and am in a perpetual state of confusion......lol

Your post was interesting but I am wondering about the 3rd component that you don't mention.

So please help me out here.

The 3 components are:

1. In game PD

2. General video settings in Steam VR

3. Specific application settings in Steam VR.

I assume you were talking about the general settings in steamvr in the above post. With that %being said, what did you have the application settings at when making the post. How do the 3 components work together for total PD?

For instance,

What is my total PD if:

1. SteamVr at 100% + application settings at 100% and in game PD at 1.4

2. SteamVr at 100% + application settings at 150% and in game PD at 1.4

3. SteamVr at 200% + application settings at 100% and in game PD at 1.4

4. SteamVr at 100% + application settings at 150% and in game PD at 1.4

In other words, what is the best practice, and how do you calculate total PD?

any help would be appreciated

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

What your not factoring in is steamVR as a universal app, so a setting of 100% in an Occulus giving a PD of 1 won't give a PD of 1 in a HMD with a different set of screens running a different native resolution at 100%. To get the native res ignore the slider and use the actual resolution read out below it. Such as 1440x1600. You can use steam for in game settings, but you need to know what your particular brand of HMD's actually doing in it. The scale is different depending on your make.

A O+ is at base resolution at 108% and will only scale up to 213% maximum in steamVR, there is no beyond despite steamVR showing one. That is a true statement for an O+, but not necessarily true for other makes. Unless you know how your HMD's actually scaling in SteamVR, might be a better idea setting it at true base res and using the in game to scale up.

Also something to consider, the relationship between video card settings and game apps. If your trying to up the res in steam, is steamVR actually taking advantage of the cards game setting abilities since it's not seen as the game itself.

I want to share an observation, I have my Odyssey+ for about 2 months now and always found the image fuzzy looking. I probably spent 2 weeks trying to optimize my image. I did the shader mods, use SteamVR beta with motionreprojectioin, left and right eye alignment etc. etc.

I also got prescription lens covers and all this helps. But I felt it always looked somewhat fuzzy.

After this weeks patch, I saw that SteamVR Beta also was upgraded so I decided to verify the settings. I saw nothing changed and my application resolution was still at 200%. I had put it there in the past based upon all the posts I had read. Below it was the recommendation that 192% was optimal based on my GPU. Thinking I would not lose much I set it to 192%.

I did a carrier takeoff mission in Hornet and from the moment the screen appeared I noticed that the fuzzy look was gone. It made a clearly visible difference.

Check what your card's recommendation is!

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I want to share an observation, I have my Odyssey+ for about 2 months now and always found the image fuzzy looking. I probably spent 2 weeks trying to optimize my image. I did the shader mods, use SteamVR beta with motionreprojectioin, left and right eye alignment etc. etc.

I also got prescription lens covers and all this helps. But I felt it always looked somewhat fuzzy.

After this weeks patch, I saw that SteamVR Beta also was upgraded so I decided to verify the settings. I saw nothing changed and my application resolution was still at 200%. I had put it there in the past based upon all the posts I had read. Below it was the recommendation that 192% was optimal based on my GPU. Thinking I would not lose much I set it to 192%.

I did a carrier takeoff mission in Hornet and from the moment the screen appeared I noticed that the fuzzy look was gone. It made a clearly visible difference.

Check what your card's recommendation is!

Sorry what config did you use to make it better?

And where can I find my recomended for GPU? (1080ti)

A O+ is at base resolution at 108%

Just out of interest can you share the math or source on that? the O+ is 1440 x 1600 per eye … 100% gives an irritating 1423 x 1783 and 108% 1479 x 1853?

Im not saying you are wrong I just want to understand

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

And where can I find my recomended for GPU? (1080ti)

STEAMVR -> VR Settings -> Video just below the slider will see it on the 2nd line

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Quick question, I don't have DCS in steam. I use the standalone version.

In steamVR, in the application section. DCS does not show. It only shows once the game started.

Should I change the PID in the video "generic" section to apply it, correct?

Just out of interest can you share the math or source on that? the O+ is 1440 x 1600 per eye … 100% gives an irritating 1423 x 1783 and 108% 1479 x 1853?

Im not saying you are wrong I just want to understand

It has 1440x1600 res, at 100% your running 1423 verticle, it takes min 108 to equal/ top native. Yeah, it's an oddball with res, 108% makes 1451x1813 on mine. 100% on mine is 1396x1745, and here I assumed they all had the same numbers. Even more important to check the actual res and not the percentage scale.