T.Hotas Warthog VS X52 pro what to buy

Thank goodness it doesn't.

IMO.

All it would need is an option to lock it in place, and disable the input. You would still get what you want, and it would cost next to nothing to implement (compared to what they charge for it already).

Then the OP could get one and upgrade to pedals later, considering he said that he didn't have enough for them in his budget from the start.

He sounded to me like someone that is looking for a first time setup, and dropping $450 on a HOTAS that has no rudder control, and not getting pedals, is pretty much stating that he probably has not done a flight sim since joysticks came with a single button on the top of the stick.

There's a good chance he'll use it once, and put it back in the box, when he realizes he can't even taxi. He'd be better off with a used x52 pro, and selling it later if he decides he needs to upgrade. Dropping $600 (WH and pedals) is serious overkill for a beginner setup, vs. $80 for a used x52 pro.

You could assign the slide control to the rudder until you get pedals....

Edited by Rubberduck
rubbish spelling

Best Regards

Nigel

AKA Rubberduck

My Dad- Always check for paper before sitting down....:music_whistling:

Win7 64bBit,Intel® Core i7x4-3820 (3.6GHz), ASUS® SABERTOOTH X79, INTEL CERTIFIED LIQUID COOLING

16GB DDR3 2400MHz, NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 680 4GB, 240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK

BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES, AeroCool Touch 2000 LCD Touch Screen 4 Fan Controller

Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio, Hotas WH, Saitek Pro-Flight Pedals & Cougar MFD's

I have a saitek and personally can't wait to afford the Warthog.... soon I hope!

The new ( Saitek combat ) rudder cost will be the icing on the cake, 'cause flying without rudders is like driving an automatic... anybody can do it!

Bmon

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

Hi guys,

I would like to Thank You for your great feedbacks on this post.

I think a lot of flight sim players will benefit from posts like this, because when it comes down to picking the right flight control stick, money and other experienced pilots thoughts really helps people like me, so please keep your comments on these two Saitek x52 pro and T.H.Warthog joysticks coming in, your thoughts are like gold mine.

I want to be able to use my new flight stick in FSX but the occasional fighter jets + helicopters will be on my list too.

In the meantime i am researching my options between the two sticks and my bank account. ;))

Thanks and wish you all safe flights and landings.

Kind Regards.

Tony

Mr.TOX

100% honest opinion.

As good as the warthog might be - in my opinion it's overpriced. It does not have to be THAT expensive. Weight and stability can be achived cheaper. But they went for the all out stuff for the HC simmer. So I think it has it's place. Also I want to add that I think everyone here is familiar with the psychological trick - "make something expensive and make it look like luxury stuff and people will think it's made by god". Works for clothing, accessories, cars, food, hardware, software, anything.

So you have to look past the price tag and ask yourself - what do I want to DO with that joystick and think ahead a couple years, since both joysticks are a big investment that you probably do not want to replace after 6 months or so.

I'd go for the saitek x52 joystick because overall it's more versatile. It has NOT be designed to function perfectly with ONE aircraft, it has been designed to do an overall good job at everything you throw at it. I always prefer such products. Doing one thing perfectly and doing an average job at other stuff - neh, I'd go for the overall good package. And don't forget - no rudder pedals needed! (twistable joystick)

Currently I fly with the crappy ass, 2 years old Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless and while it's a small, cheap joystick I am sure that I do a better job at stuff in the a-10 than a few people here simply because I fly that thing for a year. What matters is the pilot, not the hardware, see the russian vs. US fighter jet discussion. I think that if you were given 1 year with each joystick you would not feel a differnce after getting used to one. Sure, the hop-over from one to the other would be hard but once you get used to it you don't mind it not being what you had before. I hope I explained that right. The human being is veeeery adaptable. ;p

Final words: you will not be disappointed by both joysticks once you have one. They both are top class. And personally I would go with the X52 because it's cheaper and will do a good job at whatever I throw at it. Mechwarrior games? Done. Flight Simulator? Done. DCS A-10, P51, CA, done. (Try controlling a tank's turret with the joystick, it's sick!)

Edited by Megagoth1702

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

does the A-10c in flaming cliffs 2 use t.h.warthog as plug and play?

Can i control the plane with the wartys exact settings+switches? Do they correspond the same, one to one?

No, the A-10 in FC is the A not the C.

And it is a simplified version, no switch flipping and all.

Edited by Eight Ball

Well, as this is "THW vs X52" topic, I dare to "steal" it (but only a little) and ask:

Is there any possibility to change THW target-profile in game (i.e. using some hotkey)? I have used this extensively with x52, but can not find way how to do it for THW. And I'm missing it badly...

I have different target-profiles for different planes, but sometimes I do not know in advance, which plane I'm going to fly (depends on which is free on dcs-server). The only way I found is to Alt+Tab out of DCS, switch to Target, reload new profile, and go back to DCS. Unfortunatelly, this Alt+Tab switching sometimes causes DCS to crash...

Well, as this is "THW vs X52" topic, I dare to "steal" it (but only a little) and ask:

Is there any possibility to change THW target-profile in game (i.e. using some hotkey)? I have used this extensively with x52, but can not find way how to do it for THW. And I'm missing it badly...

I have different target-profiles for different planes, but sometimes I do not know in advance, which plane I'm going to fly (depends on which is free on dcs-server). The only way I found is to Alt+Tab out of DCS, switch to Target, reload new profile, and go back to DCS. Unfortunatelly, this Alt+Tab switching sometimes causes DCS to crash...

hi

so you have the t.h.warthog, how is it comparing to the x52 or x52pro?

i havent got one yet not sure to dive into warthog or x52 pro, my main issue is the switch controls which on is more flexible?

Mr.TOX

hi

so you have the t.h.warthog, how is it comparing to the x52 or x52pro?

i havent got one yet not sure to dive into warthog or x52 pro, my main issue is the switch controls which on is more flexible?

I have both TH-Warthog and x52(pro&non-pro). Some time ago I wrote review for our squad's web and tried to compare them, but I gave it up. Honestly, they are uncomparable. TH/Warthog and TH/Cougar are class of their own. What you can eventually compare is price/value ratio, where x52(pro) might be tight winner (for ~1/3 price of THW you get imho more than 1/3 value of THW). In all other aspects THW is better (handling, stability, programming, look&feel, durability, material, etc). The only thing I'm missing is possibility to switch profiles in game, as I mentioned previously...

I do not say x52(pro) is bad! But if you put it on the table, next to TH/Warthog, difference is obvious. I used x52 for years and was satisfied. But now, after having TH/Warthog for ~2 years I would not like to go back to x52. If you mean it with flight-sims seriously and can afford it, go for THW...

I have both TH-Warthog and x52(pro&non-pro). Some time ago I wrote review for our squad's web and tried to compare them, but I gave it up. Honestly, they are uncomparable. TH/Warthog and TH/Cougar are class of their own. What you can eventually compare is price/value ratio, where x52(pro) might be tight winner (for ~1/3 price of THW you get imho more than 1/3 value of THW). In all other aspects THW is better (handling, stability, programming, look&feel, durability, material, etc). The only thing I'm missing is possibility to switch profiles in game, as I mentioned previously...

I do not say x52(pro) is bad! But if you put it on the table, next to TH/Warthog, difference is obvious. I used x52 for years and was satisfied. But now, after having TH/Warthog for ~2 years I would not like to go back to x52. If you mean it with flight-sims seriously and can afford it, go for THW...

Thank you for your great info, i will def. consider thw to x52 pro.

Mr.TOX

Just saying: I want to upgrade from my x52pro to the TM Warthog... so if there is someone wanting a used X2 Pro you can PM me. I live in germany, but international shippment will surely be possible.

PC: Asus P8Z77-M Mainboard; Intel i5-3570K (4x3,4Ghz) mit Scythe Mugen 3 CPU Kühler; 16Gb Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz; Nvidia GTX570 1280mb; Samsung 830 SSD; Samsung HDD

Flight Sim Gear: TM Warthog; Saitek Pro Pedals; TM Cougars on an 19" screen; TrackIR 5 w/ trackclip pro; Logitech G35 headset

idk

mine is: M094400935 and I had no problems with it.

edit: Is there something like a tradehouse here?

PC: Asus P8Z77-M Mainboard; Intel i5-3570K (4x3,4Ghz) mit Scythe Mugen 3 CPU Kühler; 16Gb Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz; Nvidia GTX570 1280mb; Samsung 830 SSD; Samsung HDD

Flight Sim Gear: TM Warthog; Saitek Pro Pedals; TM Cougars on an 19" screen; TrackIR 5 w/ trackclip pro; Logitech G35 headset

Manuel...the serial is printed on the throttle unit in the front..its engraved on a metal plaque.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Having x52 I would advice anyone to stretch for Warthog unless you are keen to having your stick repaired when it brokes and x52 does break quite easily. Depending on your warranty you can get your x52 replaced but if the shop doesnt have any on stock you may have to wait long time while they order one. If you dont have warranty then you have to and can modify your x52 to take more "abuse" aka normal gaming.

If you are wondering what gets broken on x52; Most times it is just the cable connection between stick and throttle coming loose. This is not a small problem as if you loose the connection mid flight for fraction of an second, the stick calibration centter will be the position you held your stick when the connection comes back. Good luck flying online...

Second problem you might encounter with x52; A cable inside the stick becomes loose: You might loose one of your axels mid flight. Hope your warranty is still on while this happens. Luckily I still had my warranty on.

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys,

I need to buy a joystick for fsx and some jetfighters but i am not sure which one to get thrustmaster hotas warthog or saitek x52 pro?

can you guys who uses these 2 units give me some feedback on using these 2 joysticks in FSX, which one is more suitable?

thanks

you do know that comparing the X52 and the warthog is like comparing apples and oranges IMHO a more appropiate comparison is X65 and the warthog they both use a similar technology (TM has opted for allowing some movement of the actual stick) are quite similar in price (at least where I live), but the x65 is more expandable (MFDs, radio control etc...) the X52 pro is NOT in the pro-flight range for a reason.

Computer HW:

CPU: i7-5930K; RAM: 32GB DDR4;GPU: 2xAsus GTX-980Ti; MotherBoard: Asus Rampage VI Extreme; Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II; Monitor: Samsung 34" S34E790C; Headphones Thurtle Beach

Controler HW:

HOTAS #1: Thrustmaster Warthog; HOTAS #2: Saitek X-65F (The best!); HOTAS #3: Saitek X-52 Pro; Pedals: MFG Crosswind

Keyboard: Saitek S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 + Logitech G-13

MFD: ThrustMaster Cougar MFD's

Mouse: Logitech G-700

Oculus Rift: CV1

Just to chime in a little. I'm really starting to dislike my X52 pro more and more. I've had it about 18 months and its been a pain in the neck frankly. The wire connectors come loose at the slightest wiggle, which tends to throw off the settings somehow and everything goes wappy or just refuses to work, this also regularly caused blue screens on my old pc although I'm yet to see that happen on my new windows 7 rig. I don't like the swivel rudder, I find myself accidentally using the rudder while turning, especially with the P-51 which has been significantly desensitized by me already and had an 40% dead zone added. Its a big, comfortable, good looking stick but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired and the software bugs can drive anyone to tears at times. I'm saving for a hog myself, IL stick to that plan unless thrustmaster release an F-15 or F-18 alternative...

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]