Which module to start off?

Howdy folks,

I'm sure this question comes up from time to the but I couldn't find any, so here it is.

I've been wanting to get into simming for quite some time and only recently got myself a TrackIR 5 and a simple joystick to give it a go. I'm a bit lost as to which module I should start off with and am hoping for some pointers here.

Where would be a good place to start learning the instruments, weapon systems, navigation, etc ? I don't really have a preference; I flew a bit IL2 back when it was first released, F22 and EF2000 WAY back in the day, so modern, mid or ww2 are all on the table.

Do any of them have great tutorials perhaps?

Edited by tacky_taco

Assuming you aren't interested in the Flaming Cliffs planes (which automate navigation and such), I would recommend either the MiG-21Bis or Ka-50 (Blackshark 2) as your first module. Both aircraft are relatively simple, have ample tutorials available and well made campaigns. The A-10C also has loads of content, including tutorials, but is far more complicated than the other two.

I advise against the two trainer modules as they are currently using the simple flight model used by the AI. The WW2 and Korean war fighters also leave a bit to be desired. This is due to a lack of content for them though the aircraft themselves can be fun to fly and are easy to learn.

Howdy folks,

I'm sure this question comes up from time to the but I couldn't find any, so here it is.

I've been wanting to get into simming for quite some time and only recently got myself a TrackIR 5 and a simple joystick to give it a go. I'm a bit lost as to which module I should start off with and am hoping for some pointers here.

Where would be a good place to start learning the instruments, weapon systems, navigation, etc ? I don't really have a preference; I flew a bit IL2 back when it was first released, F22 and EF2000 WAY back in the day, so modern, mid or ww2 are all on the table.

Do any of them have great tutorials perhaps?

There is the rather nice Su-25T already included, which makes the fun steps of initial learning all those simulator flight bits very economical, i.e. free.

The Su-25T has an incredible amount of user support as well, lots of 'how-to's' sprinkled about pretty much everywhere you search for DCS videos.

In fact, that is how I did this whole DCS thing; got my feet wet with the Sue, and bought various models after that.

You'll pretty quickly see what level of complexity will suit you that way.

flaming cliffs 3 and su 25T at first..so that was my learning curve...after that you come more in depth. my opinion is this... and there is a whole lot to learn. i am now a year on dcs, :smartass:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yeah - I say just work within the free set to get comfortable - the TF51 will give you an idea how a clickable pit and cold start switchology feels to you while the su25t will give you a taste of fc3 level sim and the modern weapons systems without the complexity of the switches to access/set things up

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Hi newb - welcome to DCS world - start with the free Su-25T - it will reveal to you the environment & spirit of the sim.

Embrace the 3 P's : Patience - Persistence - Progress

Respect & Honor

Good Luck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

Woo sales! I bought a few:

http://i.imgur.com/0TLpfgn.png

Seems like the su25t got quite a few votes, so I think I'll start there and work my way up. Though, if there are any other *musthave* modules I should get while the sale is going no, let me know!

Oh, and I should have specified in the first post that helos are not really on my list just yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

" I should have specified in the first post that helos are not really on my list just yet"

well first of all, advice here are quite good.

but I must say, I came in DCS with a stupid " warbird only" rule.

now I have them all and quite happy with all.

My most played and best loved module (best surprise) is now an Heli called Mi-8.

but a bit hard to begin...

so ...

HAVE FUN !

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Woo sales! I bought a few:

http://i.imgur.com/0TLpfgn.png

Seems like the su25t got quite a few votes, so I think I'll start there and work my way up. Though, if there are any other *musthave* modules I should get while the sale is going no, let me know!

Oh, and I should have specified in the first post that helos are not really on my list just yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Ya, that should keep you busy for a few days.:lol:

0TLpfgn.png

did you buy the mustang twice?

PS:

have fun breaking those warbirds on takeoff/landing ;) we all had our share of it :D

PPS:

make sure to disable rudderassist in options for those.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

hehe, nice move, but next time you might just let him try the TF-51D, same aircraft without weapons and for free, good thing to try and see if one likey it ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Go Ugly, Early (Hawg) or go home! Everything else is trying to surpass the standard set by the A-10C. IMHO, so far, nothing else comes close. The MiG-21 is a distant second and the Hawk one day, may inch past the Fishpot. The Hawg will prep you for DCS F-18 ... that is when the real fun begins! ;)

• Like 1

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hawg is pretty extreme, lots of fun but takes a lot of practice before you can effectively prosecute a target. Guess that's why it's the most addictive!

As Mango said, addictive! Love my Hog, ED could double the price and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again... but it is a steal during the sale... get it, park it and get to it later, or dive in!

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

FC3 modules won't teach you anything if you want to learn how to fly properly.

The F-86 is one of the easiest modules to learn. I would pick that if you like jets. If you prefer prop planes, the P-51D (or the TF-51D, which is free) is a good pick.

Edited by Charly_Owl

FC3 modules won't teach you anything if you want to learn how to fly properly.

The F-86 is one of the easiest modules to learn. I would pick that if you like jets. If you prefer prop planes, the P-51D (or the TF-51D, which is free) is a good pick.

I couldn't disagree with your FC3 statement more. I started there and learned a ton of stuff before moving onto the more complex aircraft. AA combat is far more difficult to learn and the radar, although simple, will give a very good starting point for anybody.

The F-86, although easy to fly is one of the hardest to learn how to dogfight in. Its a massive energy fight with that one to do it properly and effectively.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet