Arduino pro micro or Leo Bonar BB-64

I used a couple of Bodnar BBI-32 to build two button boxes, they are very easy to use and program, no flashing or soldering, basically plug and play

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

With Bodnar BBI-32, can I use a matrix wiring?

Marc..

https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/

This might help you out.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

With Bodnar BBI-32, can I use a matrix wiring?

Is not needed, since BBI's has individual input for every supported button (up to 32 or 64).

If your device assembly already include diode matrix use BU0836A, support up to 36 buttons (including POV HAT connections) or 16 encoders.

But in "2 minutes" you flash MMjoy2 firmware in ~$ Arduino PRO Micro (16 Mhz, 5v). ;)

Then get BU0836A or similar (6x6 digital input pins = 36 buttons). BU0836A 36 buttons is sufficient for your project?

But BBI32 has 2 pins for each of supported 32 buttons, what means 32 pairs of wires.

You can wire this 32 buttons using 33 wires, using one common (GND) for all buttons.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Then get BU0836A or similar (6x6 digital input pins = 36 buttons). BU0836A 36 buttons is sufficient for your project?

But BBI32 has 2 pins for each of supported 32 buttons, what means 32 pairs of wires.

You can wire this 32 buttons using 33 wires, using one common (GND) for all buttons.

Actually I need to wire the ole front panel of a harrier so I would probably need 3 BUO836A to connect a character lcd display, a couple of 4 digit 7 segment display, 12 encoders, 2 potentiometre, 50 switches and warning lights

There are so many option, I'm also restricted in space,I would like to seperate the front panel in 3 section

Marc..

Actually I need to wire the ole front panel of a harrier so I would probably need 3 BUO836A to connect a character lcd display, a couple of 4 digit 7 segment display, 12 encoders, 2 potentiometre, 50 switches and warning lights

There are so many option, I'm also restricted in space,I would like to seperate the front panel in 3 section

Marc..

Man it sounds like you're going to have a challenging project, enjoy!

Edited by Outlaw24

Spoiler:

...BUO836A to connect a character lcd display, a couple of 4 digit 7 segment display,

But BU0836 has no output for LCD and displays, neither RGD LED's, is just a input (axes and buttons) controller.

For this you will need Arduino with DCS BIOS or another I/O card.

Is there a config app to use with the bodnar boards or do you just use the DCS config directly? :)

I think it´s a direct DCS binding because the boards buttons and axis are already recognized.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Is there a config app to use with the bodnar boards or do you just use the DCS config directly? :)

Bodnar controllers is "PnP" for Windows - use Windows native HID drivers.

You can assign their buttons, axes... direct in DCS (or other game) controls GUI.

Or use through keyboard emulation (press DX buttons to press keyboards keys), with 3rd part keymapper software like JoyToKey, Xpadder, Joystick Gremlin...

Edited by Sokol1_br

If one wants to make a simple controller that is just buttons, switches, axis and rotaries, then the Bodnar is the simplest way to go. And likely cheapest as well, because you save a lot of time that you spend for firmware flashing, soldering etc.

You spend more time placing the buttons and other elements on the wanted board/box etc than fiddling with the controller itself. Considering that you pay about 25€ extra for the Bodnar than for Arduino, there is no reason to go Arduino if you are just using example 2-3 of those boards to make full panels.

BUT, once you come to situation where you need a LED lights and small text screens etc, then it is time to invest for Arduino and start programming.

Like example, someone wants to make a custom made a radar stick for Viggen? Bodnar is your answer. A make a whole helicopter collective? Bodnar is the answer.

Make a simple DCU without display? Bodnar....

A UFC with a displays? Arduino.

A button board with LED's in them? Arduino.

The simplest Bodnar board is that you insert a button/switch cables to the connectors and that is it. It works when you connect USB cable. So the real challenge is just to get the buttons, switches etc as wanted, get the mounted on the box/board by drilling some holes and then connecting cables and be done...

Is the 25€ extra worth of all that? YES.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Full disclosure, I have not used the Bodnar boards, but if you any interest in learning about micro-controllers and simple coding, I would recommend the Arduino. I would also suggest you start off with something simple like this great HID joystick library by Mathew Heironimus to get down the basic concepts.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Create-a-Joystick-Using-the-Arduino-Joystick-Libra/

https://github.com/MHeironimus/ArduinoJoystickLibrary

Once you get the basics, you can do anything with these boards, and you do not need the Arduino boot-loader on them if you decide to go with something like Atmels AVR studio.

The pro micro is great and uses the 32U4 chip with native USB HID support. Its a good place to start because of the sheer amount of information and libraries available for it. Think of libraries as specifically grouped task related to a certain functionality you would like to achieve with your micro-controller. After you include the library, you are able to add shortcut commands to execute more complex task.

You can move to the SAMD21 used on the Arduino Zero for more advanced future projects requiring more speed and memory.

Good luck,

Miles

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg