F14 Difficulty Single Player

CBenson89

Hey All,

How hard is the f14 to fly with Jester now that it’s been out for a year? If I’m trying to dogfight or drop bombs how easy is that to do when you constantly have to interact with jester in the backseat? I love the F-14 it’s an amazing aircraft but I just want to know what the ceiling is if you don’t have a human in the backseat. Thank you for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester allows for more than basic control imho.

Though a human rio is preferable. It takes some time to configure jester for a bomb drop compared to a human but it's perfectly doable. In single player you can do it yourself anyway.

Self designate does not work with jester yet but is supposed to come. For dog dogfights, jester is not really needed since you can control the radar with your hotas in wvr situations. Just go for it. The 14 is one of the best modules you can get.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

IMHO, HBs F-14 is a fantastic plane to fly in SP, however:

* I haven't noticed Jester improve much since release.

* In BFM: Ignore Jester, his calls are either delayed or just wrong most of the time - I wish I could figure out what plane of reference he is using!

* In BVR: hard work - you have to either try and manage the radar via theJester wheel or via VoiceComms, both of which are too slow in a multi-target environment, even SP. Iv1 BVR is great, except that Jester will invariably lose lock at around 20 miles - a critical distance :(

* In AAR switch him off!

Hopefully, TWS-Auto will improve the BVR multi-target use sometime 'soon'.

You really need a good human RIO to get the most from the F-14 and they are as rare as the Tomcat 21!

I and many others have successfully completed multitude of SP missions (A2A, A2G) and campaigns with Jester alone. That speaks for itself.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I think managing the radar with Jester is hard work in the beginning, especially in a PVP environment. The rest is fairly straight forward.

However, you can become really quick with the Jester wheel as you start remembering the position of the menus. As said above, it will be a lot easier when we will be getting TWS A.

It's less workload with him against the AI.

Edited by Panther 976

Having Jester adjust radar scan ranges isn't intuitive but it gets the job done. I play exclusively single player. Maybe one day I'll take the time to go online and have some fun with others but my kids are always barreling through the house so I dunno. Point being, I have tons of fun with the F-14 in single player in the campaigns and missions etc.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Me too, I love flying the F-14, (a) because its an awesome plane, (b) because its a challenge to fly and © because HB have done such a fantastic job with it. I fly it it almost exclusively. But, at the moment, there are some not insignificant issues, some within HB's control and some with ED. I've been playing since LO days and I am 100% sure both will continue to improve the product - like all things in DCS, it takes a loooong time!