SoftTH NEWS

Thanks Kegetys for the program and to PeterP for all your help keeping things sorted out here in the forums.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a head's up. I saw this petition yesterday:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dDJVT2RIZ250TDNkYTVxU0VDdFo4c3c6MQ

The person doing the petition is Darkfiber. He frequents the RSI forums. Not sure where else he frequents. This was originally brought up over there.

Edited by BHawthorne
Edited for clarity

Had a look but one question. Who are they partitioning?

At the moment Immersaview. If Immersaview doesn't bite, I guess they'll try someone else. I let Alex know about it and they're pondering it though. The person running the petition is Darkfiber. He's on the RSI and WSGF forums. Not sure where else he frequents.

If Immersaview does do a utility I'm hoping for interoperability with Nthusim Plus and Immersaview Warp utilities.

Edited by BHawthorne

I've been in contact with one of the Co-Directors and the lead programmer for Immersaview. They've reviewed the SoftTH codebase. They said they're receptive to doing a new utility with better functionality and GUI but it would be scratch coded and not from the SoftTH codebase.

Those of you interested in a new utility it would be useful to post a feature wishlist here and I can forward it to the powers that be at Immersaview.

Edited by BHawthorne
Edited for clarity

The whole reason why I posted at all is I want to see an actively developed utility that will work good with all DX pipelines. To me that is really important. I find it important that if Immersaview does do something that everyone around here is properly accommodated as far as feature requirements too.

Edited by BHawthorne

This is indeed great news! I've been using SoftTH for some time now and it is definitively a really nice thing to have, never fly without it these days. But when EDGE comes, we might face some problems (DX10/11).

Features I would dream of (really dreaming, don't know if the things I list below are entirely possible):

1.) DX10 and DX11 support

2.) Taking full advantage of PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth (afaik nVidia drivers only do 2.0 at the moment)

3.) Being able to use a SLI/Crossfire phalanx of graphics cards as the rendering device and being able to connect the screens in a more or less random fashion. E.g. running a 3-SLI rig where all the screens are connected to the first card (which is against nVidias own setup guides, I know).

4.) Synchronous Vsync across all screens

5.) No (or little) performance drop when rendering on discrete card(s) but outputting via onboard VGA

6.) Perhaps even mixing GPUs even against vendor guidelines (like this Lucidlogix thingie that can use AMD and nVidia GPUs in Crossfire/SLI with each other if I remember correctly)

7.) Perhaps hook in via the graphics driver itself instead of patching game DirectX DLLs

8.) Profile Manager/GUI with pre-set profiles for titles, perhaps the community can help with that by giving them the opportunity to upload profiles via the GUI to Immersaview

If the guys at Immersaview ask themselves what people would pay, I'd be perfectly content with paying up to 100 USD for a tool that delivers all of the above (if technically possible of course). After all, this seems to be no small task and Kegetys should continue to receive donations for all the groundwork he's done. But we need to make Immersaview aware of the possible economic viability of this. A SoftTH that can do the things stated above would also be tremendously nice for professional simulator building, so the big bucks could be made in this field.

Thales, CAE and all the other bigwigs in professional simulation would pay big bucks for that I suppose as framerate tests under a whole load of scenarios are actually required by law to get simulators certified for training. Not an easy feat given the need to drive a lot of displays at once, although they are lucky enough to have networked visuals. But removing the need for multiple rendering machines and being able to put it all in one rig would make the architecture much more simple and cost-effective.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Here is my "ideal feature list"

* High Performance

* Easy to use GUI

* Support for separate refresh rate per screen

* Src/Target rectangle support just like SoftTH

* Allow multiple target rectangles per monitor

* Support "interlaced" updates of destination target areas (ex: Setup the CDU to only update at 2 frames per second to the target display)

* Support scaling of dest to target rectangle

* Profile switching via Hot Key. All DCS World aircraft share the same exe and it would be nice to switch config via hot key instead of having to exit game and change config.

* Plug-in API which would allow rendering directly to target monitors via a DirectX surface. I would love to write the Helios rendering engine as a plug-in to this.

If the guys at Immersaview ask themselves what people would pay, I'd be perfectly content with paying up to 100 USD for a tool that delivers all of the above (if technically possible of course). After all, this seems to be no small task and Kegetys should continue to receive donations for all the groundwork he's done. But we need to make Immersaview aware of the possible economic viability of this. A SoftTH that can do the things stated above would also be tremendously nice for professional simulator building, so the big bucks could be made in this field.

I'd go along with that as long as a less-featured version was available for free or cheap like £5.

For those of us using only a single-GPU, half those features are of no interest so whilst it seems reasonable to ask professional cockpit builders (and those who can afford multi-GPU and monitor systems) to pay more, I wouldn't want to see those of us with only a single-GPU and two cheap monitors who can currently use SoftTH and Helios marginalised, otherwise we might be stuck using the current DX9 BS2 and unable to upgrade to the DX10/Edge version.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I would pay for new softth if its price stays within reason, similar to dcs module maybe.

perhaps off topic but more importantly:

Here is my "ideal feature list"

* High Performance

* Easy to use GUI

* Support for separate refresh rate per screen

* Src/Target rectangle support just like SoftTH

* Allow multiple target rectangles per monitor

* Support "interlaced" updates of destination target areas (ex: Setup the CDU to only update at 2 frames per second to the target display)

* Support scaling of dest to target rectangle

* Profile switching via Hot Key. All DCS World aircraft share the same exe and it would be nice to switch config via hot key instead of having to exit game and change config.

* Plug-in API which would allow rendering directly to target monitors via a DirectX surface. I would love to write the Helios rendering engine as a plug-in to this.

Much more then softth I'm waiting for Helios 2. From your initial feature estimation the 3d rendered instrumentation and network capability is all I need to hear. I strongly believe this kind of effort should be compensated. Perhaps kickstating a funding run and gathering you a certain sum will be enticing you to go through with this? I'd like to say I'd be your first customer but chances are i will be run over by dcs mob rushing the ticket booth.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Sure, point is I'd love to see that everybody can fully use the hardware at his disposal. Perhaps the price model can be adjusted by using a tiered model with more and more features in the more pricey editions. If 5 pounds for a basic edition is realistic I can't say, I think it isn't, I'd say about 15 pounds upwards would be realistic, but take this with a grain of salt.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 1 month later...
OK - I see where your confusion is coming from -

I want you to forget everything you learned by using the configuration tool .

It is limited to use only the screen-layout that your desktop properties is using.

You have to think out side the box to get a optimized screen setting and edit the softth config via a editor to get the most out of SoftTh for your purpose.

This is the config.SoftTHconfig that you will have to use for a DCS 7680x1080 setting :

This config above is without any Bezel-management

here is a example how a config looks if you add 100px between the screens that are showing your camera view-port - please take notice that the resolution is now +200 pixels horizontal and I marked manual edits in bold:

Just want to say thanks for all your guides and work on the forum. It's been a very confusing 2 days trying to figure out how to run DCS in full screen while getting Helios to show up on top. Windowed mode FPS is too slow to play. Maybe this should be stickied or something, haha.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of showtime817th, who is getting his brand new system up and running. We are having trouble with trying to use SoftTH.

• He installed DCS World to the default C:\Program Files location.
  • I sent him my copy of SoftTH "SoftTH208balpha_x64.zip". He placed "d3d9.dll" in the DCS\bin folder.
  • He gets an error message saying he can't create the config file and DCS doesn't start. No softTH config file is created.

I guess I assumed he has 64 bit and I will have to check with that when he gets off work, so that is step one. This is the softTH file I am using and I have 64 bit Win7 and DCS World (but I am installed to another drive), it all works fine for me.

Could this be caused by a Permissions issue or possibly try the 32 bit SoftTH version?

Looking for ideas.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Thanks for the feedback!

I just started

writing an answer for trouble-shooting....

My last sentence would be something like this:

Just use the configuration tool and /or write your own config.

Edit:

First : I don't want to imply anything - just telling what I know:

A not Up-to date/corrupt .Net install may be the cause that Softth can't create a config . (.Net Framework is normally integrated in Win7)

This happens often on Win7 version that are downloaded from a dubious source .

...I had many PM's dealing with the same issue in the past. - and some 'confessed' after i asked them where their win verison comes from.

After they updated .Net they had no problem with Softth.

Edited by PeterP

It is starting to sink in, Peter! :thumbup:

Oh, while I am at it...

When we put SoftTH in, it redirected two of his monitors and moved his ABRIS and Shkval.

This happened, I think, because I had DevID and Head ID # match. (ie. monitor 1,2,3,4 on desktop.)

Showtime817th's monitors go:

I have tried editing his config file to match. He is away, but I hope it will fix it. The zip file contains the latest edit of this config file.

OT: I am learning just how hard it is for a newcomer to setup DCS, with Helios, SoftTh, lua edits, ect... I've been at it for years and take it for granted just how complicated this all is for some.

Edited by JG14_Smil

As I wrote: He should use the configuration tool (linked above and in the first post - not you ) - so you are absolute sure about the real Monitor ID's he is using.

I'm also not able to tell how to swap the Id's without sitting in front of his PC.

Here is a little helper : Let him create a config with the Configuration tool and let him also make pictures of his Windows-Desktop Properties.

Than you will be able to compare the file and the picture to know which monitor belongs to which ID.

Edited by PeterP

I did use it to edit and set non-local monitors. Will the tool create a config file on it's own?

As I wrote: He should use the configuration tool (linked above and in the first post - not you ) - so you are absolute sure about the real Monitor ID's he is using.

Yes, this is what we did. I'll have him try the tool if we can't get it today.

Here is a little helper : Let him create a config with the Configuration tool and let him also make pictures of his Windows-Desktop Properties.

Than you will be able to compare the file and the picture to know which monitor belongs to which ID.

OK, I have learned how the config tool creates a config file. Just double click it. It will create a config file in the same folder it is sitting in that will match the monitors and desktop. That is why he has to do it.

Edited by JG14_Smil

I had this posted in the problems / bugs section, but I wonder if this might be a better place to find some answers.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1694485#post1694485

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

Not that I noticed, but the white areas are always at the edges of the screen in periferal of the view.

Usually zoomed in view does not have white areas cause the field of view is so narrow.

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/