Summer sale advice

WildBillKelsoe

Hi,

Which is better of these to make use of during the sale.

1- Spitfire

2- AJS Viggen

3- Campaigns TTQ, ATTQ, Oil field, The Border? Relic? etc..

note: I do NOT have NTTR or Normandy.

So my emphasis is to really get one craft preferably without campaign, then shift focus to a campaign. BTW I really liked the Su-27 Ultimate Argument it is light years ahead of the vanilla campaign also for Su-27.

Also, why are there no campaigns for F-5E-3 in Caucasus? Why do I need to have to buy the BFM in Nevada?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Hard to compare those 2 totally different airframes, but there are some similarities:

Both are detailed, high quality addons.

Both Spitfire and Viggen are quite heavy on FPS, Spit has some optimization issues, Viggen probably because of high quality detailed cockpit.

Both are still in beta and haven't seen much updates in the recent months which is a bit worrying.

There's definitely more to do and more to learn with the Viggen, but it is designed for a very specific mission profile (hit&run) that may not be your style.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hard to compare those 2 totally different airframes, but there are some similarities:

Both are detailed, high quality addons.

Both Spitfire and Viggen are quite heavy on FPS, Spit has some optimization issues, Viggen probably because of high quality detailed cockpit.

Both are still in beta and haven't seen much updates in the recent months which is a bit worrying.

There's definitely more to do and more to learn with the Viggen, but it is designed for a very specific mission profile (hit&run) that may not be your style.

Aha! So the Viggen can not loiter like A-10s for example? No AAR capability?

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

No AAR, Sweden is not that big ;) It takes a lot of fuel internally, as long as you don't use afterburner zone 3.

The weapon system is designed to approach the target at low altitude, fire all the ordnance at one pass (two at most) and get the hell out of there. Not for CAS like the A-10.

For example:

- No internal gun, and gunpods are big & heavy.

- can't take mixed payload with one exception of guns and mavericks.

- can't drop single bomb or rocket, they always go in salvo.

But it has nice selection of guided munitions, A2G radar and of course very capable antiship weapons. :) It's an interesting airplane, unlike anything else that's currently in DCS.

Spitfire doesn't even have bombs implemented, at least not yet.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hi,

Which is better of these to make use of during the sale.

1- Spitfire

2- AJS Viggen

3- Campaigns TTQ, ATTQ, Oil field, The Border? Relic? etc..

note: I do NOT have NTTR or Normandy.

The Campaigns are not on sale, so I would concentrate on the aircrafts for now and get the Campaigns when they do are in Sale ... you will still need plenty of time with the training missions, then the single missions and, in the case of the Viggen, on the Forum is a mini-campaign made by ragnar-da (for free)

Also, the campaigns that you mentioned: none of them are for the Viggen or Spit ... I understand that soon ED will release one for the Spit (the user Bunyap is working on it), but it isnt available yet.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No AAR, Sweden is not that big ;) It takes a lot of fuel internally, as long as you don't use afterburner zone 3.

The weapon system is designed to approach the target at low altitude, fire all the ordnance at one pass (two at most) and get the hell out of there. Not for CAS like the A-10.

For example:

- No internal gun, and gunpods are big & heavy.

- can't take mixed payload with one exception of guns and mavericks.

- can't drop single bomb or rocket, they always go in salvo.

But it has nice selection of guided munitions, A2G radar and of course very capable antiship weapons. :) It's an interesting airplane, unlike anything else that's currently in DCS.

Spitfire doesn't even have bombs implemented, at least not yet.

Hmm.. tough choice, considering I enjoy CAS and tank busting.. OK, which of them would more likely work without problems? More finished so to speak.

The Campaigns are not on sale, so I would concentrate on the aircrafts for now and get the Campaigns when they do are in Sale ... you will still need plenty of time with the training missions, then the single missions and, in the case of the Viggen, on the Forum is a mini-campaign made by ragnar-da (for free)

Also, the campaigns that you mentioned: none of them are for the Viggen or Spit ... I understand that soon ED will release one for the Spit (the user Bunyap is working on it), but it isnt available yet.

Ah yes, Bunyap, he's been researching both Luftwaffe bases and apparently a RAF squadron. Great fellow.

Hmm.. tough choice, considering I enjoy CAS and tank busting.. OK, which of them would more likely work without problems? More finished so to speak.

Hard to say. Both are unfinished. Objectively, the spitfire is more "complete", being a simpler airframe, and made by ED themselves. I don't think there are any missing features apart from external stores and few little bugs. But it has the worst fps on my pc of all DCS airplanes and that awful prop effect that looks terrible and causes issues in VR. The issue has been reported on day 1 of the beta and still hasn't been fixed, so really I can't recommend it in the current state.

Viggen doesn't have such glaring issues like that, but many smaller quirks and unfinished items when you start to dig into its systems. It's a proper beta after all, and at the current development pace it will remain so for the rest of the year. For example the manual has half of the illustrations missing and hasn't been updated for half a year.

Hard to say. Both are unfinished. Objectively, the spitfire is more "complete", being a simpler airframe, and made by ED themselves. I don't think there are any missing features apart from external stores and few little bugs. But it has the worst fps on my pc of all DCS airplanes and that awful prop effect that looks terrible and causes issues in VR. The issue has been reported on day 1 of the beta and still hasn't been fixed, so really I can't recommend it in the current state.

Viggen doesn't have such glaring issues like that, but many smaller quirks and unfinished items when you start to dig into its systems. It's a proper beta after all, and at the current development pace it will remain so for the rest of the year. For example the manual has half of the illustrations missing and hasn't been updated for half a year.

Thank you for the summarised version. I think I'll get both while on sale and see which I like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the Viggen has more toys to play with but the Spitfire, does it have trim tabs like the P-51 for cruise hands off? Ail/Elev/Rud tabs for trimming?

Hey Wildbill,

The Spit has rudder and elevator trim only.

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Hey Wildbill,

The Spit has rudder and elevator trim only.

Br,

Mud

Thanks Mud. The Viggen does it have INS update points? a CDU or CADC?

The Viggen has its own navigation system that doesn't have an INS, but works similar. Yes, you can load the route from the editor or program waypoints manually.

The Viggen has its own navigation system that doesn't have an INS, but works similar. Yes, you can load the route from the editor or program waypoints manually.

some1, thank you. does it have a fuel consumption PPH meter? trim controls? Autopilot? I read that cluster munitions were configurable (others?), how configurable?

PPH I don't remember seeing one, Trim of course yes, autopilot too but a only a simple ATT/ALT hold. BK 90 cluster bomb is configurable, but probably the most bugged weapon right now.

I think you should scroll through Chuck's guide :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182709

thing is I dont want to spoil knowing systems unless I buy it, hence my thread

The Viggen is my favorite fixed wing aircraft in DCS, and second place isn't close. There are still some early access bugs, but Heatblur has created a masterpiece. With 1.5.7, any multiplayer showstopper bugs are fixed, and it's a joy to fly.

Granted, I like the strike mission a lot more than CAS, but I love the tactical employment of the Viggen. You plan ahead of time for a low level, high speed single pass, figure your route (including waypoints to update your navigation solution), and you can fly 50m off the deck at M.85 in mil power using the trim hat to perform standard rate turns with autopilot enabled. The ground radar is also awesome, and with 1.5.7 you can now make out forests. No making out cities yet in 1.5.7 (currently only in Normandy), but we should probably expect that with the merge.

EDIT: If this looks like fun, you'll enjoy the Viggen

Edited by Home Fries

I have all the aircraft and terrain except for the Viggen and Hawk and am considering one or both.

The Viggen looks interesting.

Any thoughts on the Hawk?

Pro's and cons for either?

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Don't buy the Hawk until the devs fix it for good.

I'm always on the fence about the Hawk. I want so badly to like this AC but it's been plagued with so many issues. It's really a shame because VEAO has got a lot of trust earning to do as far as I am concerned. I'm not apt to shell out any more money for their modules until I start hearing more positive feedback on their releases. I usually don't pay much attention to stuff like that but in the Hawk's case.....It was pretty much 90% true.

On the plus side, it is fun and easy to fly. I just cannot take it very seriously at this point in time. They fixed a few very important issues for 1.5 but those patches have yet to make their way to 2.1.

But for now....I would have to side with the above.

From a Hawk owner, await ironed out product before committing. Get the Bolt. WBK out. pffft

Thanks all. Seems like you're all in agreement. I'll get the Viggen and hold off until this Hawk is better squared away.

I'm always on the fence about the Hawk. I want so badly to like this AC but it's been plagued with so many issues. It's really a shame because VEAO has got a lot of trust earning to do as far as I am concerned. I'm not apt to shell out any more money for their modules until I start hearing more positive feedback on their releases. I usually don't pay much attention to stuff like that but in the Hawk's case.....It was pretty much 90% true.

On the plus side, it is fun and easy to fly. I just cannot take it very seriously at this point in time. They fixed a few very important issues for 1.5 but those patches have yet to make their way to 2.1.

But for now....I would have to side with the above.

From a Hawk owner, await ironed out product before committing. Get the Bolt. WBK out. pffft

I also own the Hawk , such buyers remorse

I woiuld wait

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT