Transfering from steam to standalon

Atooyi

Hi every one.

One of my squad members decided to switch to standalone version of DCS, not to mention that he used to be on the steam version.

And my curious to know if it's possible to change the steam installed DCS into standalone without downloading another 14Gb?

Thank you every one

Never done something like that, but If I had to, I would try:

a) starting the standalone version installer (so that it creates the folders, shortcuts, registry entries etc.) and letting it download some initial files;

b) then stopping it, moving all files from the Steam folder to the new standalone folder;

c) running a "repair" of the standalone copy. I think updater should detect all the files moved there previously, "thinking" that they were installed in a traditional way, downloading and fixing only a few if needed. That should save lots of time and internet bandwidth.

The only thing I don't know is where the Steam version keeps the activation data, so Your friend might need to deactivate all modules on "old" copy and reactivate them on "new" one.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Never done something like that, but If I had to, I would try:

a) starting the standalone version installer (so that it creates the folders, shortcuts, registry entries etc.) and letting it download some initial files;

b) then stopping it, moving all files from the Steam folder to the new standalone folder;

c) running a "repair" of the standalone copy. I think updater should detect all the files moved there previously, "thinking" that they were installed in a traditional way, downloading and fixing only a few if needed. That should save lots of time and internet bandwidth.

Pretty much this.

The main file your friend will need is

• DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe

to run a repair

• DCS_Updater.exe repair

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Note: AFAIK the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Path will be missing, so installing secondary open alpha/beta installs will not search for files in the release install first unless the path key(s) are created manually.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2589823&postcount=2

The only thing I don't know is where the Steam version keeps the activation data, so Your friend might need to deactivate all modules on "old" copy and reactivate them on "new" one.

Steam and Standalone versions use the same activation data so there is no need to deactivate (Standalone and Steam versions will run 'side by side').

Hardware changes or switching MiG-21 versions between 1.2.16 and 1.5 will trigger an activation request(s) but would unrelated to switching from Steam.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I have the same question, but the proposed solution is a bit too hard for my skill.

Actually I own DCS World 1.5 Steam stable version (Caucasus) and DCS World 2 Open Alpha standalone (Nevada)

UH 1H module bought standalone with Nevada do not works on Steam 1.5 version.

Then I ask can I download DCS World 1.5 standalone also to get Viggen (not yet on Steam) available on Caucasus, and when satisfied that everything works uninstall Steam version?

Thanks

Edited by 22GCT_Aquila