Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

The FARP is a bit more thatn that. Especially with nimble frontline tank killers like the Gazelle and the Bo-105 in mind it would be great to have the option to just place some ammo/fuel trucks somewhere on the map and be able to refuel from them near the frontline. That's how they operated during the Cold War. You can see such a frontline rearming at the beginning of this Bo-105 video (it's in german, but the pictures speak for themselves):

I know it's way OT, but here are some documents on using FARPs [Forward Arming Refueling Point(s)]

U.S Marines setting up a FARP

[ame]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-04-104/fm3-04-104.pdf[/ame]

[ame]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/usmc/mcwp/3-21-1/ch7.pdf[/ame]

Back OT: the original Allied airfields in Normandy were FARPs, because (for example) Typhoon units could operate from them during the day, then fly back to British bases overnight - particularly when German artillery was still within range. :pilotfly:

I believe many of the ALGs in Normandy were more than a FARP as it is used today. It typically took a battalion of engineers several days to create one and many included repair facilities and billeting.

This link details the particulars.

http://www.ixengineercommand.com/history/tm5-255/tm5-255-chap09.php

ALG-1 Saint-Pierre-du-Mont is a good example and I hope we get to see it:

- It was pressed into service as Emergency Landing Strip 1 (ELS A-1) with a 1000x35m/3400x120ft untracked (grass/dirt) runway. It served only small observation aircraft at that time.

- Just over 24 hours later (18:45) it had been upgraded from a Refuelling and Rearming Strip (RRS A-1) to an Advanced Landing Ground (ALG A-1), able to handle aircraft up to the C-47 transport.

- From 10 June 1944 an RAF Ames Type 15 GCI radar site became active at the airfield, the only survivor of three that were accidentally sent to the Normandy beaches on D-Day, instead of D-Day+3 of the invasion. An unknown P-38 unit began using the airfield on 11 June.

- On 17 June, TAC 366th Fighter Group arrived from Thruxton, UK, flying P-47s.

They were the first USAAF unit to move to continental Europe, and were joined by 401st Fighter Group. Last to move into the airfield was 390FS on 20 June.

It also housed the 2nd Platoon of the 1st Air Force Clearing Station, which had landed at Omaha Beach on 16 June. The medical unit set up a field hospital just off base, which by that time would still occasionally receive incoming enemy fire, as the front line was not far away. The platoon consisted of 4 Medical Officers, 1 Dental Officer, 1 Medical Administrative Officer, 6 (female) Nurses, and 57 Enlisted Men.

- 366 and 401 FG remained at the airfield until 5 Sep 1944.

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

- From 10 June 1944 an RAF Ames Type 15 GCI radar site became active at the airfield, the only survivor of three that were accidentally sent to the Normandy beaches on D-Day, instead of D-Day+3 of the invasion. An unknown P-38 unit began using the airfield on 11 June.

Type 15 GCI radar data:

http://www.radarpages.co.uk/mob/gci/type15.htm

http://www.radarpages.co.uk/mob/rotor/type15.htm

Radar ships over Normandy

[ame]http://www.rquirk.com/cdnradar/cor/chapter11.pdf[/ame]

It also housed the 2nd Platoon of the 1st Air Force Clearing Station, which had landed at Omaha Beach on 16 June. The medical unit set up a field hospital just off base, which by that time would still occasionally receive incoming enemy fire, as the front line was not far away. The platoon consisted of 4 Medical Officers, 1 Dental Officer, 1 Medical Administrative Officer, 6 (female) Nurses, and 57 Enlisted Men.

- 366 and 401 FG remained at the airfield until 5 Sep 1944.

[/font]

Some info

https://www.med-dept.com/unit-histories/7th-field-hospital/

and Field Manual

[ame]https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/FM/PDFs/FM8-5.pdf[/ame]

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Yup, unprepared runways are available in NTTR right now, we just dont have have placeable equipment for refuelling and rearming.

:huh: Where can I find one? Do you have coordinates?

Now we are talking about this feature like a part of DCS, not just Normandy only.

But I'm not sure that we'll have more than grass/unpaved airfields for a start.

Sounds very good and would be enough for the beginning. :thumbup:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
:huh: Where can I find one? Do you have coordinates?

There is on at Groom Lake you can try, should be in the version you guys have, all still a WIP. A number of them were to be set to a terrain type you can land at, but they dont kick up dust yet I think, and you can only land, then take off, dont think you can place an aircraft any way there.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear ED-Team,

with the last screenshot I realized once again, that you like to drift to make too bright trees. As it was also the case on caucasus map. Thanks to modders for their effort to fix that.

Just have a look on this screenshot

attachment.php?attachmentid=138157&d=1460111346

compared to Google Maps or any other photo.

www.google.co.in/maps/place/Normandie,+Frankreich/@49.2794422,-0.2578459,89a,20y,246.05h,81.88t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47e1bd6c23f8c087:0x26f2f1561148e202

The Trees are darker than the ground. Much darker.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Dead ED-Team,

with the last screenshot I realized once again, that you like to drift to make too bright trees. As it was also the case on caucasus map. Thanks to modders for their effort to fix that.

The Trees are darker than the ground. Much darker.

If the depicted season is spring, why would they need to make much darker trees? I'm looking at trees through my window as I'm writing this and nothing seems wrong here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the depicted season is spring, why would they need to make much darker trees? I'm looking at trees through my window as I'm writing this and nothing seems wrong here.

Its not about the color of the leaf itself. Its about the structure of trees. This is hard to describe to me, but I try. The leaf is located in a way, that the entire tree absorbs more light, than an area of grass. The leaf shadows itself. If you compare the color of a single leaf with a single culm, there is no big difference. But a entire tree is definitely darker than grass.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Its not about the color of the leaf itself. Its about the structure of trees. This is hard to describe to me, but I try. The leaf is located in a way, that the entire tree absorbs more light, than a area of grass, because the leaf shadows itself. If you compare the color of a single leaf with a single culm, there is no big difference. But a entire tree is definitely darker than grass.

Oh ok I see what you mean. Makes sense. :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it depends on the ligthing situation - trees can also appear very bright.

aerial-cow-grass-summer-background-landscape-tree-meadow-green-sunny-blue-mountain-scenic-beautiful-pine-forest-hill-nobody-natural-cloud-travel-day-sunshine-wood-high-sky-tourism-peak-aerial-uhd-4k_v1x3gjzv__M0000.jpg

If anything I´d say that the trees on the upper screenshot appear a bit too dark for my taste.

But then the map is still WIP - so plenty of room for suggestions / changes I guess :)

True. I just realized that actually it depends on cloud overcast vs trees are hit with direct sunlight.

Today where I live, the sky is covered with clouds and trees look very bright because there is no shadow under them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
I think it depends on the ligthing situation - trees can also appear very bright.

aerial-cow-grass-summer-background-landscape-tree-meadow-green-sunny-blue-mountain-scenic-beautiful-pine-forest-hill-nobody-natural-cloud-travel-day-sunshine-wood-high-sky-tourism-peak-aerial-uhd-4k_v1x3gjzv__M0000.jpg

If anything I´d say that the trees on the upper screenshot appear a bit too dark for my taste.

But then the map is still WIP - so plenty of room for suggestions / changes I guess :)

Trees (and screen itself) can be very bright. It depends of many factors. But they are darker than grass anyway. I love this point.

I did some fast light/color tweaking and added a general grunge texture over the city to add some fake details. I also darkened bottom of buildings with the roads.

Hope it inspires someone, or maybe not. Feel free to delete if its any problem.

iuxsFyF.png

Light conditions are incredibly varied, so to generalise is wrong. I should also point out that the example photo of light trees is terribly under exposed anyway, so a very poor example.

Light outer leaves, and darker shaded inner ones makes sense if it is sunny, but it is virtually impossible to cover all eventualities, so a compromise - probably sensibly on the darker side - is the answer.

I do however feel that an overall impression is more important than obsessing over details.

I did some fast light/color tweaking and added a general grunge texture over the city to add some fake details. I also darkened bottom of buildings with the roads.

Hope it inspires someone, or maybe not. Feel free to delete if its any problem.

I think that should be close to what the houses look like (though the trees are a bit darker than they should be I think) - I hope they do make the building textures "dirtier" as it would look more authentic. Either way, I'm just excited to have this map coming our way!

Will this map come with a pretty young french girl?

I assumed that would be the case. If not, hopefully someone will create a mod that does.....STARWAY, ARE YOU LISTENING? Our luck....it will be a DLC.....but for $15.00, I'll buy it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I assumed that would be the case. If not, hopefully someone will create a mod that does.....STARWAY, ARE YOU LISTENING? Our luck....it will be a DLC.....but for $15.00, I'll buy it.

:D.........:thumbup:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

Careful now. I can get in touch with your wife and point her towards your online discretions. :music_whistling: :megalol:

True. I just realized that actually it depends on cloud overcast vs trees are hit with direct sunlight.

Today where I live, the sky is covered with clouds and trees look very bright because there is no shadow under them.

Overcast clouds are essentially a giant light diffuser. The light really gets spread around. Like others have mentioned light conditions vary greatly and all ED can do is compromise on a middle ground.