Stuck in VR Zoom!!

Cruachan

Man... this is so frustrating.

I have VR zoom mapped to a combination of buttons on my hotas. Every now and then, when I'm in VR zoom, it gets stuck! It just happened a second ago and right when it got stuck, I had an hourglass pop into my rift while programming the INS in a Mirage. Next thing I know, I release the buttons and ... whammo... I've got permanent super vision.

Has this happened to anyone else? I seriously cannot find a way to un-zoom when this happens.

-Cru

Stink. Obviously a dodgy 'combo' setup me thinks. You might like to re-think your zoom mapping to maybe 1 button?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Man... this is so frustrating.

I have VR zoom mapped to a combination of buttons on my hotas. Every now and then, when I'm in VR zoom, it gets stuck! It just happened a second ago and right when it got stuck, I had an hourglass pop into my rift while programming the INS in a Mirage. Next thing I know, I release the buttons and ... whammo... I've got permanent super vision.

Has this happened to anyone else? I seriously cannot find a way to un-zoom when this happens.

-Cru

The hour glass suggests to me that you might want to repair your DCS install. Maybe also update you graphics driver.

It's super rare when it happens, normally I can't get it to unzoom... But I have been able to once or twice. I think the install is fine but that I'm hitting a glitch of some sort. Mapping to one button might be something to try though.

More than anything, I'm just wondering if it's happened to someone else. Seems like if you are holding the key for zoom and something goes 'boing' (that is the technical term for it) that its like DCS gets stuck that way.... Like, when you are making a funny face and someone slaps you on the back... You get stuck that way.

-Cru

It's super rare when it happens, normally I can't get it to unzoom... But I have been able to once or twice. I think the install is fine but that I'm hitting a glitch of some sort. Mapping to one button might be something to try though.

More than anything, I'm just wondering if it's happened to someone else. Seems like if you are holding the key for zoom and something goes 'boing' (that is the technical term for it) that its like DCS gets stuck that way.... Like, when you are making a funny face and someone slaps you on the back... You get stuck that way.

-Cru

Whenever I start getting glitches the first thing I do is repair the install. It's just a matter of good or housekeeping, so why not do this simple step and see if if fixes the problem?

Is this in DCS W 1.5 or 2.1? reason being I believe 2.1 is still very buggy in VR with lots of stutters and freezes that could be s contributing factor to your problem.

I'm not seeing that in 2.1. For me it's as smooth as glass with only a very small amount of stutter looking sideways when there's a lot happening.

I'm not seeing that in 2.1. For me it's as smooth as glass with only a very small amount of stutter looking sideways when there's a lot happening.

I'm very Happy it works well for you:) But what I'm trying to convey to The OP is That DCS W 2.1 is an Open Alpha Product with many new features and graphic settings that Have not been fully tested Where as DCSW 1.5 is a STABLE version of the sim that HAS gone under many updates/tests and fixes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's in 1.5, I might try to clean the install but it's rare enough to not be the biggest issue. I actually would like to see if I could reproduce it on demand, that might be helpful too. As for 2.1, I don't remember it ever happening there.

• 1 year later...

I recently had this bug … once (and only one).

It might not be thing to spend time on ? but I recorded a track (very short - it happened just after take off in hornet while setting SMS page - zoom got stuck in zoom in position, and I reset it by pressing escape, that didn't showed menu but exited zoom, zoom button didn't respond before tapping Esc.)

I post the track but it's useless until devs could see input + status of zoom, because when I replay the track I control the zoom so the issue is unvisible on track until specific Tools are used ??

I'm very Happy it works well for you:) But what I'm trying to convey to The OP is That DCS W 2.1 is an Open Alpha Product with many new features and graphic settings that Have not been fully tested Where as DCSW 1.5 is a STABLE version of the sim that HAS gone under many updates/tests and fixes.

No it isn't. It is just an out of date version of DCS World.

2.5 is the currently supported version of DCS World, and it has complete VR support. All the OP needs to do is ensure he is running the latest update, either release or Beta version.

Another thing to do is delete your snap view file from the Saved Games/Config/View folder to rule out a possible snap view corruption. That can move the pilot's head position drastically if it becomes corrupt.

I concur with previous comments regarding running regular repairs as a quick fix for a lot of issues. If that fails, just rename the Saved Games folder, and a new one will be created next time you run DCS World. Then you can restore settings slowly from the old folder until you trace the culprit.