M2KC RWR can detect F-15C TWS Launches?

inSky_1911CFZS

Well, whether it's "realistic" or not is debatable. But it's almost universally accepted that RWRs of the generations we have simulated in DCS are incapable of decoding the m-link that guides the AIM-120 mid-course.

All RWRs in DCS will give a scan indication when the missile is guided via data-link in TWS and a launch indication when actively homing, except the mirage's RWR. It has been known for a while and AFAIK RAZBAM never commented on it.

Edited by red_coreSix

How long has this been happening for? And if this is the case... I wonder how I keep pulling off those 20+ mile shots on M2Ks if they have all the time in the world to realize a missile has been launched at them...

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

I get hit by 120's in TWS without warning (or 2sec before boom) all the time.

Only times I get a early warning is if the missile-launch-detection picks it up based on it's heat signature. But most of the time the F-15 will be above me so the sensors are blind as a bat.

Sounds like a little more testing is needed with the D2M. But then again, I would imagine that it would warn you of a launch whether the missile is aimed at you or not :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If the firing F15c is in STT and fires AIM120 it gives warning, but not in TWS.

D2M can obviously see TWS launches but not from 30nmi. More like around 8nm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Sounds like a little more testing is needed with the D2M. But then again, I would imagine that it would warn you of a launch whether the missile is aimed at you or not :)

I don't think it is related with the d2m since I'm pretty sure the warning sound I got was clearly RWR sound,not the d2m warning sound.

Are you sure the F-15 used TWS launch? Was it a human controlled F-15, did you brief with its pilot?

If he was STT... then it's normal.

Not at home, can't test myself yet.

Pretty sure the F-15 launched at me using TWS, cuz it was a SP mission and in the same mission flying Su-27 I got warning after pitbull, despite I got the warning just after launch when I'm in M2000.

OK so F-15 was AI.

Perhaps something to check, but I don't how to be sure to "force" AI F-15 to use either TWS or STT when firing a 120...

Don't know if there is an option to force the AI to use TWS or STT,but In default the AI F-15C always uses TWS to launch AIM-120, at least from the time when 1.5 was released IIRC:)

• 2 weeks later...

In the course of testing how to defeat Eagles, Flankers and Fulcrums at high altitude BVR I discovered a couple of interesting points on this topic.

First in no way connected to the D2M. Can have this turned off or not installed and makes no difference.

But most interestingly the alert happens a few moments after the launch.

Bandit would launch missile (Fulcrum or Eagle), then turn around 60° after that I get the launch warning.

Again this is against AI so can't be sure but suspect they go into STT after turning.

Also worth noting the bandits were far easier to defeat by ignoring the initial launch and waiting for the missile to go active (active seeker means a dead motor at range) before defending against it.