Can we get some information on the new free map to be released in 2019?

MobiSev

Meaning, you get the height map just by importing the existing standard open data to it, that you can get from multiple sources to present any part of the real world.

Then you should be able generate the base textures for various altitudes and layers and then just apply those (generally done for the height map). And that you can literally paint all over the map by just drawing around with various size brushes the texture elements you want.

That sounds similar to "Race Track Builder", an Amazing app that you can use to make circuits for simracing, much faster than using pure 3D modelling tools.

If the TDK is as easy to use, it would be amazing

Wags also said somewhere recently that the map fits the current line-up of ED's WW2 planes, so it's probably Europe. His previous hints were that it was ideal for multiplayer and not resource intensive (so sounds like lots of water). My current best guesses are something like these (each square is roughly the same size as Caucasus/Persian Gulf):

attachment.php?attachmentid=220582&stc=1&d=1572947763

The exact map shape might be different, but I think that's probably the best mix-up of European conflict areas with lots of water that fit both modern and WW2-era scenarios.

I really hope so, expecially for the Balkan teather now that we have the F16 along the way... :pilotfly:

Balkans although I would LOVE it, is too populated to do right, and specially for a free map.

Greece, can you imagine how many special objects (land marks) they would need to do?

The only one that makes sense form the three is North Africa. then again its another desert map LOL

The new free map will be released on 1st of April 2020. It will cover some unknown part of the Indian Ocean without any sort of land :)

Anyways back to the topic, those areas recently mentioned would be really nice but I highly doubt that they would be free. My bet is somewhere around Belarus or Southern Baltic countries.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

The new free map will be released on 1st of April 2020. It will cover some unknown part of the Indian Ocean without any sort of land :)

Anyways back to the topic, those areas recently mentioned would be really nice but I highly doubt that they would be free. My bet is somewhere around Belarus or Southern Baltic countries.

LOL

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

To be followed by Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 DLC campaign.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Here we don't have April's fool, we have some equivalent the 28th December ? When will we get the empty map, 28/12/2019 or 28/12/2020 ? :P

A single airplane that crashes without firing a single bullet :megalol: This DLC is also free.

Sssshhhhhhh! The ending was supposed to be a surprise!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

A large/only water map would actually be good for fleet vs fleet scenarios. I wonder why ED never did it.

That should have been a second free map in DCS since like first carrier capable aircraft (Su-33) and especially at F/A-18C launch....

That couldn't be difficult to make, at all....

Middle of somewhere North Atlantic a 1000x1000km area....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 1 month later...
Isnt basically the entire Black Sea available in the Caucasus map?

We want correct geographical coordinates. Not just "imagine" we're near iceland.

Edit, for a north atlantic map we also need the correct altitude of the sun/moon depending on date, time and latitude and what not. Bombing a submarine in arctic waters with the sun at 65° altitude is no fun.

Another edit: Why not add some polar lights, meteors and weather phenomenons like sprites? A supernova of betelgeuze would also be a nice surprise :D

Edited by Eber
additional information

We want correct geographical coordinates. Not just "imagine" we're near iceland.

Edit, for a north atlantic map we also need the correct altitude of the sun/moon depending on date, time and latitude and what not. Bombing a submarine in arctic waters with the sun at 65° altitude is no fun.

Another edit: Why not add some polar lights, meteors and weather phenomenons like sprites? A supernova of betelgeuze would also be a nice surprise :D

Wow, that is specific!

But fair enough, this is HiDef simming after all :D

So the new map has been confirmed that it's going to be the Pacific. This can be pretty cool or just an stretch of almost-empty (There would be an island so that the F-16 could take off) ocean for the new Supercarrier and the Hornet to enjoy. Do we have any information about what the map is going to cover? Roughly which geographic area, or if at least we can expect to have some islands for normal planes to not be left completely behind?

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Well there was that asset pack that showed apparently Asian markings. So it seems more likely to me its going to be Korea/Taiwan rather than say Kamtatcha/Aleutians. Which personally I think I would have prefered out the two because it would be wonderfully bad weather to fly the Tomcat in.

Im a bit crushed actually. I was near certain it was going to be North Cape. :(

Well there was that asset pack that showed apparently Asian markings. So it seems more likely to me its going to be Korea/Taiwan rather than say Kamtatcha/Aleutians. Which personally I think I would have prefered out the two because it would be wonderfully bad weather to fly the Tomcat in.

Im a bit crushed actually. I was near certain it was going to be North Cape. :(

Yeah the northern part would have also been nice to have, as you can also fly the (forgotten) russian planes from there, adding to the realism imo

So the new map has been confirmed that it's going to be the Pacific.

8<

Wait, WHAT?! :blink:

W-w-where?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Wait, WHAT?! :blink:

W-w-where?

I think Wags was in an interview for a flight (sims?) magazine or something, and there he said the next map was going to be in the pacific. I don't have the source with me right now however.

AFAIK they planned to give more info on the free map before 2019 ends, tomorrow is the last chance they have, hope they can give us a bit more of info, no simply "pacific" as that is pretty useless.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

AFAIK they planned to give more info on the free map before 2019 ends, tomorrow is the last chance they have, hope they can give us a bit more of info, no simply "pacific" as that is pretty useless.

Fingers crossed.

Really excited for the new free map.

It seems pretty clear to me: They will do the Honolulu coastal area with Pearl Harbor in honor of my first Hornet sim: Graphsim's F/A-18 Hornet. :-)

f-a-18-hornet-3-0_18.thumb.png.717d73ddccb5dc3fcfc853d7690dd646.png268853-fa18_001.jpg.52e58539d608f558ca559e1ad8a931b9.jpg

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display