More new guy questions please - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
John Galt

Default More new guy questions please

Preparing to jump in when the F16 is released and I get a new computer, so question one, if I install DCS World on a computer create a log in and account and purchase a plane or campaign etc but not install it on that computer. Later, with a new machine after downloading DCS and logging in, can I still access my purchase after say 3 months and install on that computer? ( I want to take advantage of summer sales ) Question two, can you play multiplayer with wifi?
Thanks for any help.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Harlikwin
Veteran

Not 100% clear on what you are asking. But from a steam perspecive (since thats what I use)

If you buy it on steam now (or pre-order it) it will be available in 3 months, or 3 years. As I understand it You do get a limited number of "reinsatalls" on new systems (like 10). And you can recover some of them if you uninstall it on the old machine. If its on the same system you can re-install as much as you want (it tracks major hardware changes to determine "new system"). I'd assume the ED store is pretty similar.

There is multiplayer. And yes you can use wifi, though latency and other things tend to be better over wired connections (based on my laptop being wifi from 3ft away and my new rig being hard wired).
Old 07-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #3
dawgie79

If you don't install the module then yes. If you do install it and then buy a new computer, you have to follow a procedure first regarding the license, on your old computer (not sure how to properly uninstall the license, search the forums, it's mentioned a few times I think).

And yes. Wifi is possible. Wire always better tho, as Harlikwin said.
dawgie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
ENO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgie79 View Post
If you don't install the module then yes. If you do install it and then buy a new computer, you have to follow a procedure first regarding the license, on your old computer (not sure how to properly uninstall the license, search the forums, it's mentioned a few times I think).

And yes. Wifi is possible. Wire always better tho, as Harlikwin said.
I’m not sure if things changed but you should be able to install each purchased module on multiple computers on a single account but you can’t play that account on two computers simultaneously online.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art
ENO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
M1Combat

Yeah I'm pretty sure they changed the licensing scheme from the old "limited number of activation's".

I'm pretty sure now you just log in to DCS and whatever your login has access to you get. <-- period

That said...

I do recommend that you just purchase through the DCS shop as opposed to Steam. ED gets more of your money, It's more mobile on your PC (moving from one HDD to another without having Steam move it for you), updates and new modules tend to come out a short time sooner, You can do the Open Beta version (maybe you can on steam too...). In any case... the big thing is to get more of your money to ED and not Steam. Steam has plenty .

Nvidia RTX2080 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
imacken
Veteran

Guys, DCS has been (almost) keyless for quite some time now. There are only a handful of old modules still using the old Starforce DRM and its 10 activations thing.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
There are only a handful of old modules still using the old Starforce DRM and its 10 activations thing.

To be precise, the A-10C, Blackshark 2 and Flamming Cliffs 3, still use Star Force ... strangely, the individual FC3 planes (A-10A, F-15, Su-27, Su-33 and Su-25A) are already keyless, which seems odd.

All campaigns and all Maps are also keyless.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
John Galt

Thank you all for the information, it give me the info I needed.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #9
Eldur

Never had problems with the StarForce activations anyway. Never deactivated any module, had some of them activated several times due to hardware changes, but I still have enough activations left. Apart from that, when they're down low, they'll replenish once in 3 months or so, basically you wouldn't run out of them if you bought a new rig 4 times a year. And in the very case you'd be down to zero, just contact the ED support, might even be necessary to contact StarForce, but AFAIK they'll help out in such cases. So nothing to be afraid of.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
GaryR

Also, check module prices on Steam vs. ED direct, some of them are substantially less $$ on the ED site and they are NOT Steam compatible. I like that Steam is easy to set up/buy modules and it auto-updates but consider costs as you can not use direct ED purchased modules in a Steam version of DCS (since 2017 I believe).. For me, as I didn't know about the "stop compatibility date cutoff" it's not a choice anymore.
Gigabyte RTX 2080 card w/ 8GB in Alienware Graphics Amplifier - 430.86 drivers
Output to a new LG 32GK850G-B 32" G-Sync monitor at 60Hz (VSync on in game)
CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle HOTAS

Last edited by GaryR; 07-25-2019 at 10:10 AM.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote