HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I grabbed one (from Amazon, not the other place) - at very least I can see if I like it. If I have issues I can return it - if I like it, I'll get a new one later, if I don't like it, oh well.

There aren't really any more options, and I hate to wait and then go through this same thing again...

I did want the pro one though to get the leather - wonder if it's something I can swap out later

I had the Pro and it is leatherette (vinyl) - not real leather. The Standard ones feel nearly the same although it is a fine cloth and it is removable (Velcro). As I mentioned before that rubber nose piece comes out in either so you can peek at the keyboard, etc..

I grabbed one (from Amazon, not the other place) - at very least I can see if I like it. If I have issues I can return it - if I like it, I'll get a new one later, if I don't like it, oh well.

There aren't really any more options, and I hate to wait and then go through this same thing again...

I did want the pro one though to get the leather - wonder if it's something I can swap out later

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Maybe not for flight sims but for car racing sims the FOV is useful IMO. Since you already dropped the money for it and own it and would likely take a big hit selling it it may be worth keeping if you do the car sims a lot. Recent reviews keep saying they are finally improving the software (the larger FOV setting out performed the lower one? and other anomalies). Now they need to improve the build quality. I am interested to see if the Pimax 8K X (native resolution) is any better. It may be too resource intensive and costly.

3840 x 2160 per eye :thumbup: 2 4K panels and only one DisplayPort 1.4 cable. Should also be released before EOY. They need it to be at least 80 Hz IMO. They are using a different lens supposedly that requires less distortion correction than the std Fresnel lenses. They don't want to increase the the CPU/GPU load much over current headsets by doing this. They are hinting that the price could be astronomical though (hopefully not over $1K but SweViver is guessing $1500 (w/o base stations or controllers)) . Lots of R&D. :cry:

I also don't know if within the current limits of DCS rendering and performance if any more resolution or FOV is much more helpful beyond the Reverb in actual play. Clarity, distortion free, and not buggy are much more important than FOV IMO. I am sure that YouTube reviewer/sponsor SweViver will get one of the first ones to test in DCS. If it comes out before my 45 day Reverb refund period ends and has raving reviews in DCS and is available and is $1K or close to it or less then I would consider it. I have my doubts given their history right now on headset performance, issues, quality, etc.. They have a lot to improve upon before I buy one.

No still 2 left! Grab them while you can, and hope for the best!

Secoda - Will I want to sell my 5K+ or the the large FOV worth keeping for flight / racing sims ?

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Thanks Secoda! I was a Pimax backer so the hit wouldn't be as bad, but it would be a big hit I'm sure.

I might just keeps it for the sim collection but I need more testing. I've only used it once, as My motion cockpit is under construction. I used it in X plane only for a few minutes in the starting hangar only, and was immediately disappointed. I spent no time on setup (still learning how to) but the resolution seemed not much better than CV-1. Cessna s on the other side of the hangar looked like fuzzy blobs. I instantly wanted to sell it and order a Reverb! I'll try again soon and see if I can make things better. I'm firmly in the " FOV is cool, but resolution / clarity is paramount" camp!

Edited by Wmacky

Secoda - I thought I saw you post some method of pushing the mask slightly further from your face so you don't see the blue edge, can you share that again. Thanks.

That was me having that issue. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3975625&postcount=26

I bought a roll of adhesive-backed weather stripping at Walmart, ran a piece of that around the facepad of my Reverb, and the blue edges I was seeing are gone now. It cost about 4 bucks and was extremely easy to apply. It just takes a few uses to get the foam fully conformed to your face, so its a little awkward-feeling at first, but it quickly settles in and gets better.

I'm actually finding short-range air defenses now with the good old Mk 1 eyeball, and killing them before they can shoot back. Couldn't do that before the Reverb. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The 5K+ should be quite a bit clearer than a CV1. They are very finicky on settings. I have read several times that a lot of VR folks don't ever get on a forum and never realize the potential of their headsets on their own.

Thanks Secoda! I was a Pimax backer so the hit wouldn't be as bad, but it would be a big hit I'm sure.

I might just keeps it for the sim collection but I need more testing. I've only used it once, as My motion cockpit is under construction. I used it in X plane only for a few minutes in the starting hangar only, and was immediately disappointed. I spent no time on setup (still learning how to) but the resolution seemed not much better than CV-1. Cessna s on the other side of the hangar looked like fuzzy blobs. I instantly wanted to sell it and order a Reverb! I'll try again soon and see if I can make things better. I'm firmly in the " FOV is cool, but resolution / clarity is paramount" camp!

Edited by Secoda

That was me having that issue. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3975625&postcount=26

I bought a roll of adhesive-backed weather stripping at Walmart, ran a piece of that around the facepad of my Reverb, and the blue edges I was seeing are gone now. It cost about 4 bucks and was extremely easy to apply. It just takes a few uses to get the foam fully conformed to your face, so its a little awkward-feeling at first, but it quickly settles in and gets better.

I'm actually finding short-range air defenses now with the good old Mk 1 eyeball, and killing them before they can shoot back. Couldn't do that before the Reverb. :D

Thanks eagle, a nice cheap solution to take full advantage of the Reverb's resolution.

Anyone using two RTX 2080 cards with the new NVLink (SLI) configuration and an HP Reverb (or any VR headset) in DCS? I am just curious as to what kind of gain in VR you are seeing in FPS going to double cards.

The benchmarking changes are pretty impressive for RTX supported titles (80% gains in FPS) still pretty good for non-RTX titles (60% gains). One issue is the CPU like my I-7 8700K starts to become a bottleneck for the SLI GPUs but fixable. My interest is that there will be a period in a few months where the RTX 2080 are replaced by the Supers and will on the market for a lot less (trade-ins and stock run-outs) and it may be good option for a huge boost at a reasonable cost if SLI works in DCS.

The 5K+ should be quite a bit clearer than a CV1. They are very finicky on settings. I have read several times that a lot of VR folks don't ever get on a forum and never realize the potential of their headsets on their own.

5K+ is VERY much clearer than CV1. I've used it. But Reverb is clearer than 5K+. And the performance is way way way better.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Anyone using two RTX 2080 cards with the new NVLink (SLI) configuration and an HP Reverb (or any VR headset) in DCS? I am just curious as to what kind of gain in VR you are seeing in FPS going to double cards.

The benchmarking changes are pretty impressive for RTX supported titles (80% gains in FPS) still pretty good for non-RTX titles (60% gains). One issue is the CPU like my I-7 8700K starts to become a bottleneck for the SLI GPUs but fixable. My interest is that there will be a period in a few months where the RTX 2080 are replaced by the Supers and will on the market for a lot less (trade-ins and stock run-outs) and it may be good option for a huge boost at a reasonable cost if SLI works in DCS.

NVlink does not work in DCS. NO vendor specific tech does.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

FWIW I play more race sims than flight sims but I sold a 5K+ once I got my Reverb.

The tricky bit is VR is so personal. Some will say they simply can't go back to a narrower FOV once they have it. That wasn't my case. Prior to ordering the Reverb I had quite an extensive test with the Pimax at its three FOV levels and I really wasn't that bothered. Putting on the Reverb for the first time I just loved the clarity, everything feels that much more real even with an even lower FOV than the lowest Pimax setting.

In fact the Reverb is why I am here now, it has reinvigorated my interest in flight sims. I dabbled with DCS with the CV1, tried it again with an OD+, again with the Pimax and now it just feels amazing with the Reverb, as if VR has finally arrived for flight sims for me. Of course the caveat is the next person will say the FOV is like wearing ski googles, like I say these things are personal.

I think the best thing is to try to glean info from people you believe have similar wishes, is FOV a priority, or clarity, controllers for other games, need wide IPD ranges that sort of thing.

It is an exciting time for VR that is for sure :)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I guess they can get SLI to work in non VR?

NVlink does not work in DCS. NO vendor specific tech does.

I guess they can get SLI to work in non VR?

Aurelius was trying to do it, but short answer is NO not natively though it does work for flat screens iirc. There was a long thread on it a few months back.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I got one the Amazon ones that were just released. I think they were still part of the first batch because mine started having the screen turn black after about 20 minutes of playtime. The resolution over my Vive was incredible but the fov was a bit smaller. Will definitely get one again when issues are fixed.

I got one the Amazon ones that were just released. I think they were still part of the first batch because mine started having the screen turn black after about 20 minutes of playtime. The resolution over my Vive was incredible but the fov was a bit smaller. Will definitely get one again when issues are fixed.

Stay with it. It does take a LOT of setting up but it is worth it. I just flew a couple of hour and a half missions this afternoon and the experience was flawless.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Thanks eagle, a nice cheap solution to take full advantage of the Reverb's resolution.

No problem. Good to see I'm not the only one who was having the problem of the lenses being too close to my eyes.

Also, make sure to tighten the screws that attach the headphones to the HMD. They're not very tight from the factory, and you may end up with a gradually worsening intermittent audio situation. Get those screws nice and tight, and that problem goes away. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

They should take the Valve Index headset frame with two axis adjustments and the Reverb high resolution lenses and inside tracking and a new cable to handle the high data load. We can build a FrankenVRheadset. If the Acer Ojo ConceptD VR headset happens to work it is most of the way there.

Edited by Secoda

Unbelievable! :disgust:

Why is HP still shiping broken HMD's after already recalling them back from the vendors. This just does not makes sense? Anyone have a guess as to why they would do this?

Makes me wonder if I should just refuse the package due to arrive tomorrow? I am curios to see the new screens, but what a hassle having to ship it back. Just hours before I got notification, I had considered cancelling the preorder as to avoid this happing.

Edited by Wmacky

Unbelievable! :disgust:

Why is HP still shiping broken HMD's after already recalling them back from the vendors. This just does not makes sense? Anyone have a guess as to why they would do this?

Makes me wonder if I should just refuse the package due to arrive tomorrow? I am curios to see the new screens, but what a hassle having to ship it back. Just hours before I got notification, I had considered cancelling the preorder as to avoid this happing.

Most likely because they were ordered a long time ago and since there wasn't a recall, they don't seem to do anything.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The HP Tech support guy I frequently spoke to made it real clear that he had nothing to do with marketing, sales, or sales decisions. lol I have no problem buying them, using them, and returning them if need be but it may not be so easy everywhere.

Amazon has become a stickler on their ever changing policies. I fight with them regularly and they don't budge. Their policy now is if you buy something on a sale and the sale ends and they lose it in shipping to you (like they have done now twice to me) of no fault of your own - they won't ship another one with the discount price. They will only refund it and then you can buy it again but at the full price - no exceptions.

They alter prices constantly and won't match their own price changes (it used to be they would for 30 days and then it was shortened to 7 days and now not all) - even if you bought the same item the day before. You must cancel or return it if you can and then buy it again at the new price.

Edited by Secoda

No problem. Good to see I'm not the only one who was having the problem of the lenses being too close to my eyes.

Also, make sure to tighten the screws that attach the headphones to the HMD. They're not very tight from the factory, and you may end up with a gradually worsening intermittent audio situation. Get those screws nice and tight, and that problem goes away. :)

Yes, I found the hearphones getting loose after awhile and causing the sound issue, so I've tightened it up. You should see the metal bracket across the cable connection with electrical tape around it :). That being said I've had no issues since I got it from Amazon a week ago.

I didn't get in any VR time in this weekend until just now. This 2nd Reverb is just running like a top so far. I believe the settings are just about peaked and it is so butter smooth in the VR testing mission I use and clear as can be. I hope they continue to optimize DCS for VR. I don't see the need for a hardware upgrade at this point through the rest of this year at least.

Edited by Secoda

Secoda, mind to share your game and SteamVR settings and the results you get?

I didn't get in any VR time in this weekend until just now. This 2nd Reverb is just running like a top so far. I believe the settings are just about peaked and it is so butter smooth in the VR testing mission I use and clear as can be. I hope they continue to optimize DCS for VR. I don't see the need for a hardware upgrade at this point through the rest of this year at least.

SteamVR does some sophisticated testing to determine how the video card will perform in VR. It used to be pretty bad at guessing but it is vastly improved I was just told.

Like this

kSMvDn9.jpg

My SteamVR (latest updates) video dialog shows the Reverb but I am still at a recommended 150% with a resolution of around 21xx x 21xx with a 2080Ti. Intrigued that your resolution is so high at 106?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat