Wheels/Gear Problem - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
taffy001

Default Wheels/Gear Problem - SOLVED

Hi Guys,
Have just bought the Hornet and having a few problems with retracting the Landing Gear (and putting it down) - Have tried with a number of buttons on stick and throttle (cheap Thrustmaster HOTAS) and external button box and the keyboard (G) but nothing seems to work - am I doing something wrong here - am I missing something obvious here ??? Am operating in sim mode

Could anyone just run through the key binding process for the landing gear for me to make sure I know what I am doing as other actions seem to work OK.

Being ex RAAF love the Hornet

Thanks in advance....Taffy

Last edited by taffy001; 08-18-2019 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Fixed the problem
taffy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
BIGNEWY

Hi taffy001

The G binding is a toggle up or down.

you can also bind the gear to individual inputs if you wish.

I have my gear lever input bound to individual inputs.

I have added two screenshots below, I hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_190722_074348.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	681.5 KB
ID:	214120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_190722_074352.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	689.8 KB
ID:	214121  
Forum rules - Crash advice - Cleanup and repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
taffy001

Default Hornet wheel/landing gear binding issues

Thanks BIGNEWEY,

I have tried those and tried to bind to buttons on joystick/throttle and button box with no success. Just seems a number of functions just will not bind (landing gear and wheel brake for instance)..

I am not sure why - maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the Hornet - can that be done ???? or is that to much effort

It is really strange as I have no problems binding any function with the Spitfire and Huey - just the Hornet...

Still confused

Taffy
Old 07-24-2019, 02:30 AM   #4
daarseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy001 View Post
Thanks BIGNEWEY,

I have tried those and tried to bind to buttons on joystick/throttle and button box with no success. Just seems a number of functions just will not bind (landing gear and wheel brake for instance)..

I am not sure why - maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the Hornet - can that be done ???? or is that to much effort

It is really strange as I have no problems binding any function with the Spitfire and Huey - just the Hornet...

Still confused

Taffy

Make sure you are binding the appropriate "setting." There is SIM and GAME, also an option that needs to be checked or unchecked within the settings menu (separately). I personally have "GAME MODE" un-checked. I ran into an issue early on with binding keys / switches, etc. for the Hornet and had accidentally been assigning them under the F18 Game tab rather than the F18 Sim tab.

Not sure if that is the cause of your issue, but worth a check.

If you are using "GAME MODE" you need to bind the keys desired under the "F18 GAME" tab.

If you are flying without GAME MODE and using simulation physics, make sure to bind the keys under the "F18 SIM" tab.

Cheers and hope it may have helped.
daarseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:49 AM   #5
taffy001

Default Wheels / gear problem

Thanks Darseeth,

I tried all that today - deleted any functions in Game Tab - made sure Game Mode was off and then reset all keys in the F18 Sim Mode

But no joy - Throttle works / Stick works - I can taxi and take off but just cannot get some other functions working....

Just to make sure I have it correct - I assume "Landing Gear Control Handle - UP means bring the wheels up as that is what I am using. Do you need to set another function prior to make this happen ... a lock release maybe ???

Wheels will not come up, Speed Brake will not work and wheel brakes do not work ...Tried some alternative buttons - but still no joy. And cannot even get the above functions to work with the standard default keyboard settings...

Maybe I need to submit a ticket to DCS .... Would the repair thing work ???

Taffy
Old 07-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
bbrz

Do you have a completely unmodded DCS? If not, I'd definitely try a repair and get rid of any mods.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
Deano87

Try these following steps.

1: Clear the F-18 input folder in your saved games folder. This is where the sim saves your personal bindings for each aircraft. These are usually located in a directory like C:\Users\Deano87\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input - Find the FA-18 folder in there and delete it, don’t worry the sim will create a new one. Note this will delete all of the bindings you have made for the F-18 but it may allow all of the others to work as well.

Re open the sim and see if you can properly bind controls now. If not proceed to step 2.

2: Run DCS repair, note this will clear any mods you have installed.
Hit the start button on your desktop and scroll down through the application list until you see Eagle Dynamics, click then and then try DCS Repair. Run that and see if that helps.

If neither of the above steps help I suggest uninstalling the Hornet and reinstalling it.

3. launch DCS, once you arrive at the main menu look up into the top left corner for an icon that looks like a bunch of small boxes, this is module manager. Go in there and look for a tab that says “installed” (I’m doing this from memory, apologies) once you’re on that list you should see all the modules that you have installed currently. Find the F-18 and hit the trash can next to it to uninstall the module. I can’t remember if the sim restarts automatically. Or if you have to do it manually but just shut DCS down and then re-open it. The F-18 should no longer be in your sim. Go back to the module manager in DCS and then install the F-18 from there again.

Hope it helps!

Proud owner of:
Deltasim - Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade.
Real Simulator - FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick
PointCTRL VR - Finger Trackers for VR
Mach3Ti Ring - Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
taffy001

Thanks bbrz and Deano87,

I’ll run through all your suggestions and see how I go and report back,

Taffy
Old 07-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
Deano87

Did you get anywhere with this?

Proud owner of:
Deltasim - Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade.
Real Simulator - FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick
PointCTRL VR - Finger Trackers for VR
Mach3Ti Ring - Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:26 AM   #10
taffy001

Hi Deano87,

Sadly I have got nowhere.....gone through the bunch of processes - reinstalled the FA18 twice but still no joy...really strange.

In the setting/controller inputs, I can bind keys to functions (then even press the key and it returns to the particular function so it seems to be binding). But once in game no reaction from the buttons (even the G on the keyboard does not work)

And for some reason - just seems to be with the Hornet (I have the Spit and Huey modules and they work fine)

So I am at a complete loss at the moment (just tried it all again and no joy)

Taffy