Carrier comms - Mini Updates - Page 29 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #281
Knock-Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Especially given Heatblur's upcoming carrier will be free to everyone.
Will it?

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Old 05-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #282
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethWolf View Post
Arguing that the reason for this is "immersion" , then admitting that the real reason is "we think this will get us the most cash" after several others point out how nonsensical the "this inhibits trolls" argument is, sounds like a textbook case of a bad faith argument to me.

I think you are incorrect that this is the best way to make money on this module, but you saying so isn't condescending or disingenuous the way that telling me that this is the way to protect module owners from "trolls" is.
You are reading it how you want, but that is not what I said.... and have repeated over and over.

I gave you MP scenarios AND also told you about the financial toll, if you can't see past that, then I can't help you, but no one is deceiving you.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #283
Tippis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
And how does that solution work in your eyes?
As described over and over and over in the last couple of pages: make it inert and uninteractable for people who haven't paid.

You will be “giving away” a single static object. In return, you will recuperate the sales you would have lost by making it irrelevant to most larger community servers.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #284
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Don't worry - this won't be a problem. In the way you've set it up, nobody will use it in MP anyway, and few people will buy it at all.

Especially given Heatblur's upcoming carrier will be free to everyone.
Not free, you need to purchase the F-14 dont you?

We also have free carriers in the sim... but when it comes to the ultimate carrier experience, we went the module route.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 05-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #285
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippis View Post
As described over and over and over in the last couple of pages: make it inert and uninteractable for people who haven't paid.

You will be “giving away” a single static object. In return, you will recuperate the sales you would have lost by making it irrelevant to most larger community servers.
That will be mission breaking to have an object, that as far as I know can be targeted and killed, now and invincible base of operations if your opponent doesn't have the module.

It is not a static object, a cow is a static object, not a carrier.
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 05-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #286
Tippis

Quote:
That will be mission breaking to have an object, that as far as I know can be targeted and killed, now and invincible base of operations if your opponent doesn't have the module.
Static objects can be targeted and killed just fine. We have GBU-31s for a reason.

Quote:
It is not a static object, a cow is a static object, not a carrier.
Now that you mention it, placeable livestock in the static object list would liven up a couple of scenarios I've been working on…

Anyway, ok, fine. I'll be precise. For the player who hasn't paid it will effectively be a static object.

Last edited by Tippis; 05-19-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #287
franticstone

I get that this is a module add on and as such you feel like there is a cost. to me the ATC is a core module for any flight sim and if you don't charge for the base game that's on you ED.

The carrier separately as its own module makes sense in some parts. I just think its more segregation.

If you want more money to churn out more high fidelity modules or charge for the base game in some capacity.

Making core addons a purchasable item will only alienate multiplayers
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #288
Thudster

How do we go from "Every player on an MP server, even if you only fly Air Force planes has to own it" to "FREE". That's not the sentiment I read, for the most part, we expect to pay for features. Ones we can actually USE.

First off, fix what doesn't work on the MP Stennis, including spawns, space for F-14's to spawn without killing each other, Communications, Tacan, etc. Good list to complete there.

But to say you're fixing all that (add some extra eye candy and a canned ATC) and calling the fix Payware and making it a PayWall for MP? Doesn't really make sense either if that's what you're trying to say. It is NOT the same as a map where everyone plays across levels of aircraft and services in the DCS World.

MP all you want, just don't mix Air Force, ground attack, JTAC, field ATC, with a fully functional carrier, or everyone pays. That's what makes no sense at all Wags.

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #289
Proof

Quote:
There is more potential for game breaking when a player who doesn't have the module is trying to interact with it, or use it in any form.

We have not found a solution that works for 100% of trolls, and it's not just trolls, it could be someone new that doesn't know any better...

Just saying, you need to look at the entire picture.

I completely appreciate where you're coming from, and no solution will ever combat 100% of trolls, but I feel there becomes a point where trying to shield people can become detrimental.

And yes a new player who doesn't know any better could cause issues with the carrier, along with pretty much any other aspect of the game, because they're new and don't know any better.

And this is about the big picture, this isn't coming from a place of pettiness where I don't want to pay for a carrier module but would love to squeeze out as much content as I can from it's inclusion anyway. It's about being able to play along side those who do want that carrier experience. If people can play with the new carrier on a server without owning it, most of the servers will use it, providing more places where it can be used, and I would end up buying it. But if realistically most servers aren't going to implement it, and it basically requires all my friends to get it too even those who want to fly MiGs against me, there is no point in me buying it, because they wont.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #290
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by franticstone View Post
I get that this is a module add on and as such you feel like there is a cost. to me the ATC is a core module for any flight sim and if you don't charge for the base game that's on you ED.

The carrier separately as its own module makes sense in some parts. I just think its more segregation.

If you want more money to churn out more high fidelity modules or charge for the base game in some capacity.

Making core addons a purchasable item will only alienate multiplayers

This isn't the core ATC this is the ATC for one module. The Nimitz. The core ATC is coming on the advances made here, and also on the ROI here as well, modules are what keep the core game and core additions free.
**How to Report a Bug**
Closed Thread