Hornet or Tomcat ? - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you rather be in a Hornet or Tomcat during a close in BFM engagement ?
Hornet - better turn radius. I'll be turning circles inside an F-14 128 71.51%
Tomcat - Raw Power and two heads vs 1 will win the day 51 28.49%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2019, 01:12 AM   #1
Shack

Default Hornet or Tomcat ?

Would you rather be in Tomcat or Hornet in a close-in BFM fight ?

Last edited by Shack; 03-09-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
Eldur

Tomcat... when the Hornet driver looses sight on me, I can feel the need and just get away with him running out of fuel and falling behind, just in case. Getting back home in one piece is more important than shooting things down.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:01 AM   #3
Jonnie2Bad

you mean if....
Jonnie2Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #4
Cake

Depends mostly on who is/are flying them.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
pete_auau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post
Depends mostly on who is/are flying them.

yep all depends on how good the pilot is on that particular aircraft
pete_auau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
hughlb

The Hornet is seriously intimidating in a knife fight.
| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

hughlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldur View Post
when the Hornet driver looses sight on me...
You do realise how big the F14 is right?
Flamin_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
Maulkin

From the book "Hornets over Kuwait":

"Today, with the benefit of hindsight, and the clear knowledge that the F/A-18 is far superior to the F-14 in almost every respect,"

And:

"Here you go: an honest comparison of how the aircraft performs relative to some of the other stuff that’s out there. The F-15 carries the same air-to-air weapons as the F/A-18, but has a better radar and associated systems that allow it to be more discriminatory about who and how it’s targeting at long range. Within visual range, similarly configured, the Hornet is more maneuverable and a better dogfighter. From a visual neutral start, similarly configured, I have never lost a “knife” fight with an Eagle. Also, the F-15 is not configured for air-to-ground operations. I can shoot down MIGs before and after I support my marine brethren on the ground. The F-15E is designed for the air-to-ground strike role, and it does outperform the Hornet in this role. However, the F-15E is very expensive and there are relatively few of them. At beyond visual range the F/A-18 is comparably equipped to the F-16, which is now (post Gulf War) capable of launching a radar missile. Within visual range I consider a well-flown Falcon (or Viper, as it is also called) to be a more formidable foe than the F-15. The Hornet’s slow-speed capabilities are still superior. Again, from a visual neutral start, similarly configured, I have never lost a knife fight with an F-16. Like the F-15, and just about everything else, the F-16 is faster than the F/A-18 and can run it down in a pinch. I’ve gotten engaged visually with a Mirage 2000 just once. I was carrying two external tanks, he was carrying none, and I beat him. The AV-8B Harrier doesn’t stand a chance against the F/A-18, or any of the other fourth generation fighters. The Air Defense Variant (ADV) of the Tornado is no match for the Hornet. The F-14 and F-4, likewise, are older and much less capable than the F/A-18. It is my opinion also that the Hornet can handle any Russian fighter currently fielded in any arena. I don’t mean to imply that Hornets don’t get beaten in dogfights by other aircraft. They do. The performance figures of most fourth generation fighters are very close. My personal contention is than an F/A-18, with an experienced pilot, in the visual arena against any similarly configured aircraft, is very difficult if not impossible to beat, depending on the other aircraft type and pilot. If you break out performance charts and start crunching numbers, you’ll find that several fourth-generation fighters have a certain envelope or regime within which they are superior to another given fighter. But, in a slow-speed fight (where most fights end up), the Hornet is tops."

Windows 10 64-bit - Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ASUS Strix GTX 1080ti - Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus motherboard w/ onboard SoundMAX integrated audio - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - Altec Lansing 5.1 speaker setup - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars - Oculus Rift
Maulkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
Airhunter

JHMCS + AIM-9X = nuf said.
Airhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Snappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhunter View Post
JHMCS + AIM-9X = nuf said.
Grow up
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote