The toughest enemy in DCS....

TheOtherSider

The fearsome the nearly immortal the stealthy..... Infantry unit. Seriously, How the hell are you supposed to see something that is barely a pixel in size from 500+ feet ? yeah. I can find them with the TGP or JTAC set a SPI on them. but when I come in for a gun run or even showering the area with rockets....I kill 1 -2 out of a group of 10 or 15. attacking infantry is like pulling teeth. I am not sure if I am asking a question or just griping :noexpression:

Not to mention dropping a JDA M 10 meters away and all the trucks around star t burning....but the Chick Norris of DCS is there, standing unscathed, with his AK rifle on his hand.

Enviado de meu SM-J500M usando o Tapatalk

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

One MK-84 will wipe out everyone on the city block.

But seriously, IRL you’d have the same issue. Impossible to spot a single guy from the air. If you want to cheat this and make it easier, turn on labels or dot only. If you get lucky, the soldier might start shooting at something and you’ll see the tracers. That’s about it.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

One MK-84 will wipe out everyone on the city block.

But seriously, IRL you’d have the same issue. Impossible to spot a single guy from the air. If you want to cheat this and make it easier, turn on labels or dot only. If you get lucky, the soldier might start shooting at something and you’ll see the tracers. That’s about it.

Not if he is smoking a cigarette..

Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think really the issue is more of mission design, IRL you plaster the **** out the area and count them "Dead"... DCS with its triggers is a bit more "Demanding" and "omniscient".

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Not to mention dropping a JDA M 10 meters away and all the trucks around star t burning....but the Chick Norris of DCS is there, standing unscathed, with his AK rifle on his hand.

Enviado de meu SM-J500M usando o Tapatalk

Gravity has killed me more often...but seriously...

Set a 'FARP fuel dump" next to a bunch of targets. They get 1000 pound bombs going off ten yards away, cluster bombs (anti-armor and GP) landing on the field in front of them...the guards are still standing without so much as a flinch. They are what Marines aspire to be...amazing soldiers.

Of course it's a bug...they're U.S. Air Force aggressors, so they shouldn't even be standing (sitting in a lounge chair is more likely).

:D

I'm pretty sure those guards aren't even actually soldiers but concrete mannequins to make the thing look like it's guarded...

But I think Harlikwin is absolutely right. In real life nobody would know how many of them actually survive the bomb, but frankly, nobody cares anyway, because they'd be wounded, shaken and buried in rubble, in other words: out of the fight for a while. In DCS, though, the trigger only cares for 'units inside area' yes or no.

For mission design the infantry folks really only make much sense for helicopter missions, which both have a chance of actually finding those pesky units and also actually being visible in any capacity.

I think really the issue is more of mission design, IRL you plaster the **** out the area and count them "Dead"... DCS with its triggers is a bit more "Demanding" and "omniscient".

The situation that triggered this rant was the " Defend Camp Yankee" mission and I think you are right about the the triggers.... JTAC is telling me infantry us guns. So I am GUNS GUNS GUNS! all over that SPI. JTAC Targt not destroyed re attack authorized. After the 4th time of this I flipped on labels to see one lone red dot hiding next to a tree. He Matrix dodged two more gun passes before going down. The trigger finally popped up the next group. :megalol: In real life even if I missed the guy he would have died from a heart attack.

In reality you don't spot infantry that 1) ain't moving at open 2) doesn't leave visible tracks like path on clean snow 3) doesn't want to be seen.

Even against FLIR there are methods to avoid spotting. You will more likely spot a squirrels than soldiers that has prepared for war....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

In reality you don't spot infantry that 1) ain't moving at open 2) doesn't leave visible tracks like path on clean snow 3) doesn't want to be seen.

Even against FLIR there are methods to avoid spotting. You will more likely spot a squirrels than soldiers that has prepared for war....

Just shh..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The problem with the A10C gun vs infantry is that only 1 ever 5 shells is High Explosive. The average GI won't care about an AP round bouncing 1 feet around him except for the obvious brown pants moment. Fill the gun with full HE ammo and enjoy the fireworks.

Also that's the reason most missions I make usually blow up the whole infantry group if more than half are dead. That's more than reasonable and equals to the survivors carrying the wounded out of the fight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I went in police chopper here, with it's flir, and it's very sensitive and has great zoom, the camera can read number plates from 2 miles, and the flir can spot 0.1c temperature changes the size of chewing gum from 500m.

So anyone should be easy to spot with all this, right?

No.

If they find someone, they have never lost them afterwards, but finding them initially is another matter.

This is from a Heli that can hover and twist and turn and get into any vantage point, as well as (being in the UK) never seen what a bullet looks like....

My point is, even with everything on your side, you can't always find people from the air. Sometimes realism in a simulator sucks

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

It could be worse - there's nothing more frustrating than doing Mi-8/Huey gun runs and being unable to kill infantry because the zeroing of the guns causes your massive bursts to hit one meter on either side of them to no effect.

And then it takes a single tracer-less infantry round to take out your tail rotor or engine. Most dangerous unit there is, infantry is far scarier than APCs and IFVs.

This!

It's a simulation, as good as it gets till today.

Never heard any witness how it feels to get pounded from Warthog 30mils even from meters away...

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

come on, we all know comrad boris with his AK is a true indestructible force of nature, especially when he has his vodka with him :P

as for hitting infantry, zoom, accuracy and explosives are you friend, i used to do strafes in ww2 aircraft in servers and lets just say it took a great deal of practice before i could reliably hit them.