Using OvGME to apply & manage Mods

Rudel_chw

Out of curiosity, which mods are installed in the DCS world/beta directory?
I’m assuming different mod categories go I different areas?

I recently had an update, so I’ll need to check to see what got thrown off. Haven’t done much yet other than install missions and new aircraft and terrain (mostly the official pay ware once, plus a few freeware aircraft). Oh, and today I updated the monitor config lua.

12 minutes ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

Out of curiosity, which mods are installed in the DCS world/beta directory?

The quantity and variety of User Mods available is staggering, over 1,300 at ED's User Files (plus others available on other places like GitHub or developer's own websites), so I can only speak in very broad terms:

1) Generally, if the Mod ADDS a new aircraft, vehicle, ship, or static object, then it most likely can be installed at /Saved games/DCS.openbeta/

2) If the Mod modifies the base game aircraft, vehicles, ships, terrains or an official 3rd party Module, then it will probably require to be installed on the DCS program folder, its default location being C:/Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/

3) Generally, Skins or Liveries are not really Mods, and can be installed at /Saved Games/ 

4) Custom Cockpits can be usually installed at /Saved games/, but older ones may require to be installed at the DCS program location.

These are very broad guidelines, the final say is always within each Mod's install instructions ... beware of older Mods, as their instructions may be obsolete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I’d imagine missions and trainings are also considered mods, and should be in the saved games directory?

I’m aware some config stuff is in the saved games directory (eg monitor setup), but other config stuff might not be (eg Helios outputs).
the same applies to those using DCS bios.

The trick with cockpit builders is modifying config files such that a valid IC is achieved, but that does involve file modifications. 

i think kneeboards may also be affected in different ways, especially sins Razbam uses a different kneeboard than ED. 

19 minutes ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

I’d imagine missions and trainings are also considered mods, and should be in the saved games directory?

Missions are not Mods, at least according to the file type classification used by ED's User Files repository:

Mi440Nx.jpg

You can store Missions wherever you want, but /Saved Games/DCS/Missions is easier to use as DCS defaults to it when loading "My Missions"

I’m aware some config stuff is in the saved games directory (eg monitor setup), but other config stuff might not be (eg Helios outputs).
the same applies to those using DCS bios.

That's because Helios and DCS-Bios are not part of DCS, they are independent softwares.

The trick with cockpit builders is modifying config files such that a valid IC is achieved, but that does involve file modifications. 

Yes, hopefully ED will develop a better way to prevent cheating .. this kind of thing gives me such a relief about having abandoned MP in favour of SP, which is so much simpler  🙂

i think kneeboards may also be affected in different ways, especially sins Razbam uses a different kneeboard than ED. 

Don't know what you mean, I wasn't aware that Razbam used a different kneeboard 🤔

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

43 minutes ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

Depends on what you prefer. Do you prefer to browse in your own file structure? Or do you prefer to have them populated under each aircraft? 

My own missions, I just put under Saved Games, while campaigns, missions I use often and some training missions I put in core under each aircraft. 

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Missions are not Mods, at least according to the file type classification used by ED's User Files repository:

Mi440Nx.jpg

You can store Missions wherever you want, but /Saved Games/DCS/Missions is easier to use as DCS defaults to it when loading "My Missions"

That's because Helios and DCS-Bios are not part of DCS, they are independent softwares.

Yes, hopefully ED will develop a better way to prevent cheating .. this kind of thing gives me such a relief about having abandoned MP in favour of SP, which is so much simpler  🙂

Don't know what you mean, I wasn't aware that Razbam used a different kneeboard 🤔

I read on these forums that Razbam vehicles have their own kneeboard implementation. This came to light when people tried exporting the kneeboard. 

44 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Depends on what you prefer. Do you prefer to browse in your own file structure? Or do you prefer to have them populated under each aircraft? 

My own missions, I just put under Saved Games, while campaigns, missions I use often and some training missions I put in core under each aircraft. 

I suspected this might be the case. I think those are with the aircraft mods in the saved games directory though. 

23 minutes ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

I read on these forums that Razbam vehicles have their own kneeboard implementation. This came to light when people tried exporting the kneeboard. 

Strange .. the F-15E kneeboard works for me just like the one of every other aircraft:

2IHT20N.jpg

5PudAH3.jpg

Guess you stumbled onto some miss-information.

34 minutes ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

I read on these forums that Razbam vehicles have their own kneeboard implementation. This came to light when people tried exporting the kneeboard

First time I hear of this.

35 minutes ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

I suspected this might be the case. I think those are with the aircraft mods in the saved games directory though. 

Apologies, but I'm not sure what you mean as that was not what I wrote at all. All I wrote is that you can choose what you prefer/like. 

Cheers! 

31 minutes ago, BaronVonVaderham said:

This is where I got my information on Razbam kneeboards. As a note, in practise you may only notice if you try to export the kneeboard. 

I see … I use just a single monitor, so I never was aware of this issue, for me the Kneeboard works the same for all my DCS aircrafts.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anybody knew of a workaround for unicode letters causing the zip creation process to fail. I have to go through the failed ones and strip all the accented letters and replace with English non accented ones. Sorry if this isn't making sense but it definitely is causing an issue especially with mods of French origin which uses a lot of accented letters. The same thing happens with symbols and not sure if there is anything I can do. Have just recently discovered OMM but not got round to trying it yet aa I am very happy with OVGME even though it is quite old now . Does anybody use OMM and know if it has the same issues with Unicode characters? The Rafale mod by the Cuesta brothers had about 6 or 7 accented characters which when I removed them it made the archive without error.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I can't install the mod from Currenthill. For example this one https://www.currenthill.com/usa. The program does not see it and the list of mods it is not. If I make an archive with OvGME I get an error:

1.jpg

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X/MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI/32Gb DDR4 3600MHz/GeForce RTX2080 Super/3840x2160/TrackIR v5/Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG+VPC War BRD+BRD педальки/Win 11

21 minutes ago, Vasilich said:

Hi everyone, I can't install the mod from Currenthill. For example this one https://www.currenthill.com/usa. The program does not see it and the list of mods it is not. If I make an archive with OvGME I get an error:

1.jpg

Without deep diving into the matter - Currenthills Assets are meant to go into the savegames folder. You don't really need a mod manager for that. You probably have OVGME correctly set up for the main game installation where it belongs.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Vasilich said:

1.jpg

Unfortunately OvGME has trouble when compressing large Mods, so you wont be able to create a Mod Archive. You can still use OvGME to manage the mod, but you need to keep it in un-compressed form (which doesn’t allow for adding a description nor version number), it would look like this:

EpMtwcS.jpg

Note the different icon for uncompressed mods, vs those created with Mod Archive.

Edited by Rudel_chw
added pic
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Unfortunately OvGME has trouble when compressing large Mods, so you wont be able to create a Mod Archive. You can still use OvGME to manage the mod, but you need to keep it in un-compressed form (which doesn’t allow for adding a description nor version number), it would look like this:

EpMtwcS.jpg

Note the different icon for uncompressed mods, vs those created with Mod Archive.

See, I didn’t know that. Never used this feature in the first place…. thank you.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"