How do I use the ModelViewer for skinning?

Ghanja

I am trying to find a solution how to check the progress of my skins. I assume I can use the ModelViewer for that instead of having to start the game every time but I don't know how.

After loading the A-10.EDM file I would like to check my skin but I don't know where to put the files and what to do.

I am not new to skinning as you can see in the link of my signature but those jobs I checked and tested in 3DS Max (which of course does not work here).

Install the model viewer package normally. Use the file here to run it:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1268545&postcount=5

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

Wow, I didn't know about this, thanks! But where is the A-10 model? I can only find the cockpit .edm. Also, where would I put the skin files? Currently I am just putting the .dds's in the /TempTextures and reloading the mission when I make a change. And not sure if it's something to worry about, but when I run that file to open model viewer from somewhere inside my PC there is a small high-pitch sound that comes on and off until I close model viewer, doesn't happen with anything else, so it's kind of odd.

Edited by Sel94

try: \Bazar\World\Shapes\A-10.EDM

keep textures as ,bmp when in temp textures. Actually dds might be fine if they show up properly. Then later convert them into dds and insert them into the proper .zip file for final use.

Or, you can create your own zip/dds package, then modify a line in one of the config files so the game recognizes your new package

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

How do you play specific animation arguments? And were there any new arguments added with the EDM format?

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

How do you play specific animation arguments? And were there any new arguments added with the EDM format?

Im sure arguments were added to accommodate additional functions in the a10, but I dont have a list.

Does this image help?

35jdu0n.jpg

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Wow. I didn't realize that the default size of the window cuts that bit off.... herp a derp.

try: \Bazar\World\Shapes\A-10.EDM

keep textures as ,bmp when in temp textures. Actually dds might be fine if they show up properly. Then later convert them into dds and insert them into the proper .zip file for final use.

Or, you can create your own zip/dds package, then modify a line in one of the config files so the game recognizes your new package

Thanks a ton, but I need a tiny bit more help. I can't figure out how to load my texture on to the model. It looks like I need a zip file, but I'm not sure what I need in it and where to put it.

Edited by Sel94

Thanks a ton, but need a tiny bit more help. I can't figure out how to load my texture on to the model. It looks like I need a zip file, but I'm not sure what I need in it and where to put it.

Another question would also be, if the textures should have a certain file name to show up. After loading the model I can see the file names on the left but does that mean, that I have to save my files with that name as long as I am painting? Or is the there a default name (like in the template) so it shows up too?

mview.thumb.jpg.d7e0f39b1387061b66f7ec89034e6c58.jpg

Thanks a ton, but I need a tiny bit more help. I can't figure out how to load my texture on to the model. It looks like I need a zip file, but I'm not sure what I need in it and where to put it.

Save your .bmp files into the temp texture folder and they should show up. That folder takes priority over the .zip files

Another question would also be, if the textures should have a certain file name to show up. After loading the model I can see the file names on the left but does that mean, that I have to save my files with that name as long as I am painting? Or is the there a default name (like in the template) so it shows up too?

Textures need to match existing texture names. I think theres a way to edit the .skins file to insert your own, but the easiest way is to just put your textures, with matching file names, into the temp textures

• Like 1

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Textures need to match existing texture names. I think theres a way to edit the .skins file to insert your own, but the easiest way is to just put your textures, with matching file names, into the temp textures
So I guess I will have to save them with the same names as shown in my screenshot then while I am testing. I was just wondering for what the texture mounting (zip or dir) is for that can be found under the tools section.

Its pretty easy to make your own unique texture without replacing existing ones.

Easiest way to do it is to go into bazar/liveries/A-10C. Copy and paste one of the folders and give it a new name. This will be the name of your skin appears under when you select it from the payload screen or with the model viewer.

Inside the new folder you created is a file called "description.lua" Open it with a text editor, this specifies the names of the textures the sim should look for whenever your new skin is being used. The 2nd line for the 3sqn skin reads as

{"A-10C_PAINT_1-a", 0 ,"3Sqn_RAAF_a",true};

You can either place your dds or other image files inside of the temptextures folder OR you can place a .zip or .rar package of your textures within the Bazar/world/textures folder.

If you place it in bazar/world/textures you will need to add a line to the graphics.cfg file which is located in the config folder.

Once you find graphics.cfg open it up in a text editor and find the section "VFSTexturePaths"

After the bracket add a line

path = ".\\Bazar\\World\\textures\\Name of your rar or zip of textures.

Yes, I know but that would be the end of the line. What I was asking for is a quick method of checking the progress of my work without having to start the game. During my painting efforts I usually have quite a few programs running and really don't feel like starting up the game all of the time. The ModelViewer seemed like a good option to me ...

Well by doing what I outlined and within the modelviewer go to "View>Dialogs>Show Liveries Dialog" allows you to select from the textures you have added to the sim.

example.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 years later...