DCS: F-14 Cold and Dark (Startup Video)

Cobra847

One question Cobra847:

You have wrote somewhere that you will tone down or remove that "anoying" buzz-tone background noice when Jester is speaking, it was also heard with Jester-UI. Is that still the planned?

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:O Just like that sales of Voice Attack goes through the roof. I have been resisting purchasing it for months as never really saw a need for the program.

Darn thing is now downloading and installing. ;)

Thankyou HB, you truly are developing a groundbreaking module here, that has to be one of the if not the best video for DCS I’ve ever seen.

Will the Voice attack profile you guys have used be included with the module, or if not any chance you could make it avalible on the forums?

There is however one problem with this video.

Up until 30 mins ago, I was 110% dedicated to being a full time RIO, HOWEVER this system is screaming at me now to jump into the front seat just to interact with Jester via voice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Awesome video.

During the engine indicator test, Jabbers said the TIT indicator should be around 500, but it was at 400?

Also, if the canopy is closed, how do they interact with the ground crew chief to remove the auxiliary air supply? Hand signals?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Awesome video.

During the engine indicator test, Jabbers said the TIT indicator should be around 500, but it was at 400?

Also, if the canopy is closed, how do they interact with the ground crew chief to remove the auxiliary air supply? Hand signals?

IRL they had hand signals, you can set the ICS to Hot Mic though, that'll let you talk to the chief via the headphone connection in the nose-gear well.

Great video, thank you.

Out of curiousity, how long did you need to set-up the voice-attack commands to get Jester to respond to the queries from the pilot?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I bought vioce attack few months ago, never used it that much but now I would be revisiting the software on a more serious note.

The Heatblur crew have shown amazing feats with epic and unique features.

Cobra had always emphasized that we would be impressed in his newsletters and he definitely knew what he was talking about.

I am impressed.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

IRL they had hand signals, you can set the ICS to Hot Mic though, that'll let you talk to the chief via the headphone connection in the nose-gear well.

So, if this had been done in the startup video, we would have heard the crew chief respond, right?

And if e.g. we don't actually ask the crew chief for a disconnect and say "Check", the Jester will complain? Just wondering if all these checks are non-conditional or they already have the necessary conditions implemented and checked.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Thanks for the video. What a great module it is.

Conspiracy mode on:

To include a takeoff within a cold and dark video from runway 27 while the next OB patch is on the 27th?

Conspiracy mode off!

This video is also a good presentation of what Voice Attack could do. It is now on the “i need this” list to, thanks!

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

One question Cobra847:

You have wrote somewhere that you will tone down or remove that "anoying" buzz-tone background noice when Jester is speaking, it was also heard with Jester-UI. Is that still the planned?

I am wondering about this as well. Maybe Cobra was only talking about the static sound while the radial menu is open.

They also said they would turn down the volume of the RIO flicking switches in the back. Not sure if they already did, I think they're still a bit too loud. I know it sounds nitpicky and I know they do that to simulate haptic feedback but I feel like it sounds a bit weird to hear them so loud and clear from the back, with the ECS and engines running and all. No big deal though, it's wip after all.

All in all, the attention to detail in the sound design and in the cockpit is striking. The OFF flags on the engine instruments slowly disappearing, the fade in when you power on the VDI, good stuff guys!

Edited by Manuel_108

Very nice video. Sounds are excelent! Only thing whats bother me sre those static noise sounds when rio talks. I hope this issue wIll be fixed before releasing of Tomcat.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

I'm guessing/hoping that the assisted startup profile for VA will be able to be linked to VAICOM PRO and between them they will hopefully also deal with the general voice interface commands between the pilot and RIO, thus removing the need for the radial interface.

I know I'll be getting Voice Attack and Viacom shortly haha

From my understanding the Assisted Start up is available in all modes, since its jester going through the checklist with you, so it wouldn't make any sense to not have it available in MP as well.

Though online I'm sure we will truncate our start ups to leave out the checks

"Chops"

2nd: There was one little thing in the start-up that left me scratching my head a little bit. The part after Jabbers does the wingsweep test where he sets the wings to auto, and says there is no indications so we have to trust the wings are in auto. Why do the wings not sweep to auto? Why is there no indication? When he is on the threshold he pushes the wings all the way forward and sets them to auto again? Not sure what is going on here, hopefully someone can explain the procedure and why it is like it is. :)

It is because the wings are in oversweep when the auto button was pressed. The wings need to be at 68 deg or less and the master reset needs to be pressed anytime the the emergency wing sweep handle is moved.

If the wings are in oversweep and you hit the button for "auto", the indicator will continue to display oversweep and emergency until with wing sweep handle is moved to 68. Once you set it to 68, press down the handle, and hit the mast reset; the CADC will take over and motor with wings as needed as part of the wing sweep program. The auto flag will also display on the indicator at that time.

-Nick