BUILDING NEW PC SEEKING OPINIONS - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
Ranma13

Having just built a new PC myself last month, I can give some insight.

For Threadripper, if you don't know if you need it or not, you don't. DCS only runs on two threads, one main thread and another for audio processing, so more cores won't give you any benefit; what you really need is the highest clock speed you're willing to get. The 2950X is way overkill for just playing DCS, and you would be much better served by an i9 series chip like the i9 9700K that can hit 5.0 GHz easily, which right now seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to price vs speed.

For RAM, you're going to want 32GB for DCS World. The speed doesn't really matter, just pick up whatever is within your price range. If you're on the fence, get 3200 MHz RAM. It's not that much more expensive than 2400 MHz, and there's a large selection out there.

The 970 Evo is a good choice for a SSD.

The EVGA 1000W PSU is way too overkill. Modern day computers don't use that many watts, and 1000W PSU's are fairly long, which can cause compatibility issues depending on which case you get. Stick with something around 600W or so. Even with everything overclocked and running straight-up benchmarks on both the CPU and GPU simultaneously, you're going to have trouble getting past 500W. A 600W PSU will give you a 100W head room in the unrealistic case that both your CPU and GPU are taxed 100%.

For the CPU fan, if you don't want to get an AIO water cooler, I recommend either the Noctua NH-D15 or the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. They're huge heatsinks, but they're also the best of the best air coolers, matching the AIO coolers in performance.

And here's where I come to the part that may sound rude, but I feel that it needs to be said. It sounds like your experience with computer hardware is very limited, and whoever is telling you that you need to buy X and Y either does not know what they're talking about, or is trying to rip you off by selling hardware that you won't even get close to the limit of. I strongly, strongly recommend that you do some research into computer hardware and read posts either here or on reddit.com/r/hoggit and see what others have asked and have recommended. Things get a bit subjective once you start to zero in on exactly what you want, but right now your requirement is that you want to get to the grocery store by riding a space shuttle.
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Der Hirte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZQuickSilverZ View Post
Any thoughts on anything else besides the CPU?
How important is bang for the buck for you?
If a lot then build a Ryzen system with probably a AMD card and overclock it.
If not a lot but still build the usual X370 or X390 chipset with 8700K/9700K, maybe 9600K or 9900K and overclock it.
If you want best performance and money isn't really a concern for you for this setup then build a X299 Intel machine, get a second card for SLI and overclock it aswell.

Which is it? Also the Pimax 5K+ and Pimax 8K are really worth looking into, Rift and similar are getting obsolete.
Quote:
I also had a question. The Threadripper 2950X CPU lists DDR4 2933 under memory types. Does this mean I can only use 2933 RAM?
Not 100% sure if it's different from the usual situation with Threadripper but with the current Intel for example they are declared as supporting 2666 Mhz but can run higher clocked kits once XMP is turned on in the BIOS. This on the other hand overclocks the memory controller of the CPU. But they can run higher clocks.
Quote:
Another question I have is if the 2080ti is really much better than the 1080ti? Seems the 2080ti's are having some quality issues. At any rate here is my build.
Depends on the application you are testing it in but on average it's 25% stronger. Say 15 to 35% or rarely 40%.

Last edited by Der Hirte; 02-22-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Der Hirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #13
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
So to clarify the processor is really for servers and not for gaming? It is inappropriate for the job I am using it for?
Yes and yes

Quote:
So the CPU is a waste of money?
It depends on your needs ... if you want a Server for running multiple virtual machines at the same time, its ideal and more cost effective than an Intel Server processor of comparable performance. If you want to run a game that uses mostly a single core, then yes, it is a waste of money.

Quote:
Can you clarify your reasoning a bit more.
There was a time when desktop processors just had a single core, that was used for all the processes that your PC was running. A game had to share that single core with the operating system, so a game never achieved its maximum performance.

Then, on 2005 Intel released the first dual core processor, the Pentium D ... it was nothing more than two full processors on a single chip ... thus at that time they didnt use the term dual-core, but dual processor. AMD released little after its own dual core, the Athlon 64 x2

Of course, the dual core chips were a success, as now the games could use a single core to full capacity without cempeting with Windows processes .. so there was a very real performance increase.

At about the same time, each core's performance began to reach limits that were hard or expensive to surpass each year while customer expectations were a bit unreasonable, being used to big increases every year.

Thus appeared the quad cores processors ... now the term core had more sense, as the chips were no more two processors on a single chip, but some processor components began to be shared among all the cores: the memory controller, parts of the cache memory, the graphics controller, etc ... so only the processing units were quadrupled.

The real performance of each core didnt increase much, but as there were 4 of them, the manufacturers began to use benchmarks that highlighted the 4 cores, giving the impression that the new chips were double the speed of the previous 2 cores ... when actually the speed of each core had a much lower increase.

So, now, you are considering a 16 core processor ... these multicore benchmarks give a score almost 16 times higher than a single core ... but you try to run DCS on them and realize that you are not getting 16 times the performance ... that's because DCS is using just a single core (actually two, but the second used just for sound, not being a really big performance improvement).

Thats why I suggested that you focus a bit more on single core performance ... tough the chip you will purchase will most likely still have 4 cores so that DCS will not be competing with the operating system.

Keep in mind that single core performance increases are hard to get, so try to avoid spending 100% more on a processor that will give just a 20% increase, you can use the Single Core Passmark rating for comparison between processors:

Intel 9900K has a single core passmark of 2900, but costs US$ 520
Intel 8700K has a SC passmark of 2700, but costs only US$ 360

best regards
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #14
ZQuickSilverZ

OK based on the info here I am going to revise my build and submit BUILDING NEW PC SEEKING OPINIONS 2.0.

I might do a 3.0 based on feedback then delete the threads so my threads do not trash up our cherished forums.
"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.
ZQuickSilverZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
Der Hirte

Quote:
OK based on the info here I am going to revise my build and submit BUILDING NEW PC SEEKING OPINIONS 2.0. ...
That's doing more harm than good moderation wise, just stay in here. What do you want, see post #12?
Der Hirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #16
ZQuickSilverZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Hirte View Post
How important is bang for the buck for you?
If a lot then build a Ryzen system with probably a AMD card and overclock it.
If not a lot but still build the usual X370 or X390 chipset with 8700K/9700K, maybe 9600K or 9900K and overclock it.
If you want best performance and money isn't really a concern for you for this setup then build a X299 Intel machine, get a second card for SLI and overclock it aswell.
I wanted the best performing PC I could build for $4,000 or under. However I do not want more PC than I need.

Basically I play PC games (DCS, First Person Shooters, Racing Games), run 1 virtual machine (only used for web browsing) and that's about it.

Quote:
Which is it? Also the Pimax 5K+ and Pimax 8K are really worth looking into, Rift and similar are getting obsolete.
I will eventually get a VR headset. I am thinking the 8K. I know VR is demanding however and I am wondering if my PC build will run DCS on a Pimax 8K.

Quote:
Not 100% sure if it's different from the usual situation with Threadripper but with the current Intel for example they are declared as supporting 2666 Mhz but can run higher clocked kits once XMP is turned on in the BIOS. This on the other hand overclocks the memory controller of the CPU. But they can run higher clocks.

Depends on the application you are testing it in but on average it's 25% stronger. Say 15 to 35% or rarely 40%.
I probably will not OC it as the 9 series already runs hot. Last think I want to do is smoke thousands of dollars of parts because I don't know what I am doing.
"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #17
ZQuickSilverZ

XXXXXXXXXXX
CPU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117957

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

$529.99

XXXXXXXXXXX
CPU COOLING

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-065-_-Product

NZXT Kraken X72 360mm - All-In-One RGB CPU Liquid Cooler - CAM-Powered - Infinity Mirror Design - Performance Engineered Pump - Reinforced Extended Tubing - Aer P120mm Radiator Fan (3 Included)

$180.33

XXXXXXXXXXX
MOTHERBOARD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50&ignorebbr=1

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Onboard 802.11ac

$304.00

XXXXXXXXXXX
RAM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA8N26HK2544

HyperX Predator 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2666MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL13 1.35V Black DIMM (288-pin) HX426C13PB3K2/32 (Intel XMP)

$280.19

XXXXXXXXXXX
HARD DRIVE (WILL ONLY BE USED TO STORE DCS OPERATING SYSTEM IS STORED ON SEPARATE SSD)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-742-_-Product

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S500B/AM

$127.99

XXXXXXXXXXX
POWER SUPPLY

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA6ZP8DU2658

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 PQ, 80 Plus PLATINUM 750W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-PQ-0750-X1

$138.99

XXXXXXXXXXX
GRAPHICS CARD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814126263

ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$1,399.99

XXXXXXXXXXX
PC CASE

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA7TD77B2979

anidees AI-CRYSTAL-AR EATX/ATX Tower Tempered Glass Gaming Case with 4 x AI-Aureola RGB Fans - Black RGB version

$149.90

New Build Total: $3,111.38

$333.45 cheaper. You guys are already saving me money

Last edited by ZQuickSilverZ; 02-22-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #18
dburne
Veteran

Looking good!
I am loving my i9 9900k, got all 8 cores running at 5.1 GHz rock solid.
They do run warm so good to get a good cooler for sure.

Suggest you consider upping the ram to say 3200 MHz modules if you have room in the budget.
Also suggest upping the Power Supply to 1000w if you can - those 2080 Ti's can eat some power.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #19
ZQuickSilverZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post

Looking good!
I am loving my i9 9900k, got all 8 cores running at 5.1 GHz rock solid.
They do run warm so good to get a good cooler for sure.
I am a bit afraid of smoking a processor. How do you overclock a CPU anyway?

Quote:
Suggest you consider upping the ram to say 3200 MHz modules if you have room in the budget.
Also suggest upping the Power Supply to 1000w if you can - those 2080 Ti's can eat some power.
The CPU is stated to have memory of 2666?

Memory Types
DDR4 2666

Wouldn't getting 3200 be wasted?

I had a 1000W power supply before but several people on here stated it was "overkill"

Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #20
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
I dont believe that more than 750 W is actually necessary.. on Anandtech tests the total equipment consumption never went over 450w: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13346...tion-review/16
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote