Placing Fuel lever into low power or idle, shuts down the turbine.

DmitriKozlowsky

• 2 months later...

Yes, it does that unless the starter is engaged. Is Your Starter Switch On or Off?

The manual tells you nothing of course, so like many others, I resorted to Chucks guide - but I think it has the wrong startup procedure. It tells you to turn off the Starter. when full RPM is reached.

However. If you create a mission with a hot start/in flight, or use the Autostart routine, you will see that the Starter switch is left ON for flight.

The AutoStop sequence closes the Fuel Flow Lever, then applies Rotor brake once RPM has dropped, followed by the Starter Switch & Fuel Pump Switch.

Same goes for the sequence when you run the Cold Start tutorial.

Just because the starter is on for mission / auto start doesn't mean it's correct.

In the DCS SA-342M, the starter switch is left ON, you cannot use the SA-341 procedure - where the starter is switched to OFF after startup.

IIRC the dev's said DCS was correct for the Gazelle (SA-342M) being modelled.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Just because the starter is on for mission / auto start doesn't mean it's correct. Do this in the Tomcat and your ejection seat isn't armed and you oxygen is off.....

Unfortunately, we have to go on something don't we? The manuals are of little help having no startup or any other procedures at all. Chapter 12, start-up procedure....... empty. Go watch a training mission.

Ramsay: I'm fairly sure it should be left on, and have no doubt the devs have said the way it operates is correct - but the point is that the manual doesn't tell you, and the only other info is a tutorial mission that only covers the basics - although it doesn't tell you to turn it off - which is why I queried Chucks guide.

Don't get me wrong - I use & value Chucks guides - but errors can creep in sometimes, and with no information in the actual manual it can be difficult to know.

Edited by mkiii

yes, it is odd - I assume Polychop bought a set of pilots notes for this version at least?

I did look at a startup video for a 341, and the starter switch is definitely sprung loaded, so you have to hold it in the UP/ignition position & it springs back to the middle/Run position when released after T4 indication.

However: This video shows the offending switch in the real thing is as modelled at least: (skip to 2:14)

The fuel pump seems to have little effect once the engine is started, but we leave it on, only the starter switch will shut off the engine. Is that correct?

The Black & Yellow Emergency Fuel Shut-off valve is not modelled at all, which is a very odd omission. Granted, these are normally locked with copper telltale wire, but they should be there as part of any emergency procedure.

This article describes a civilian 342, including a brief mention of the start switch: http://www.mwhelicopters.co.uk/File/LeapingAhead.pdf

A similar description in this article: http://www.mwhelicopters.co.uk/File/UndiscoveredGem.pdf

Have a look here from about 1:40 in start up procedure.

Fuel pump on for 12 seconds.

Starter to run spins turbine up to ~4000 rpm

Then starter switch to up position until T4 temp reaches 400deg

Then lets switch spring back to center "Run" position.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Nice video, but as mentioned above, the 341 seems to have a different switch setup - that looks like it is a W/A 341 not a 342 as far as I can tell. I don't think the Army had anything other than AH1 (341A or Bs). As always, I may be wrong. ;) BTW - I'm just a few miles away from there...

OKay but it's all I could find on it. Top secret squirrel stuff and those French pilots and all. :) :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I looked too, only finding the vids I linked to (filmed at Middle Wallop - UK), and I think my lack of French language might not help - Google is good to me and usually only provides English language searches - because everyone only writes in English right ;) Oh, apart from everyone who isn't - like the French.