NDB presets gone? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #11
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303_Kermit View Post
Current working of ARK 5 isn't close to the real one (previous was just fine - one set three presets in editor - NDB 1 = Near Beacon for primary AF, NDB=2 Near beacon for backup AF, NDB 3 = left usually free).
It's been said the previous system model was unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelor View Post
The ARC-5 doesn't have the ability to save preset frequencies.
Quote:
How do you actually imagine to use NDB in flight right now? ... is there any other way to have preset for Near and Far beacon but i somehow didn't figured it out yet.
The ARC-5 "FAR" NDB Frequency range and frequency is set on the main control box i.e.

Senaki-Kolkhi Outer NDB = 335 kHz
Frequency Range = 310-640
Dial/Kneeboard = 334 kHz

The ARC-5 "NEAR" NDB Frequency range is set on the NDB 1/2/3 Switches and frequency is set on the main control box (it should need little if any adjustment) i.e.

Senaki-Kolkhi Inner NDB = 688 kHz
NDB frequency range switch "NDB 3" = 640-1300
Dial/Kneeboard = 689 kHz

Quote:
So far there is no logic in current solution.
The two frequencies are on different sub-ranges and can be tuned with the same position of the tuning crank by switching between near/far using the near/far switch.

AFAIK in DCS and RL the Near/Far sub-ranges don't always align, in part because it's DCS and in part because the Caucasus navigation aids aren't contemporary with the MiG-15.

Quote:
I bought a working module, and someone broke it down. It's highly unexpected.
When information/SME feedback is provided, ED adjusts DCS when practicable.

The module hasn't been broken, the change in ARC-5 behaviour was deliberate to make operation of the ARC-5 radio set more accurate.

Tested using a MiG-15 at Senaki, DCS 2.5.6.50979

Note, there is a DCS issue where ADF stops working after a while, AFAIK it effects multiple modules and is not specific to the MiG-15.

Last edited by Ramsay; 07-01-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Add image
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #12
303_Kermit

Krymsk:

Outer NDB 408 kHz, Inner NDB 803kHz

I set Outer NDB into ARK 5:

I also set NDB 3 swich "ON"

Now let's check: I shall find Outer NDB behind my back ~180°:

Right! Now... lets check Inner NDB....

Hmmmm ..... Nothing seems to work. needle turns around without much sense. How is that possible? It is simple

On Senaki - Kolchi the two frequencies are overlaping. Also at Anapa, but Krymsk is anywhere near. Also whats the point in all system - Swich near / far - Swich NDB 1 - switch NDB 2 - swich NDB 3 since i can do the same what you described, much simpler - just by turning "range dial":

As I wrote... I understood what you wrote, it just makes no sense. Can you somehow confirm by any source that ARK 5 was working the way you described? I can contact with "Muzeum Lotnictwa" in Krakow. They have plenty of Lim 1 / 2 / Lim 5 / MiG 15 / MiG 15 bis... Also finding old ARK 5 shouldn't be much a problem. I can make a travel, do a fotos and check what's the truth...

With my best regards
Kermit

Somehow i expirienced problems with sharing my fotos. I'll check later.... Bloody google :-)

Last edited by 303_Kermit; 07-01-2020 at 06:45 AM.
303_Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
Ramsay

Quote:
Can you somehow confirm by any source that ARK 5 was working the way you described?
Unfortunately not, for the ARC-5's operation I'm reliant on ED and info. from forum users who are more knowledgeable / read Russian, etc.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...31#post2518431

Quote:
Krymsk:

Outer NDB 408 kHz, Inner NDB 803kHz

I set Outer NDB into ARK 5:

I also set NDB 3 swich "ON"

Now let's check: I shall find Outer NDB behind my back ~180°:

Right! Now... lets check Inner NDB....

Hmmmm ..... Nothing seems to work. needle turns around without much sense. How is that possible?
The frequency spacing at Krymsk is incorrect for the MiG-15

• OM = 408 kHz
• IM = OM*2 + 13 kHz = (408*2) +13 = 829 kHz

In DCS 1.2.16 the Inner Marker is 830 kHz i.e. correct for the ARC-5's bands.

I don't recall why ED changed it (perhaps there was a conflict with another NDB or there was a typo and the 3 and 0 were transposed 830 --> 803 ? ).

Last edited by Ramsay; 07-01-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
303_Kermit

Ok than I shall organize some sources...
303_Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
Tarres

The "problem" is that the NDB frequencies in DCS are from late 90-early 00.
So , the far-near not match exactly with the math equation that the ARK-5: uses (Far*2)+20.
One solution maybe is "to adjust the Near frequency" of the AB only to match the maths that work in the ARK-5 in the db.

The ARK-10 was one of the first (the first I think) with presets and with the particularity that "NEAR" only worked with the 2-4-6-8 presets, 1-3-5-7-9 were used for navigation only.
The Selector defined two zones I/II to selct if the Near was below (I) ot above (II) the preset, to avoid possible problems with the 3 independent selectors.
Tarres is offline   Reply With Quote