ESSAY, PART 3: Landing and stopping.

Yeah, no, I guess I didn't worded it right. Higher power curve means you need less power to fly faster, so a high power curve glide path means you come steeper but with lower or no engine at all. That's what you described in you video.

High power during approach, hence lower power curve zone, means you need more power to fly slower, so a high power approach with flatter glide path. That's what most people usually do all he time in sims (also microlight aircraft, but that's a different story) but you want to avoid IRL unless absolutely necessary.

Guess where the power curve changes. This chart lacks available power on top (imagine a line on top of it, that's your available power), but still valid for the purpose. You can easily see why you need more power to fly slower and at the same time, less power to fly faster in order to overcome drag,

drag-curve.jpg

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Looks like, we have daren't understanding for high power approach then. My way of thinking is the less you depends on engine on your landing the safer you are.

Take off is different story, you want as much power as possible to be at safe alt as fast as possible.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

My way of thinking is the less you depends on engine on your landing the safer you are

Well, in the end that's the background reason, of course.

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

Take off is different story, you want as much power as possible to be at safe alt as fast as possible.

Yep, that's a whole different story. But also one done very differently IRL and sims, for that same reason (failures). In take offs you want all the power you have (more or less, there's more to bear in mind, in airliners for instance), but what you most look for is Vx, the highest climb speed so if you have an engine failure you're as high as you can when it happens, and also you climb steeper so obstacles are saved sooner. In the sim we rarely look for that, not even sure most people know that concept of highest climb rate versus fastest climb rate (Vy used later).

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

6 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

concept of highest climb rate versus fastest climb rate

Sorry for a little OT, but... what exactly are the proper names/phrases for Vx/Vy? Back in FS2000/FS9 times I was told/tought they were "best angle of climb" and "best rate of climb". Did pilots in WW2 use different phrases for these? I would just like to use correct terms, not fruit of my own imagination.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

8 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yep, that's a whole different story. But also one done very differently IRL and sims, for that same reason (failures). In take offs you want all the power you have (more or less, there's more to bear in mind, in airliners for instance), but what you most look for is Vx, the highest climb speed so if you have an engine failure you're as high as you can when it happens, and also you climb steeper so obstacles are saved sooner. In the sim we rarely look for that, not even sure most people know that concept of highest climb rate versus fastest climb rate (Vy used later).

S!

I do it exactly like in RL in DCS, take off with max power then i accelerate to best climb speed then i start climbing and maintaining that speed, just before 1000ft mark i drop power to continuous, this is how i take off P-51 in DCS.

Same with landing, always im trying to do it just like this guy does it in RL 

At crucial part, he cut throttle completely, so you just gliding.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Whistle-whistle just before touch down in that video is awesome.

Glide on idle is the most likely way to be successful when landing any of the warbirds in DCS in IME.

That said, once you get really good handling the warbirds in DCS and contempt/complacency sets in you can land pretty much anyway you want - even full power and flying like a demented monkey slamming the throttle back and forth. lol

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, jackd said:

where and how do you stop the engine of the DCS Spit?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

PS i like videos, but getting to just that point probably mentioned once briefly in a long vid manual is a thing for me, especially when you're quite deaf LoL.

But i just found it, switch off 2 mags on the dash.

Edited by jackd

To kill the engine first you run the power up till you get 1900 RPM (ensure brakes are full on and stick full aft). Allow to run for 5-10 seconds then pull the mixture lever full aft. Master fuel cock to off. Once engine has stopped then kill the mags.

Why this order?

You run up the engine to help clear the spark plugs.

You kill the fuel to prevent fuel being trapped in the cylinders (compressing liquids = very bad for motors).

You keep the spark going (magnetos)till the engine stops to burn off any fuel in the cylinders (same reason as above).

Now this being DCS some of this may not be much of a concern but if you stop an engine to repair and want to restart to continue your mission you might need to follow the above sequence; I have always done it this way so can’t say if a plain magneto cut is detrimental in DCS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jackd said:

PS i like videos, but getting to just that point probably mentioned once briefly in a long vid manual is a thing for me

then you could just have looked it on the manual:

After taxiing 1. Cool the engine by letting it run for 2-3 minutes at an RPM of 800-1000.  2. Stop the motor by pulling the shutdown lever from its frontmost position all the way back to the slot, then smoothly push the throttle forward.  3. After motor shutdown, shutoff ignition and close the fuel valve. 4. Shutoff all electrical systems.  

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This old video has an innovative approach to avoiding wingdrop nastyness... land with partial wheelbrakes! I tried it and it definitely helps to maintain stability after touchdown: less 'bouncyness' and less tendency to wing dropping. I have no clue as to why this happens, but it definitely makes landing easier for me.

If that video tells you to touch down with the brakes on, that video is full of nonsense. Ignore it.

You achieve a good landing by crossing the runway threshold at the correct speed. That's it. Fly the airspeed and everything becomes far easier. No gimmicks with brakes, no silliness

Per the Pilots' Notes, 3rd Edition September 1946, this is 95mph for a clipped wing Spitfire at full training load (7,150lbs: full fuel, no ammo or bombs) and 90mph for a full wing Spitfire at the same weight.

The approach speed is "20-25mph" above the threshold speed.

• Like 2

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

The thing is that what that video says works in DCS. 1/3 approx of brake pressure makes the landing less bouncy and the wheels better stick to the tarmac, with less wing drop risk. How is this possible I don't know, but it may be an indicación that the landing gear physics aren't working as they should. 

I have no problem to land spitfire perfectly both ways 3 point or 2 point landing.