Looking at RTX 3080 - Concerned about 10GB VRAM for DCS in VR

With the launch of the new Nvidia GPUs and impending AMD "Big Navi" GPU, I'm getting the itch to upgrade and tinker with my machine. I've already got a 2080 ti. However, I'd like use this upgrade opportunity to move that GPU to my living room HTPC.

Performance per dollar, the 3080 is looking excellent. However, the 10GB of VRAM concerns me. Especially since DCS (with Rift S) maxes out the 11GB VRAM on the 2080 ti. Also, at some point in the near future, I am likely going to upgrade my VR headset to something with a bit more clarity as more products become available. As such, I want to "future proof" (I know, that term sucks) for my next headset. For this reason, the 3090, with 24GB VRAM, looks appealing. But at 2x the price of the 3080, I just don't think it's worth it.

All that said, I'm now wondering if, for my use case (DCS in VR), going with a GPU that has lower VRAM, is potentially a step in the wrong direction. Every system has a bottleneck somewhere. Is maxed out VRAM a potential bottleneck, in this case? Or am I looking at VRAM usage, incorrectly?

On another note, supposedly there's a mystery 20GB 3080 SKU that's in the works to 'best' the 16GB Radeon 6900, which is still awaiting announcement. This 20GB 3080 has been leaked on a couple of different sites. Based on previous Nvidia GPU launches, I'd imagine the 20GB 3080 ("ti" or "Super") will get released sometime in Q1, 2021. Waiting for that would probably be the wisest move. But now I'm rambling and I'm curious to get thoughts from those here who are more knowledgeable on this.

Couple of threads in the VR and hardware sections on this.

Realistically I would only expect very modest performance gains going from the 2080ti to the 3080. It might be a bit better for VR. And again, the gains going from a 3080 to 3090 don't look stellar, ~10% or so on average. So far one guy has a 3080 and he claims little improvement coming from a 1080ti which is both contentious and dissapointing.

I was initially excited by the prospect of getting maybe a 50% frame boost with a 3090 vs 2080ti, but it doesn't look its gonna be the case. It might be in the 20-30% range or even less in DCS. So, I'm in holding pattern till things calm down and we see some actual DCS specific info.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Couple of threads in the VR and hardware sections on this.

Realistically I would only expect very modest performance gains going from the 2080ti to the 3080. It might be a bit better for VR. And again, the gains going from a 3080 to 3090 don't look stellar, ~10% or so on average. So far one guy has a 3080 and he claims little improvement coming from a 1080ti which is both contentious and dissapointing.

I was initially excited by the prospect of getting maybe a 50% frame boost with a 3090 vs 2080ti, but it doesn't look its gonna be the case. It might be in the 20-30% range or even less in DCS. So, I'm in holding pattern till things calm down and we see some actual DCS specific info.

Ah crap. I figured I was likely failing at navigating this forum properly and posting in the wrong section. Apologies. I do appreciate your response, regardless.

I think I'm with you, though. When I first learned that the 3090 would have 24GB VRAM, I assumed I'd inevitably be spending the cash. But after seeing reviewers post disappointing real world improvement, compared to the 3080 on all the games I play (minus DCS), it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

I'll hold out for some videos of DCS in VR, where people will inevitably compare the 2080 ti vs 3080 vs 3090, and see what those results pan out to be.

I am pretty sure the 11GB is just "allocated" Whether it's all being used or not requires debugging tool to see.

If it's maxing out 11GB, majority of people are on 8GB and they'd be in trouble.

Solid point. I imagine 8gb vs 11gb vs 20gb will have minimal difference. But in the case of DCS with VR, where we are fighting to maintain 30fps, even with a watercooled, overclocked 2080 ti, I want to make sure my next move makes a consistent difference, even if it is minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Though, at this point I'm convinced that carrier FPS will remain at 30fps or below, even with quad 3090's in SLI.

Though, at this point I'm convinced that carrier FPS will remain at 30fps or below, even with quad 3090's in SLI.

Things like carrier, dense cities, multiplayer, and lots of AI are mostly CPU. If that's what you mostly do, and if you already have 2080Ti, GPU upgrade will not do much for you.

People who do single player campaign missions in VR would mostly see benefits from GPU upgrade.

Edited by Taz1004

Things like carrier, dense cities, multiplayer, and lots of AI are mostly CPU. If that's what you mostly do, and if you already have 2080Ti, GPU upgrade will not do much for you.

People who do single player campaign missions would mostly see benefits from GPU upgrade.

Interesting. Well maybe I should shift focus from the GPU to CPU. I've got a 3900x but the Ryzen 4000 CPU's are about to get announced and reviewed shortly after. If they provide a notable bump over the 3900x, that may be the smarter upgrade path. It would be cheaper and satisfy my desire to tinker, for now.

Yeah, DCS unfortunately is a CPU/thread hog. And its not multithreaded really so mainly you are chasing Ghz and single core performance, hence my choice for a 9700k 2 years ago. And looking a 10700 it doesn't seem like its worth it.

So one quick update, a credible source (Aurelius) does say that going from a 2080ti to a 3090 gives about a 40% boost in DCS. Not worth the price of admission for him, but hopefully a few folks will chime in once they get their cards.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The guy who tested his rig with a 3080 coming from a 1080ti has an older generation PCI-E 3.0 motherboard. The 3080 is a PCI-4 compatible card, but how much performance loss was due to that? Id like to know more about what his equipment might be because I think I have a similar setup.

Also, the 2080 was supposed to double as a Ti type, and the 2080Ti was supposed to double as a titan, correct? Thing with this is that the 1080Ti cards and below had more bandwidth dedicated to the PCI express lanes. Was that the same with the 2080 series non Ti cards? Thats all important when making a judgement about feasibility of upgrading...because from the sounds of it, tech from 2 years ago is severely outdated now even though it technically should be future proofed for at least 5-6 years. On that subject, DDR5 is supposed to be making an appearance soon.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

The guy who tested his rig with a 3080 coming from a 1080ti has an older generation PCI-E 3.0 motherboard. The 3080 is a PCI-4 compatible card, but how much performance loss was due to that? Id like to know more about what his equipment might be because I think I have a similar setup.

Also, the 2080 was supposed to double as a Ti type, and the 2080Ti was supposed to double as a titan, correct? Thing with this is that the 1080Ti cards and below had more bandwidth dedicated to the PCI express lanes. Was that the same with the 2080 series non Ti cards? Thats all important when making a judgement about feasibility of upgrading...because from the sounds of it, tech from 2 years ago is severely outdated now even though it technically should be future proofed for at least 5-6 years. On that subject, DDR5 is supposed to be making an appearance soon.

From what I saw in that thread, his optimizations were non existent and testing methodology was shoddy at best. When testing card vs card, you need to be strict with ensuring all settings are correct between both, otherwise the data is useless

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

I thought I read somewhere that though the 3080 has 10GB's of RAM, it's GDDRX6. With compression it comes out to around 12-14GB's when comparing to a turing...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

PCIe 3 vs PCIe 4 is irrelevant. The bandwidth is there and any differences ( +/- 1 FPS) are due to bus timing or measuring issues/errors.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2104-pcie4-vs-pcie3-gpu-performance/

FWIW wrt 10GB... the 2070 Super in my system is constantly pinned at 8GB in Syria and the Channel map. I very, very rarely will see stutters. The code is managing the VRAM fine it seems. When there is a stutter it is a one-off due to a terrain "scope change" and is fine I guess.

All this said, I'm still waiting for a 3080Ti/Super with 20Gb for my next card. Depending on timing I may do a new Tiger Lake CPU when it hits the desktop platform - preliminaries look good.

Edited by reece146

Yeah, don't go with 10GB for DCS World, even if DCS adds support for PCIe 4.0 DirectStorage relatively fast it'll still be like 1-2 years, but even with DirectStorage, that's just speed, when you want to have a ton of stuff visible all at once that speed won't help you, need capacity for that.

When viewing thing from afar I guess each of those would be low quality LODs so it wouldn't take up as much but I still, why go smaller when you can go bigger.

But this is just my quick opinion, I'd have to look and think about this deeper.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

PCIe 3 vs PCIe 4 is irrelevant. The bandwidth is there and any differences ( +/- 1 FPS) are due to bus timing or measuring issues/errors.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2104-pcie4-vs-pcie3-gpu-performance/

I dont know man, the more PCIE lanes you have in use like sound cards, NVme cards, USB 3.0 cards and the like, the more performance is noted to drop. Now Im not saying you are wrong, Im just stating Id like to see a comparison between this AND a 3080 on updated hardware. And I dont mean like in the link you provided, Id rather it be DCS. DCS isnt Death Stranding.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Gamers nexus did a whole analysis of the pcie 3 vs 4 as have several other people... All come out with the same, less than margin of error differences... Yes if you have those additional peripherals then you might encounter a difference,.. I don't think they tested what would happen for example if you stuck it in an 8x slot or diecided to use all the NVME drive ports available etc...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I see where you are going but the primary PCI-e on a motherboard (slot 1) is 16 lanes/channels direct to the CPU specifically to make sure the primary graphics card is direct connected to the CPU.

All other PCI-e channels could be going through the chipset for sound, nvme, whatever. You need to look at the specific architecture of the CPU and motherboard to know where lanes/channels are going where beyond the 16 on PCI-e slot 1.

There's caveats around multi GPU and using PCI-e slot 2 as well but we aren't talking about that.

FWIW, bandwidth:

PCI-e 3.0: 8.0 GT/s, 15.8 GB/s (x16 channels/lanes)

PCI-3 4.0: 16.0 GT/s, 31.5 GB/s

HDMI 2.1 is rated 48 Gbit/s (6 GBytes/s)

Also, look at the charts in the in the article I linked. Differences are timing issues.

From what I saw in that thread, his optimizations were non existent and testing methodology was shoddy at best. When testing card vs card, you need to be strict with ensuring all settings are correct between both, otherwise the data is useless

We also need to see one run a higher screen rez standard. Not adding PD.

He's still running the OG vive. Like to see and Reverb, Reverb 2 or index have a go at the 3080.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The guy who tested his rig with a 3080 coming from a 1080ti has an older generation PCI-E 3.0 motherboard. The 3080 is a PCI-4 compatible card, but how much performance loss was due to that?

Makes virtually zero difference for GPUs, including RTX3080.

Please keep on using your PCs with PCIe 3.0 and be happy, and let that rumour die.

While it's great for most recent NVME storage (for those that want the ultimate fastest drive speeds), for now PCIe 4.0 makes no real difference for graphics or gaming performance.

Edited by LucShep
added videos

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

While it's great for most recent NVME storage (for those that want the ultimate fastest drive speeds), for now PCIe 4.0 makes no real difference for graphics or gaming performance.

You can argue it makes no difference for NVME storage as well. Playing games on SSD vs NVME is a barely noticeable difference; 3.5s to load something vs 2.3s... doesn't matter.

4DKLA7w9eeA

If/when DirectStorage to load textures directly into VRAM becomes a thing in DCS you could consider that being a reason to upgrade if not already onto PCI-e 4 by then.

That said, that implies there isn't already buffering/caching of "next texture" in place in the code already given sytems have access to lots of RAM nowadays. <not_being_ironic_at_all />

With the latest MSI Afterburner you can check Vram usage per process but I don't know how accurate this is for real usage. I tested this yesterday with Rift S and my 1070Ti 8Gb Vram was full allocated but DCS used ~6Gb when sitting in Mig-21 on ground (Syria) and ~5Gb in F-18. Not tested multiplayer yet. Settings was:

Textures: High

Terrain textures: High

Civ. Traffic: Low

Water: High

Visib range: High

Heat blur: Off

Shadows: Medium

Res. of Cockpit Displays: 1024

MSAA: Off

Depth of Field: Off

Lens effect: Off

Grass: Off

Trees: 70%

Preload radius: max

Chimney smoke: 1

Anisotropic filtering: 4x

Terrain object shadows: Flat

Cockpit global illumination: Off

With low Terrain textures Vram process usage was ~1Gb less. I have ordered 3080 and it have 2Gb more vram than my 1070 + it's more faster and compressed so can't wait ;)

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

I never had a issue with my 8GB Vram either. :D

Don't know if the 20 GB version will give us extra.

I think we must wait again another 2 years, or ED will do magic and wizardry! :D

I was overwhelmed that DCS took 32 GB from 64 GB ram... I don't get that. DCS non optimized coolest game ever. Title for the book of records. :D

But i am waiting now for my RTX 3080 gaming x trio to test, play and have a lot of fun! Besides that next month is my HP reverb G2 coming in! :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

its confirmed there will be a 20gb version of the 3080, im interested in that

Unless I missed an announcement, I wouldn't say it's "confirmed". Nvidia and board partners have not officially confirmed it. But based on all the reputable leaks, I think it's safe to say it is definitely coming. With that said, I'm with you on the wait.

While I do think 10GB VRAM is adequate for almost all games, including DCS, waiting a bit longer for a 20GB 3080 seems like the smarter move. I'm going to hold off on the GPU upgrade, which is out of my control anyway, considering the complete lack of stock.

For now, I'm going to turn my focus to the 4000 series Ryzen CPUs. I know I'm leaving a bit of performance on the table with the 3900x, compared to something like the Intel 10900k.

Edited by oldmanflan