Build Feedback - Canadian Pricing

dooom

I have an OK but limited PC build understanding. My friend has a much deeper understanding than I.

As I am wanting to replace my current PC (i2600K @4.3GHz/1070/32 GB) and begin my VR journey I asked him to run a PC Parts picker list for me.

Can I get some feedback on the following? Ignore the 2070 super... its just a place holder as I'll probably grab the 3080 when available in Canada.

Let me know on the other specs though.. DCS is my main game. I'll use this PC 90% to that end.

He is great with this stuff but doesnt have experience with DCS so we are open to insights/pitfalls to avoid.

CPU

Intel Core i9-10900KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor $529.99

CPU Cooler

Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $159.99

Motherboard

Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $399.99 F

Memory

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $259.99

Storage

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $179.99

Storage

Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $169.99 $169.99

Video Card

Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card $879.89 $879.89

Case

Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case $249.98

Power Supply

Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $244.99

Total: $3074.80

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

The i9 is probably not necessary unless you really want it. I'd do 10850K or 10700K.

Mobo is expensive - what feature does it have that you really, really want? can get decent Z490 stuff in the $200-$250 range depending - maybe less.

RAM, do 3200-CL14 or 3600-CL16. DCS likes fast RAM (fast everything).

I'm running ADATA/XPG 8200 1TB drives in my machine (x2). Cheaper, just as good IME.

Expensive case - what feature does it have that merits that price? Can do something $100 cheaper and not miss anything I'd suggest unless it's a "the style speaks to me" thing.

Expensive power supply - can find cheaper unless something changed in the last 4-6 months.. Really don't need any more than 750W, if that. Most current benchmarking rigs with the 3080 and 10900k are only pulling ~500W before overclock.

$0.02

Also, do your research. I don't recommend a KF series CPU because you'll be losing Intel QuickSync which is used in some products (Adobe stuff, OBS, others) for hardware accelerated transcoding and rendering. For the sake of ~$20 just get the K and keep your options open.

thanks I'll share with him and post any thoughts back. I really appreciate the feedback.

S!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

yeah the more i look at this it makes me really wonder about the balance needed here. fast ram makes sense ... cutting on case, power supply etc seems like the logical part too... i dont need or care for LED lighting in a case. also is a 1TB drive needed for OS? probably only 256 needed for win10 as most of my storage is in cloud now.

yeah the more i look at this it makes me really wonder about the balance needed here. fast ram makes sense ... cutting on case, power supply etc seems like the logical part too... i dont need or care for LED lighting in a case. also is a 1TB drive needed for OS? probably only 256 needed for win10 as most of my storage is in cloud now.

My full install of Stable and OB is over 400GB including liveries and such in Saved\ Games. I have all maps, all modules minus 3 or 4 on both installs. Will probably buy the P-47 soonish. I could delete the Gulf and NTTR on both installs I guess since I never use them but ... nah.

I ended up buying a second 1TB for Steam (IL-2, RoF, FC, Assetto, Project Cars *, etc.).

This is a dedicated game machine with no other real software installed.

Do _at_least_ 1TB for longevity IMO. Getting 6-9-12 months down the road and having to resize due to lack of space is a PITA that can be avoided for not a huge amount of money now. There's places to spend money and there's fluff.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this shopping list. In some areas what has been selected is overkill for DCS, but if the PC is being used for other applications too then there could be good reasons for this.

Some specifics:

1. Getting K not KF = good suggestion. Not enough price differential. Makes near as no difference to overclock potential. And also gives you the option to use the computer with iGPU if you are without a graphics card while you wait for a new GPU to get delivered. (You can still get online, web browse etc).

2. No need for 10 core. i7 8 core fine too. And now that hyperthreading is enabled on the i5 the 6 core 10600K is a great, inexpensive CPU too. For DCS you would be giving nothing up getting the i5. (It would also be a bit easier to keep cool, than the 8 or 10 cores).

3. Memory 2x32GB is overkill. 2x16GB is plenty for DCS. Also I'd get the 3200 CL 14 or the 3600 CL 16 as the OP also advised. Get Samsung B-die if you can... typically G.Skill or Team Group. Not Corsair as their secondary timings are loose.

4. I used to own a Corsair HX1000i. It blew up. No reason. It just blew up. Big bang. Blue smoke. You don't need 1.2kW. 1.2kW is fine as the PSU will hardly break a sweat. 850W, 1000W, 1200W all fine. I'd probably pay the extra for Gold, Platinum and I typically would favour Seasonic or EVGA.

5. Nice Asus Hero motherboard chosen, but it is more than you need to spend. But also the MSI MEG Unify is good for the price (bit cheaper). If I was going to spend more than the Unify I would get the Apex in preference to the Hero. But it is personal preference, not a big deal or difference really.

6. I would stick to M.2 drives... just less messing around with cables and all.

Basically what you got is great, just you could save a bit if you wanted and make a few slightly better choices. Mothing major.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]