MiG-21 has all-aspect IR capability

Is this intended? Every other aircraft in the ACM campaign has rear-aspect only. It makes defeating them unusually difficult.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

IIRC the R-60 has like 10 degree blind spot for incoming fighter and is talked to be "all-aspect" missile as that is so tiny blind spot, but R-60M made it fully all-aspect missile.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

IIRC the R-60 has like 10 degree blind spot for incoming fighter and is talked to be "all-aspect" missile as that is so tiny blind spot, but R-60M made it fully all-aspect missile.

IIRC, the R-60M only has a rather limited all-aspect capability which requires the target to have afterburners on.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Is this intended? Every other aircraft in the ACM campaign has rear-aspect only. It makes defeating them unusually difficult.

Has anyone defeated the MiG-21 in this campaign? I keep talking heaters to the chest- the ****ers are absolutely lethal!

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

I've been having exceptional trouble with this mission as well. Wingman refuses to engage the bandits in the MiG-21 mission, just keeps saying "Negative", until he takes an R-60 to the face, after which it becomes a 2 vs 1 dogfight with the MiG-21's just shooting R-60's at me until I run out of flares, which only takes a couple shots since just a few flares rarely decoys the R-60, regardless of aspect.

I've even tried diving down low and trying to bait the MiG-21's into breaking the hard deck, I've tried going high but you can't really fly from out of the sun since it's really high in the sky. I've been loving the F-5 BFM and ACM campaigns, and I've been learning a lot, and getting better at, air-to-air (which up to this point I hated because I was terrible at it), but this mission is just teaching me how to fly away in full afterburner, not teaching me any more ACM.

I think this mission needs a review and make it easier to get into the merge (past the head-on R-60 shots), or change the opponent to something else if the MiG-21 implementation is limited.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 months later...

Another three months of banging away at this mission and still nothing. Has _anyone_ beaten it? Can I see a track or a video or something if so?

I'd be willing to put down $10 that no one out there can consistently beat this mission. Please take my money and show me a video if I'm wrong :)

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

We retested this mission this morning and agree it's become very difficult with the current AI and missile game engine logic.

You can put them on defensive before the merge if you launch at them without a tone. Also if you go low you might be able to get under them and then behind them.

In our testing the wingman would engage but routinely got killed more times than not (even with the wingman skill equivalent to the MiG skill = excellent).

We have some updates for the ACM campaign so will reduce the AI setting on the MiGs to try and make it a fairer fight for most users.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Thanks for the update Sabre. I’ll try being more aggressive with the missiles at the merge to deny the head-on kill. The only way I’ve been able to save my wingman is to order him to cover me, so he goes after my guy and I go after his guy. If I can get that set up he can sometimes survive.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

I'm not really that Experienced in Jet Combat but as someone that has flown the Mig-21 quite a bit I would give you the following Advice.

If you Try to outrun / out climb it in a straight line that's going to be pretty difficult. It's where the Mig excels. Maybe try to force them into tight Turns forcing them to drain Fuel with AB.

Pressing the trigger on a Missile you have about 1-3 seconds until it fires in the Mig. If you go through the window quick enough they won't be able to Fire.

The radar looks only down 1.5° so of you go low they will have a pretty hard time finding you. There is also a Limitation on how long they can use the Radar. Combined with the limited fuel Time could be your friend.

Sabre, how are you launching your missiles at the pass? I just flew 5 passes and they didn't react to my head-on missile shots at all. All shots were within 6,000 feet.

Sarpalaxan, thanks for the advice. The purpose of this thread though is to discuss the all-aspect capability that the MiGs have in the ACM campaign against the F-5s.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Did they drop flares when you launched? That's what we noticed and it appeared they were defensive and delayed their head on missile shot.

Still an extremely tough mission with the current AI and game engine. Our update will reduce the skill for the AI from excellent to average and in testing so far we can defeat them now.

The campaign will continue if you don't pass the mission so if you are getting frustrated try some of the others and come back to it later.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Did they drop flares when you launched? That's what we noticed and it appeared they were defensive and delayed their head on missile shot.

No flares dropped. All missiles fired from Missile Override Mode, inside of 6,000 feet, with a solid radar lock. Not sure why they're dropping flares for you.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

• ED Team

If I remember correctly, the only way I was able to pass this mission was to swing a little wide and avoid a direct merge. The MiG-21 would turn to maintain nose on target, but in this instance, it seemed that the MiG-21 was unable to gain a high enough confidence in a kill shot with a large crossing velocity across it's nose. I believe I had my wingman hang back a second, and then told him to turn back to cover me, that way he would be looking at the MiG-21s' tails.

However, this tactic only worked like 1 time out of 10, because if you swing too wide, the cross angle/velocity isn't sufficient and the MiG-21 will close on you as you turn toward him yourself; or if you don't swing wide enough he is still able to kill you with a head on shot. And the trick of having your wingman hold back while you bait the aggressors didn't always work either. The 2nd MiG would still press his attack on your wingman a lot of times.

In the end, it took a lot of tries on the MiG-21 mission, and as well on the final mission (no spoilers), but I think that I just happened to get lucky on both.

Glad this is receiving attention though Sabre-TLA. I really enjoyed the ACM campaign in particular.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head