EE Lightning: Why we need it!

Hummingbird

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh :( and mike beachy head died of heart attack too so thunder city is all gone :(
Yeah was not so long ago too, May 2017. :(

Around 2004 I was thinking of taking a trip to Thunder City and fly in the Lightning, I had the money getting the time was the problem and then my younger brother took ill and that was it Ach well.

Still hoping one of the developers for DCS will make a Lightning as that's about the only way of getting something realistic to fly.

I read some of the reports about the maintenance at Thunder city and am now starting to hear of similar "practices" at the one in Stennis about using aluminium piping where it should be stainless steel in the engine bay, I hope they are not true and that the proper materials have been used.

There is a reason the CAA does not let the Lightning fly in the UK - apart from the fact that the RAF's jets cannot catch it ;)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Civvies can not own a plane [in flyable condition] that is capable to go super sonic or hover.

Not quite true, the Folland Gnat is able to exceed Mach 1 in a dive and there are a few of them in private hands.

Clan Cameron

Not quite true, the Folland Gnat is able to exceed Mach 1 in a dive and there are a few of them in private hands.

But that's in a dive..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

No thank you. The thing looks awful and I think it wasnt a very capable plane either if my memory serves me correctly.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

However, they did provide a solution to the problem:

attachment.php?attachmentid=215451&stc=1&d=1565780060

:megalol:

:thumbup:

I see you are a british motoring enthusiast.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Civvies can not own a plane [in flyable condition] that is capable to go super sonic or hover.

Are you high?

Paul allens mig29 is for sale right now. And there is at least one harrier flying airahows in the US. Or maybe just maybe you dont live in a free country?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think it wasnt a very capable plane either if my memory serves me correctly.

It doesn't. Serve you correctly I mean.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Purely an interceptor not a dog fighter.

Designed to get high fast to intercept Russian bombers.

Cold war protector of the Realm.

I love it but not a good fit for D.C.S. unless there's Bears in the air.

The only fighter at the time that could catch the Concord in level flight.

I have read where it has climbed to a height of 80,000"

and had a phenomenal rate of climb.'

Edited by Ibis
more info

Purely an interceptor not a dog fighter.

Designed to get high fast to intercept Russian bombers.

Cold war protector of the Realm.

I love it but not a good fit for D.C.S. unless there's Bears in the air.

The only fighter at the time that could catch the Concord in level flight.

I have read where it has climbed to a height of 80,000"

and had a phenomenal rate of climb.'

Purely an interceptor?

That must be why it could carry up to 6 1000lb bombs, 48 2" rockets in an internal store and upto 6 SNEB rocket pods carrying 144 rockets, as well as twin 30mm cannon and IR missiles for it's interceptor role.

The Lightning F53 and T55 were used in the ground attack role by Saudi Arabia in 1969-1970 against Yemini.

Clan Cameron

Purely an interceptor?

That must be why it could carry up to 6 1000lb bombs, 48 2" rockets in an internal store and upto 6 SNEB rocket pods carrying 144 rockets, as well as twin 30mm cannon and IR missiles for it's interceptor role.

The Lightning F53 and T55 were used in the ground attack role by Saudi Arabia in 1969-1970 against Yemini.

It wasnt designed for that though, it was modified to make it work in the ground role.

It was the best pure interceptor ever made and nearly by accident it could turn well too

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Are you high?

Paul allens mig29 is for sale right now. And there is at least one harrier flying airahows in the US. Or maybe just maybe you dont live in a free country?

You can buy an assault rifle in america but not a kinder egg because its dangerous, makes me chuckle that

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Only if the assault rifle was registered before May (19th?) 1986.

As for the kinder egg... You can't sell food and none food items together. I think it was because a cough mixture killed a lot of children/people.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

It doesn't. Serve you correctly I mean.

Enlighten me, what exactly was it good at besides being fast?

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

In the UK.

Well, I'd argue that isn't all that free anymore, but still probably better off than most of Europe. But anyhow, at least in the US you can own supersonic jets and whatever else you really want provided you have large amounts of cash to spend on em. That being said, you have to work really hard with the FAA to actually fly them supersonic over land, I think the guys that have em do it out at sea.

Only if the assault rifle was registered before May (19th?) 1986.

As for the kinder egg... You can't sell food and none food items together. I think it was because a cough mixture killed a lot of children/people.

Broadly correct, for actual "full auto" assault rifles/machine guns. But manufacturers can also "build" "samples" and rent them out to the public.

Enlighten me, what exactly was it good at besides being fast?

It turned quite well for planes of that era and generally handled without any of the serious vices which other supersonic jets of the time suffered from. Like someone else pointed out, in export F.53 form it could fulfill a basic ground attack role too.

Probably it doesn't feature on a lot of DCS users wishlists because unlike the Tom Clancy techno-thriller birds, they'd actually have to fly it - rather than navigating through several pages of menus and sub menus on an MFD before mashing the weapon release button for a fire and forget solution :smilewink:

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe