Building a player base for WW2 - Page 12 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #111
grafspee

how can we build ww2 player base if normandy map + ww2 assets cost almost 45$+30$
Where the landscape is quite borring imo

Last edited by grafspee; 08-09-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #112
DD_Fenrir

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
how can we build ww2 player base if normandy map + ww2 assets cost almost 45$+30$
Incorrect.

Anybody interested in DCS: WW2 can be made aware of the Map+Asset Pack Bundle @ $59.99. It's on the map module store page highlighted in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Where the landscape is quite borring imo
Irrelevant.

The primary drive of those who fly DCS: WW2 is realism and the recreation of (broadly or specifically) prototypical situations.

For those interested in flying Spitfires, Mustangs 109s and 190s, then, for good or for ill, the primary area of interest is going to be North West Europe. The vast majority of this area is rolling hills with peaks barely getting above 1000ft.

This is of no consequence to those seeking to re-enact situations that did or could have occurred in that theatre historically.

I agree the topography in say Italy, the Alps or over the Balkans would be more dynamic, but these were secondary theatres and interest in such is similarly placed.

To truly bring more people into DCS: WW2 we would need to:

1. Roll out the revised Damage Model - see point 5.

2. Ensure plane match-ups are somewhat more considerately historically matched-up in future.

3. Improve the large variance being experienced by the community in Normandy map performance. Hopefully the planned updates will sort this. However, see point 5.

3. Make the environment more homogenous. The following is required:

a. Flesh out the asset pack with more ground elements that are more easily destroyed by flying players with the weapons they have (and their inherent inaccuracies). I have repeatedly requested fuel bowsers, cargo vessels, mobile AAA, unmounted and unarmoured field artillery. These offer more by: 1. a more achievably destroyed target than the plethora of armour with have currently which require a DH with bombs or rockets - a most demanding ask of the player base with the weapon types and methods of delivery; 2. a more historic target base for the aircraft we have; no Spitfire or Mustang pilot in my memory has ever been tasked with a CAS against armour. That was left to Typhoons (and not so successfully, despite the legends) and maybe the P-47 (my information on tactical ops by jugs is sketchy). The truth is the vast majority of Allied fighter-bomber ops in the ETO was as interdictors, rather than true CAS, because the rate of success in this area was higher as the targets behind the enemy lines were more vulnerable and the chances of successful attack more productive. In short, quit worrying about the frontlines ED and start fleshing out the Rear Echelon!

b. Introduce a prototypical radars and a native WW2 GCI for both sides to promote air-to-air encounters. No-one likes bumbling around a map for half an hour to see one bandit who runs away and then you're obliged to RTB for fuel.

5. Roll fixes and updates out in a more timely fashion; DCS WW2 development rates feel positively glacial at the moment, we've been waiting on further AI a/c additions for 2 years, and whilst most - but not all, I might add - of the promised ground units have turned up, what we get in compensation is a few unrequested SP guns.

6. More consideration for the WW2 community for when updates break things; recent patches introduced new bugs for the Spitfire, massive fps drops for flak and bomber formations and (not just affecting WW2 players) the whole "no-render" Dedicated Server AI debacle. Sure these thing will happen, but for Pete's sake leave them in openBeta and leave the community a Stable Release unencumbered by these - if not game breaking - at least scenario breaking bugs. At least then there is then one game version where we can turn to where these elements are protected.

Whilst the Fw 190A-8 was a fantastic addition with regards points 2, 3a and 5 it is still in need of some polishing. It's a positive step, no doubt but its does somewhat feel like a step on a laboured trudge to an uncertain destination as opposed to a brisk confident stride to the future.

Last edited by DD_Fenrir; 08-09-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #113
tintifaxl

We all must see that WW2 is a mere side project or even a pet project for ED. The F/A-18 and F-16 is where the money is and that's where resources are allocated. Else it's not understandable why everything takes forever and the only map was done by a 3rd party at subpar standard.

Still there are the fantastic flyables, so we have to be patient and hope for the best.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #114
Cunctator

Sadly, I think nobody can disagree here. Month for month the Hornet gets new highly complex weapons made from scratch, while the Fw190 A8 doesn't even have a simple drop tank.

But I think DCS WW2 is on the verge of becoming something truly great, if they could only finish what was already announced so long ago. Week for week I hope to read something about the new AI planes, maps or DM in the newsletter. Once the new DM is out, at least 3rd parties can build up their own future proof modules from there.

I hope the new free map, also usable for WW2, will increase player base and thus the incentive to work on WW2 stuff. A great step in the right direction. At the moment the entry cost seems to steep. Aircraft + map/assets pack bundle + campaign = 120 $. For a comparable experience the vastly more complex Hornet is just 80 $, which comes with quite a lot free missions plus of course the free modern day assets and Caucasus map.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #115
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunctator View Post
Sadly, I think nobody can disagree here. Month for month the Hornet gets new highly complex weapons made from scratch, while the Fw190 A8 doesn't even have a simple drop tank.

But I think DCS WW2 is on the verge of becoming something truly great, if they could only finish what was already announced so long ago. Week for week I hope to read something about the new AI planes, maps or DM in the newsletter. Once the new DM is out, at least 3rd parties can build up their own future proof modules from there.

I hope the new free map, also usable for WW2, will increase player base and thus the incentive to work on WW2 stuff. A great step in the right direction. At the moment the entry cost seems to steep. Aircraft + map/assets pack bundle + campaign = 120 $. For a comparable experience the vastly more complex Hornet is just 80 $, which comes with quite a lot free missions plus of course the free modern day assets and Caucasus map.
exactlty what i tried to say 60$ for maps and assets + another 50$ for plane.
i bet that lots of ppl who have normandy map, dont have assets pack
Old 08-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #116
NineLine
Community Manager

Sorry guys, this post is just going around in circles, as far as the price goes, sales are happening all the time. Closed.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Closed Thread