Tacview 1.3.2 is available!

Vyrtuoz

Tacview 1.3.2 is available!

This intermediate release on the way to Tacview 2.0 is bringing a lot of bug fixes plus nice prototypes of incoming new features like the possibility to display telemetry in objects labels.

I’ve done a lot of tweaks to reduce clutter. For instance, labels are now shorter for objects which are far from the observer. Auto-scale has been improved and fixed to not display giant objects anymore.

There was a discussion about aspect angles wrongly calculated. They are currently calculated in full 3D (including objects roll). It looks like that was a mistake. I’m going to review the issue deeply and will produce a fix as required for the next version of Tacview.

I’m also experimenting with real-time bookmarks injection. For instance, while flying the MiG-21bis, you can now press the CANOPY_anti_ice button to inject a red bookmark at the current time in the flight recording. You can assign this command to a button on your HOTAS so you can quickly remember where to look for action while reviewing the flight later.

Please, let me know which command of your favorite aircraft could be used to inject bookmarks too. For instance, I’m planning to add it on the release cargo button of the Huey. The trick is to find a kind of rarely used (or useless) command which is visible in the cockpit and can also be assigned to our HOTAS. Because FC3 aircrafts cockpits are not clickable, this feature cannot be added to FC3 aircrafts. I’m planning to support a more powerful version of this feature to overcome this limitation in the new flight recorder for DCS.

You can learn more about the new exporter on the dedicated thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=138183

• ADDED Option to display telemetry data in the 3D view for all aircrafts and selected objects
  • ADDED Option to display ground objects labels only on the biggest anti-aircraft threats to the selected objects
  • ADDED Mouse-over objects to display labels or more detailed labels in the 3D view
  • ADDED Selected objects are now outlined (3D meshes only)
  • ADDED Inject bookmarks in the recording while flying the MiG-21bis by switch the flight recorder on/off or pressing the CANOPY_anti_ice button
  • ADDED Added support for NASA SRTM1 terrain (about 30 meters resolution)
  • ADDED Link to Tacview Twitter page in the status bar
  • CHANGED Objects far from the camera are now displayed with shorter labels to reduce clutter
  • CHANGED Tweaked auto-scale to reduce clutter
  • CHANGED Increased head yaw to about +/-180 degrees in cockpit view
  • FIXED DCS World and Falcon 4.0 terrains were not displayed in the Free Edition of Tacview (after the trial period as ended)
  • FIXED Cartridges were displayed as shrapnel for some DCS World aircrafts
  • FIXED Falcon AF airports where displayed in place of BMS airports (regression)
  • FIXED The HUD is now displayed at an "infinite" distance so the attitude display is always correct
  • FIXED Sun position recorded for DCS World flights
  • FIXED Threat dome of some destroyed SAM/AAA was still displayed in some rare cases
  • FIXED Ground objects which had left the area were still displayed as destroyed objects
  • FIXED The TrackIR is now fully released when disabled by the user in Tacview so other programs can use it without exiting Tacview
  • FIXED The last version of FSX2ACMI is now properly launched instead of older versions when starting FSX
  • FIXED FSX2ACMI now properly removes itself from FSX exe.xml when uninstalled
  • FIXED Rolled-back to English text for the charts and 3D view when Chinese is active (Because Chinese characters are not yet supported in charts and 3D view)
  • FIXED Sun is now always properly positioned when camera is orbiting around objects
  • FIXED Skybox is now properly displayed when camera is orbiting far from objects

TacviewTelemetryInLabels.jpg

• Like 1
tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

nice!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

How to enable the TrackIR in Tacview

How to enable the TrackIR in Tacview:

• Make sure you are using the latest version of your TrackIR driver
  • Make sure you are using the latest TrackIR game update: A profile named [Tacview] must be visible in the TrackIR program
  • Enable the TrackIR in Tacview by clicking on the little arrow next to the [Cockpit View] button and clicking on the TrackIR option

Tacview supports TrackIR hot plug: You can start/stop your TrackIR at any time without having to restart Tacview.

TacviewTrackIR.png

ADDED Option to display telemetry data in the 3D view for all aircrafts and selected objects

Quite cool.

ADDED Mouse-over objects to display labels or more detailed labels in the 3D view

This is great. It would also be nice to have that white OUTLINE effect for mouse over too.

ADDED Selected objects are now outlined (3D meshes only)

Love this effect. If this affect could be also be done with colors it might have some interesting Tacview 2.0 uses.

ADDED Added support for NASA SRTM1 terrain (about 30 meters resolution)

Could you please make available a sample (it doesn't have to be big) of Nevada SRTM1 terrain. I could troll players who anxiously await DCS 2.0 release and do not read Tacview threads. Actually I would just like to see how good is terrain at this resolution. Do you have to fix the SRTM data from the NASA site or is it ready for use?

CHANGED Objects far from the camera are now displayed with shorter labels to reduce clutter

This works well. I really feel that the default is really good but I still would like a slider to fine tune the effect. If there were a slider near the trails slider I would use it to make the label shortening happen closer to the camera (in some situations).

CHANGED Tweaked auto-scale to reduce clutter

It is a nice default now but still I would like it be even more subtle when at a tactical level view. I would love to have a slider near the trails slider to control this.

FIXED Threat dome of some destroyed SAM/AAA was still displayed in some rare cases

I would like a way to modify the appearance and toggle the threat domes but I realise this is likely a Tacview 2.0 req.

FIXED Ground objects which had left the area were still displayed as destroyed objects

This does look fixed. I still have another scenario where I am creating ghost images of units by overwriting their ID and this causes the unit to be identified as DEAD. I was making use of a trick where in the log I +<ObjectID> an existing unit and it leaves a snapshot of that unit in the 3D view. Like a 3D bookmark.

OK that is my feedback. Cool changes. The outline of the mesh objects looks so cool.

The object under the mouse is now outlined in Tacview 1.3.3! What idea do you have in mind about other uses for colored outlines?

You can put uncompressed NASA SRTM1 files in \Tacview\Data\Terrain\SRTM1\ folder. It is suggested to also put corresponding SRTM3 files in the SRTM3 folder to get the best transitions and interpolations results in Tacview. You don’t have to cleanup SRTM1 or SRTM3 data: Tacview will use data from lower resolution terrains to fill the holes. However, it is suggested to cleanup very uneven terrain like the Grand Canyon.

The rest will be improved in Tacview 2.0. There are some features I cannot push further with the current system...

ADDED Option to display telemetry data in the 3D view for all aircrafts and selected objects

Quite cool.

ADDED Mouse-over objects to display labels or more detailed labels in the 3D view

This is great. It would also be nice to have that white OUTLINE effect for mouse over too.

ADDED Selected objects are now outlined (3D meshes only)

Love this effect. If this affect could be also be done with colors it might have some interesting Tacview 2.0 uses.

ADDED Added support for NASA SRTM1 terrain (about 30 meters resolution)

Could you please make available a sample (it doesn't have to be big) of Nevada SRTM1 terrain. I could troll players who anxiously await DCS 2.0 release and do not read Tacview threads. Actually I would just like to see how good is terrain at this resolution. Do you have to fix the SRTM data from the NASA site or is it ready for use?

CHANGED Objects far from the camera are now displayed with shorter labels to reduce clutter

This works well. I really feel that the default is really good but I still would like a slider to fine tune the effect. If there were a slider near the trails slider I would use it to make the label shortening happen closer to the camera (in some situations).

CHANGED Tweaked auto-scale to reduce clutter

It is a nice default now but still I would like it be even more subtle when at a tactical level view. I would love to have a slider near the trails slider to control this.

FIXED Threat dome of some destroyed SAM/AAA was still displayed in some rare cases

I would like a way to modify the appearance and toggle the threat domes but I realise this is likely a Tacview 2.0 req.

FIXED Ground objects which had left the area were still displayed as destroyed objects

This does look fixed. I still have another scenario where I am creating ghost images of units by overwriting their ID and this causes the unit to be identified as DEAD. I was making use of a trick where in the log I +<ObjectID> an existing unit and it leaves a snapshot of that unit in the 3D view. Like a 3D bookmark.

OK that is my feedback. Cool changes. The outline of the mesh objects looks so cool.

You don’t have to cleanup SRTM1 or SRTM3 data
That is impressive. Now I have to register and download some SRTM files.

*I just downloaded some SRTM1 data and it looks so good in Tacview. Everyone is going to love this. Frantz says post all the pics I want. Just because it was interesting to me I chose Pearl Harbour for my first SRTM1 import. I will try SRTM1 for NTTR next. Hormuz will not have SRTM1 data - there is no SRTM1 for Middle East and Caucaus regions. Shame about that.

bFRpnjY.jpg

What idea do you have in mind about other uses for colored outlines?

About colored outlines - I approach this idea differently to you. I seek extra visual vocabulary for it's own sake. Having more visual techniques to apply to a visualization scenario is powerful. The scenarios are changing as I learn what can be visualized and is worth visualizing.

I am interested in DCS Ground and Naval units. I want to visualise the activity of ALL the sensors; not just radar but also optical, visual, infrared etc. I have used unit to unit lines but the lines can become too much for some scenarios.

The unit to unit lines require improvements. At the moment they terminate at some distance from the unit. I understand this could be due to limitations in the present Tacview 3D engine.

Edited by vicx

I've been flying on the ACG WWII server this weekend and since they've just enabled exporting data so I was able to review in TacView (I'm still on 1.3.1).

One thing I found odd was that after 45 minutes there are no shots fired or impacts shown at all in the recording, even though there were plenty of furballs taking place after that. The same 45 minute break happened in recordings that were 1hr 15min and 2hrs long.

Is the a DCS bug or is there some export limitation somewhere?

There is also the track time box.

There used to be a 'mission time' displayed there as well, and now it is gone. The Mission time was great for synchronizing tracks when we wanted to review for training.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hogg. SAM locks are coming in a future version of Tacview. It requires a new backened to make it work properly.

NeilW you can upgrade to the Pro version. I have no idea how much that costs. I think Vyrt is waiting till the codebase stabalises before making it a thing.

Edited by vicx

You can still read the time in the top left corner of the 3D view (next to the location and date).

This change was because of new GUI prototyping I’m doing during the current minor releases of Tacview. Don’t worry; I have realized how important this information is during my last “online debriefings”. This is why the “master time” is "coming back" and will be bigger in Tacview 1.3.3.

There is also the track time box.

There used to be a 'mission time' displayed there as well, and now it is gone. The Mission time was great for synchronizing tracks when we wanted to review for training.

Sure you can upgrade to Professional!

Just send me, by email, a reference to your current license and I will send you back a link to buy the upgrade to the Professional license. The cost will be the difference plus some unavoidable fee.

Is it possible for Home licence holders to upgrade to the professional version with an upgrade price?

Perfect, and thanks for the tip as well :)

You can still read the time in the top left corner of the 3D view (next to the location and date).

This change was because of new GUI prototyping I’m doing during the current minor releases of Tacview. Don’t worry; I have realized how important this information is during my last “online debriefings”. This is why the “master time” is "coming back" and will be bigger in Tacview 1.3.3.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 7 months later...

Hi Vyrtuoz....

Not sure if this is related to me changing over to windows 10, but the picture in tacview now has much more aliasing (bad). Is there a way to clean up the picture to make the lines smooth? I am running tacview 1.4.0 beta 3.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

I didn’t change anything about aliasing for a long time and - so far - Tacview is working great and is smoother with Windows 10 (at least with my nVidia and Intel graphics cards).

• Which part of the picture are more aliased? Are you talking about the line, font, textures, objects? Can you share a clear screenshot of the aliased part? (in PNG for example)
  • Which graphic card do you have? Are you using the lasted graphic drivers from Intel/AMD/nVidia website?
  • Maybe a long time ago you have forced anti-aliasing options in the driver and forgot to re-enable the same options after reinstalling Windows?